Old 04-29-2021, 08:29 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 73 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I think the issue is when you have a constant rotation of new players that destroy the lifetime 8xx folks.

If it takes 950+ golf and eagle looks on par 4's to have a chance to win rec, one could argue that rec has failed its purpose as a division.
And what, exactly, is the "purpose" of the rec division? The ONLY formal qualification for playing in the rec division is that they have a rating < 900. Tournament noobs, whot, by definition, do have a rating, meet that qualification. That's why the default advice here on DGCR to players signing up for their first tournament, regardless of their skill level, who ask what division they should sign up for is to start in Novice or Rec.

The time to address the problem—if it actually is a problem as opposed to a hypothetical "OMG! A NOOB WON REC BY 10 STROKES! IT'S THE END OF TOURNAMENT DISC GOLF AS WE KNOW IT! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!" over-reaction—is when there's concrete evidence that this is actually constantly happening.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2021, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 72
Niced 537 Times in 269 Posts

In general at the events I run, to win it takes a round rating average 20-30 points over the cap and usually that is a PDGA member with a rating that does it.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-29-2021, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 12
Niced 633 Times in 435 Posts

So we have a TD near us that will forcibly move players if they want to, regardless of if the player is ok with it. I'm rated 867 right now, but if I were to play any lower than MA1, he'd try to move me. Ended up backing out of a doubles tourney he was running after he forced us up to MA1, even though both my partner and I were banged up (I had hit a deer the Monday before the tourney, and my partner was having a bunch of release issues), solely becuase we compliment each others play so well. Kinda want to sign up for MA2 at his next tourney and see if he tries to move me. I'd assume there's a penalty from the PDGA for that right?
Old 04-30-2021, 03:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 38
Niced 841 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
So we have a TD near us that will forcibly move players if they want to, regardless of if the player is ok with it. I'm rated 867 right now, but if I were to play any lower than MA1, he'd try to move me. Ended up backing out of a doubles tourney he was running after he forced us up to MA1, even though both my partner and I were banged up (I had hit a deer the Monday before the tourney, and my partner was having a bunch of release issues), solely becuase we compliment each others play so well. Kinda want to sign up for MA2 at his next tourney and see if he tries to move me. I'd assume there's a penalty from the PDGA for that right?
Comp manual 2.01 L - PDGA members shall be allowed to play in any division that they are eligible for, if that division is offered by the Tournament Director. All local rules which force a player to move up divisions based on previous performance are invalid and are not applicable at PDGA-sanctioned events.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 71 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhatton1 View Post
Comp manual 2.01 L - PDGA members shall be allowed to play in any division that they are eligible for, if that division is offered by the Tournament Director. All local rules which force a player to move up divisions based on previous performance are invalid and are not applicable at PDGA-sanctioned events.
One question I've seen raised here before (in other threads), however, is whether or not that clause applies to non-PDGA members too.. which is basically the group that the concern about playing in the 'wrong' division is usually about.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-30-2021, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 593 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
One question I've seen raised here before (in other threads), however, is whether or not that clause applies to non-PDGA members too.. which is basically the group that the concern about playing in the 'wrong' division is usually about.
I take that blurb from the competition manual to say “local non sanctioned events may have their own systems in place to consider previous performances as a basis for moving players to another division but that’s not actually a real pdga thing, so you can’t do it in pdga sanctioned events”.

Basically acknowledging it can/does happen at local non sanctioned or club stuff, those TD’s can do whatever they want. Not necessarily referring to non pdga members as players.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 71 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I take that blurb from the competition manual to say “local non sanctioned events may have their own systems in place to consider previous performances as a basis for moving players to another division but that’s not actually a real pdga thing, so you can’t do it in pdga sanctioned events”.

Basically acknowledging it can/does happen at local non sanctioned or club stuff, those TD’s can do whatever they want. Not necessarily referring to non pdga members as players.
Hmm.. I do still wonder if the two sentences are intended to be interpreted together or not, though?

*If* 2.01 L only include the second sentence:

All local rules which force a player to move up divisions based on previous performance are invalid and are not applicable at PDGA-sanctioned events. .. I agree that it would be very clear that a TD is not allowed to move anyone to a higher division. *But* The first sentence makes it seem like the (whole) clause itself only applies to players who are PDGA members. Side-note: The clause doesn't make any specific distinction between current and non-current members either?

I should maybe add that I personally think it to be a very bad idea for a TD to attempt to move a player up or require them to play a higher division (outside of course when a player with a rating registers for a division that they aren't eligible for). It's not something that we've ever done at any of the events I've helped run. I'm more wanting to understand exactly who that clause of the competition manual applies to.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:28 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 727
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,317 Times in 1,374 Posts

Various clubs used to have bump rules before PDGA ratings started in 2002 which would bump a player up a division if they won the previous event or had three finishes in the top 3, etc. There were different bump rules depending on the club, but they all involved moving a player up. If a player is not PDGA current and does not have a rating, the TD may assign that player to whatever division they wish as long as they do it before the round is started and the player knows it.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-01-2021, 07:18 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 571 Times in 300 Posts

don't mean at all to hijack the thread, but here's a situation that happened:

Somebody at a local c-tier a couple years ago played 16 of the 18 holes from the wrong tees (2 holes have a shared tee). I thought the only possible thing was to ding them for playing 16 holes incorrectly... could they also have been moved up a division, which would've made the tees they played from correct? I'm guessing it wouldn't be retroactive like that but just curious.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 48 Posts

Makes me wonder how to handle the situation where a player signed up for the wrong division and had to move up after round 1, but round 1 was played on the wrong tees or even the wrong course for the higher division.

The only time I’ve seen someone forced to move up mid tournament was because they signed up for the right division at the time, but their rating improved more than two weeks before the tournament. In that case, the TD lacks discretion to allow them to stay in the lower division.

Niced: (1)