Old 04-28-2021, 08:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 174
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 563 Times in 262 Posts

^Well, that changes my thinking. Thanks, SW.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 749 Times in 428 Posts

My biggest breakthrough was simple, SLOW DOWN. I had no throwing sports background and was completely ignorant of the biomechanics and the kinetic chain. Only after slowing down did the concepts of: feeling the weight of the disc, using centrifugal force, bracing, using the arm as a whip, lateral verses rotational forces, etc. start to make sense because I could finally feel them. I still find myself tapping the brakes.

The second part is that it takes time and lots of study to understand biomechanics and the kinetic chain if you’ve never been exposed to it before.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 45
Niced 717 Times in 347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeRReGoN View Post
You can try to push the disc with your little/ring/middle fingers or do it with your thumb and index as the main control.
Calvin Finger Push

Eagle Thumb Push

Old 04-30-2021, 04:46 AM

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 48
Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

I can't really call them all 'lightbulb moments', but some things I've noticed since beginning a few years ago:

- S-Curving a Star Destroyer 200' was not a natural flight path
- Form, disc choice, and shot shape matters. Like, a friggin' lot..
- Hard and fast run-up != farther throws. Slow down
- A whip cracks the sound barrier far easier than a tense, muscled up karate chop
- Hitting 400' 3/10 throws with 60° of spread is worthless compared to hitting 250' 8/10 throws with 15° of spread
- Blowing up form this year has lost me ~100' of distance, but increasing accuracy has been more than making up for it
- Playing putter/midrange rounds improved my form far more than 20 hours of heaving max DDs as hard as I could across a field
- Eliminating most rounding + Simon's 'plant foot forward' stance gave me an extra 40' or so to play around with
- Having a 2.6+ PPH was killing me. Just dropping it to 2.2 over the past couple months has already been a big confidence boost. Turns out putting practice is important
- Anger kills scores. I'm naturally angry (Got that red-head temper), so finding ways to keep cool after bad shots has been a hard, but useful addition to my game
- Tournament jitters are absolutely BONKERS. My first (and only) tournament I walked in with my big bad 900 DGCR rating thinking I'd finish at least in the top quarter of the REC field. NOPE. Finished 4th from last with a 716 rated +18 round
- There's probably also something to be said there about confidence vs over-confidence..
- Head movement. It's just recently clicked for me to let my shoulders bring my head around instead of just staring at the disc the whole throw
- Also a recent one, using discs for my arm. Throwing an Inertia on it's natural flight path to a 320' basket just feels so much easier than flexing a Shryke to the same spot
Old 04-30-2021, 11:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 6
Niced 936 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
I definitely use the finger spring while putting. When I'm missing low, it's usually because I mistime the spring. I can't imagine ever getting to the point where I could add that to a drive and time it right consistently though.

Fan grip users, are you actively adding push with your fingers just before the disc comes out?

I think not.

Not sure on active or reactive, but it should happen quite naturally. If you are gripping and swinging properly, that finger spring happens without really trying and you can add to it. I think it’s important for people to really establish a good, passive hit before they start trying to add to it. I took a major step backwards by trying to add to the acceleration before I had built up the muscle memory to let it happen naturally. So instead of adding to the acceleration I was just strong arming and screwing the whole system up lol
Old 04-30-2021, 12:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 174
Niced 563 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
My biggest breakthrough was simple, SLOW DOWN. I had no throwing sports background and was completely ignorant of the biomechanics and the kinetic chain. Only after slowing down did the concepts of: feeling the weight of the disc, using centrifugal force, bracing, using the arm as a whip, lateral verses rotational forces, etc. start to make sense because I could finally feel them. I still find myself tapping the brakes.

The second part is that it takes time and lots of study to understand biomechanics and the kinetic chain if you’ve never been exposed to it before.
There was a guy on DGR whose sig was something like: Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is far.

Maybe not 100% accurate, but easy to remember.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 749 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
There was a guy on DGR whose sig was something like: Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is far.

Maybe not 100% accurate, but easy to remember.

I wonder if that was Danny Lindahl since his catch phrase is "Slow is smooth, smooth is far."
Old 05-01-2021, 03:23 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 284 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Lots of small breakthroughs over the years got me to my current plateau. Most recently I realized I was landing on the side of my plant foot and rolling it to flat. Landing toe to heel flat on the ground has made it much easier to brace and resist. My right hip doesn’t feel jammed anymore. Also explains why I could throw close to my max distance on one leg.

WOW. Thankyou sir! (So obvious in crush the can but never saw it that way)

Niced: (1)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

This is more of a lightbulb about goal setting with form work that I had recently...if you are trying to improve your distance , going to the field trying to hit a specific distance goal is really not beneficial. You often end up frustrated and just reinforcing whatever bad habits are holding you back. Instead, try going to the field with a goal of hitting the same distance you have been throwing, but with 20% less effort. Focusing on less effort will keep you loose and get you to slow down and you’ll probably end up smoothing one out there 40 feet further than you’ve ever thrown.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Calvin Finger Push

Eagle Thumb Push
Solid gifs!
I like watching Barsby. His putt and upshot are one in the same