Old 06-16-2021, 01:07 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

I've had a Thunderbird from a players pack from a few years ago and I just put it in the bag for the first time this year. Needless to say, The more that I throw this disc, the more that I'm in love with it! The one that I have is a glow champ, so how do the other plastics compare with stability?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2021, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,648 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny53691 View Post
I've had a Thunderbird from a players pack from a few years ago and I just put it in the bag for the first time this year. Needless to say, The more that I throw this disc, the more that I'm in love with it! The one that I have is a glow champ, so how do the other plastics compare with stability?
Star-more stable, GStar-similar but beats in maybe a bit quicker, Pro-similar but beats in much quicker, DX-less stable. At least for my noodle arm. People that throw harder might see a little more separation when new. Haven’t tried a pure champ because every plain champ disc I’ve bought lately has been an unusably overstable brick
Old 06-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 43
Niced 1,602 Times in 797 Posts

Never thrown a glow. To echo Ogre, typical Innova:

Champ>Star>Gstar>Pro>DX.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 73 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny53691 View Post
The one that I have is a glow champ, so how do the other plastics compare with stability?
I have a couple flatish champ glows from 2017 tournaments. -- best flat-to-hyzer thundys that I've thrown. I love them for a low forehand line.

My plain champs (McBeths) started out more overstable and have gotten straighter as they've aged; the glows seem to hold their fade as they beat a little better, kinda like an OLF. I have a newer champ with a 2019 tournament stamp that is more domey and slots in closer to my Firebirds.

The stars I have thrown have been more stable than champs; never threw one enough to see how it beat in. The pro has a shot shape like my beat glow champ when new, maybe a tick more turn.

Early DX thundys were nice -- stiff and stable. The newer ones I have thrown have been softer and don't handle my torque very well.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-16-2021, 04:39 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts

The star thundies, prior to them being embossed, were beef. Probably 17 or 18. Mcbeth 3x Champs were straight with a little finish.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 61
Niced 38 Times in 28 Posts

whats closest to the first run star teebirds these days?
Old 06-16-2021, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 18
Niced 645 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekdo View Post
whats closest to the first run star teebirds these days?
Super beat Star Firebird. Sorry, i know you were asking for a real answer not a semi smart ass one. Although, despite not really being the answer you were looking for, it does not mean it is not true.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:04 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts

I have a factory second Champion Thunderbird that is absolute money, it's probably my favourite disc in my bag. Max weight and it can take all the power I have while still being quite workable. I can work it on a lot of different angles and it's not too much work to throw it straight. It goes almost as far as my distance drivers and a full power shot will consistently land me on the 120m mark. (it's not beat up, it flew like this out of the box)

Now to the problem... I own three more Champion Thunderbirds that I got as backups and all of them are A LOT more overstable and dumpy. They're very close to firebird stable, definitely a notch more stable than my Felons and my PDs. They start fading much sooner than the money one, the fade is a lot dumpier and I need to really crank them over to flex them into a straight shot. The plastic on these seems firmer and more pop top, maybe a touch more domey.

What gives? Any insight to what is the normal? I used to throw Vultures and the money one is just a touch more stable compared to those, which is what I wanted, but the rest of the Thunderbirds.... yeez.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:41 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 57 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzcar View Post
What gives? Any insight to what is the normal?
Champs have become more OS than Star at this point. Originally, they were more neutral and like a stretched out TeeBird and the early stiff Star ones were OS. If you want a neutral one, seek out the older penned runs that have a slight dome. Could also look at the Savant/OLF for a current run stock disc.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:54 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @CD- View Post
Champs have become more OS than Star at this point. Originally, they were more neutral and like a stretched out TeeBird and the early stiff Star ones were OS. If you want a neutral one, seek out the older penned runs that have a slight dome. Could also look at the Savant/OLF for a current run stock disc.
I'm not interested in chasing a certain run, that feels like a frustrating ordeal. I might just return to Getaways or Vultures.