Old 12-07-2020, 03:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 593
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,731 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I would take a look at Mt McSauba in Charlevoix. Lacks a bit of spit and polish, but it is a great course and a good hike. One of my favorites in the state.
Sorry to double quote you ru4por, but I did a little more reading. Took the 2 Hickory Hills courses off and added Mt. Mcsauba. I'm thinking Rocky Top Farms then Mt. McSauba. It appears Hickory Hills was redisgned and changed to 2 18's as opposed to the old single 24 hole layout. Good looking out though ru4por
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 661
Niced 3,381 Times in 1,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I played Flip a couple years ago. 2 or 3 years ago, can't remember. Absolutely love it. So nice I played it twice. Time permitting on next years trip I might try to hit it up again.

That was a trip around the bottom of the lake and that's as far up as I got.
oh i didnt know you have been there nvm then haha
Old 12-07-2020, 01:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 175
Niced 568 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
We used to drive from MD to WI every year. The entire trip was planned around what time to drive through Chicago. Really not too bad if you avoid rush hour(s).
Not saying our traffic doesn't suck, (It does!) but this is really the correct approach for all metro areas when planning a road trip. Nothing like getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic when you are just passing through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I would take a look at Mt McSauba in Charlevoix. Lacks a bit of spit and polish, but it is a great course and a good hike. One of my favorites in the state.
When was the last time you were out there? I'm pretty sure there was a redesign in the last few years. The layout I played 3+ years ago was awesome. You aren't kidding about the hike though. With all the elevation and sandy terrain it's no walk in the park.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,768 Times in 2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
Not saying our traffic doesn't suck, (It does!) but this is really the correct approach for all metro areas when planning a road trip. Nothing like getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic when you are just passing through.

When was the last time you were out there? I'm pretty sure there was a redesign in the last few years. The layout I played 3+ years ago was awesome. You aren't kidding about the hike though. With all the elevation and sandy terrain it's no walk in the park.
I did not get out there this summer (stupid COVID), but played it last year. They layout is the same, or very close.

McSauba is a revival course though. Many years ago the course was closed, rumored to have been the target of a overzealous local constable, not caring for the course in his local park. The course was redesigned and put back in 2012. I don't believe there has been any real changes since then, unless they occurred this past summer.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

^That's good to hear. I must have either confused the redesign talk with another course or it's been way more than 3 years since I played it. Either is very possible.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
^That's good to hear. I must have either confused the redesign talk with another course or it's been way more than 3 years since I played it. Either is very possible.
Hickory hills got a redesign a couple years ago it looks like. It's not too far away. Maybe that's the one you were thinking of.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Hickory hills got a redesign a couple years ago it looks like. It's not too far away. Maybe that's the one you were thinking of.
It probably is. Those two courses have a bit in common terrain wise. Both on and around small ski hills near the lake. I haven't played Hickory since the redesign.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 158
Niced 1,335 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
So I'm starting to map out my first trip for 2021 to NW Michigan via the UP. I want to (finally) play the Mason County courses. I'm thinking a 7 day trip to Ludington and back, maybe 8 days.

Day 1-From home (central WI) to Mackinaw City.
Ludington Links-Escanaba, MI
Pioneer Trails-Gladstone, MI

Days 2-4 or 5-Mackinaw City to Ludington to Traverse City
Mason County Beauty-Ludington, MI
Mason County Beast-Ludington, MI
Mason County Goliath-Ludington, MI
Leviathan-Ludington, MI (If open by then)
Labyrinth-Scottville, MI
The Edge DGC-Scottville, MI
Whiskey Hills-Custer, MI
Myles Kimmerly-Maple City, MI
Hickory Hills North and South-Traverse City, MI

Day 5 or 6-To Marinette WI
North Bluff DGC-Gladstone, MI
Cedar Ridge DGC-Menominee, MI (have to look into this one yet)

Day 7 or 8-Home
Bag as many dinkers that I can on my way back in NE WI

So my question is what, if anything may I have overlooked in MI? Blissfest, Deerfield? If I had extra time Flip isn't too far from Ludington so that'd be an option. Anything I need to know, did I miss something? Thanks in advance.
First, thanks for reminding me I never marked as played the ones I played when I did a very similar trip in September.

I didn't play nearly as many as you are going to....

Hickory Hills was only 1 course when I was there. The other was pulled at the time. A local told me he had no idea when it would be up. But the one course there is great. If/when both are up, that will be a really nice 2 course site.

If you haven't played Flip City, I really think you need to extend your trip to get there.

North Bluff was cool.

The only one you don't have listed that I played and would recommend is Mt McSauba. Easily the best view I have ever seen from a course. There's 2 top of the world shots off the same spot, but opposite directions, and from the top you have like 180+ degrees of Lake view. It's amazing. The course was super fun from what I played, but I got lost and it got dark, so I just chilled on that hill for a while then bombed down it and bailed.

If you find Blissfest, let me know where it is!
I stopped and walked around a decent amount of the property and never saw anything disc golf related.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,768 Times in 2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
First, thanks for reminding me I never marked as played the ones I played when I did a very similar trip in September.

Hickory Hills was only 1 course when I was there. The other was pulled at the time. A local told me he had no idea when it would be up. But the one course there is great. If/when both are up, that will be a really nice 2 course site.

If you haven't played Flip City, I really think you need to extend your trip to get there.

North Bluff was cool.

The only one you don't have listed that I played and would recommend is Mt McSauba. Easily the best view I have ever seen from a course. There's 2 top of the world shots off the same spot, but opposite directions, and from the top you have like 180+ degrees of Lake view. It's amazing. The course was super fun from what I played, but I got lost and it got dark, so I just chilled on that hill for a while then bombed down it and bailed.

I stopped and walked around a decent amount of the property and never saw anything disc golf related.
Yeah, Blissfest is tough to find. The directions don't take you to the correct entrance. I don't think the correct one is open much. You have to go in and drive around to find the course. I hope a local fixes this. I don't remember enough to help. We were lucky to have found it.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post

North Bluff was cool.

That's the second recommendation for Mt. McSauba now. I took Hickory hills off and added Mt. McSauba a couple days ago. Time permitting and how tired I am, I may try to find Blissfest.

I played Flip on my last trip over there. Loved it. That was as far up as I got though. Went around the bottom of the lake last time.