Old 05-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 29
Niced 91 Times in 58 Posts
Default Noticing wrong scores after the event

Saturday I played in my first tournament of the year. I thought I legitimately had a chance at winning this one based on the field, but instead I shot my worst rated round ever in the first round. So for the second round, I played totally relaxed because I knew I couldn't win any more and I ended up shooting the hot round for my division. That's where it gets interesting.

Because I knew I couldn't win, I didn't bother verifying scores with the live score keeper on my card (I know, my fault) at the end of the round. Come this morning and I'm checking the hole by hole scores and I noticed in my second round, on a par 4 hole, my score is a 5. I know for certain that I birdied that hole (3). This being a 2 stroke swing, and about 22 points in ratings.

I also noticed that the person keeping score had scored himself a 7 on a long, challenging par 5 hole that he actually took a 10 on.

Now the scores are already done, and I don't think it would have made a difference in either of our final placements for the event, but it ethically isn't right. Is there anything I can do at this point with the TD and/or PDGA? Or do I just chalk it up as a learning experience to always verify my scores?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2021, 09:19 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 562
Niced 1,166 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishballer06 View Post
Saturday I played in my first tournament of the year. I thought I legitimately had a chance at winning this one based on the field, but instead I shot my worst rated round ever in the first round. So for the second round, I played totally relaxed because I knew I couldn't win any more and I ended up shooting the hot round for my division. That's where it gets interesting.

Because I knew I couldn't win, I didn't bother verifying scores with the live score keeper on my card (I know, my fault) at the end of the round. Come this morning and I'm checking the hole by hole scores and I noticed in my second round, on a par 4 hole, my score is a 5. I know for certain that I birdied that hole (3). This being a 2 stroke swing, and about 22 points in ratings.

I also noticed that the person keeping score had scored himself a 7 on a long, challenging par 5 hole that he actually took a 10 on.

Now the scores are already done, and I don't think it would have made a difference in either of our final placements for the event, but it ethically isn't right. Is there anything I can do at this point with the TD and/or PDGA? Or do I just chalk it up as a learning experience to always verify my scores?
PDGA requires every card to use a backup scoring method. The backup scorecard should back you up.

Going forward, report this to the TD. Your cardmates or the backup scorecard for the round should be able to verify your statements. If the other players can't or won't verify the statements: live and learn. If they can verify the scores, or there is a backup scorecard to verify, then you and the TD will need to give the information to the PDGA Disciplinary committee.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 115 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:

There is no "fix" to your score. You would gain 2 strokes on the scorecard, but also get a 2 stroke penalty for submitting an incorrect score, so the net would be no change

Niced: (2)
Old 05-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 29
Niced 91 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
PDGA requires every card to use a backup scoring method. The backup scorecard should back you up.

Going forward, report this to the TD. Your cardmates or the backup scorecard for the round should be able to verify your statements. If the other players can't or won't verify the statements: live and learn. If they can verify the scores, or there is a backup scorecard to verify, then you and the TD will need to give the information to the PDGA Disciplinary committee.
Yeah, I agree. Live and learn. One person was keeping live scoring on PDGA, and the other person kept a paper score card. Thinking back on it, at the end of the round, the guy with the paper score card read off each person and the total score they took. The guy doing live scoring just agreed and said he had the same score after each score he read off. More than likely, he was lying by just agreeing with him.

Looking through the PDGA Rulebook, I found rule 808.G.2.

Quote:
G: After the scorecard has been turned in, the total score as recorded is final, except for the following circumstances:

2. If the total score is incorrect, improperly recorded, or missing, two penalty throws are added to the correct total score. Those penalty throws are not added when the score has been adjusted for other violations determined after the player had turned in an otherwise correct scorecard.
In this instance for me, if the score got corrected for myself, my score would improve by the two strokes, but then the 2 stroke penalty for an incorrect scorecard would bring me right back to where I am.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:56 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 562
Niced 1,166 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. Live and learn. One person was keeping live scoring on PDGA, and the other person kept a paper score card. Thinking back on it, at the end of the round, the guy with the paper score card read off each person and the total score they took. The guy doing live scoring just agreed and said he had the same score after each score he read off. More than likely, he was lying by just agreeing with him.

Looking through the PDGA Rulebook, I found rule 808.G.2.

In this instance for me, if the score got corrected for myself, my score would improve by the two strokes, but then the 2 stroke penalty for an incorrect scorecard would bring me right back to where I am.
The event results won't change for you, but if this guy was cheating, the PDGA needs to know. If you don't report this to the TD and the PDGA, then this player will be free to do this again. You owe it to every other player in your division and all the players in your region to report the activity. Especially if there is a paper scorecard out there with your correct scores......

Old 05-10-2021, 12:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 1,048 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discette View Post
The event results won't change for you, but if this guy was cheating, the PDGA needs to know. If you don't report this to the TD and the PDGA, then this player will be free to do this again. You owe it to every other player in your division and all the players in your region to report the activity. Especially if there is a paper scorecard out there with your correct scores......
certainly this is true, but I don't think the guy throwing a 10 on a hole (and apparently just generally sucks) is a big threat to the larger group of players.

Not saying he should be let off the hook...definitely report him or at least talk with the TD and compare paper to digital card.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,045 Times in 1,558 Posts

pretty sure the TD can update the final results until ratings are processed.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 127
Niced 7,110 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
pretty sure the TD can update the final results until ratings are processed.
I always assumed it was until all prizes are awarded, based on:

"Penalty throws may be added or removed up until the Director declares the tournament over, or all awards have been distributed."

Though I guess that's not entirely clear.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 72
Niced 537 Times in 269 Posts

We've had scores incorrectly transcribed from scorecards to leaderboard that have had to be corrected post awards (including adjusting awards)

Niced: (1)

Old 05-10-2021, 04:32 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 727
Niced 3,317 Times in 1,374 Posts

Looks like the Kentucky Derby might have to adjust payouts after the fact. I wonder how that works for wagers, i.e., are they still waiting to pay out $2 tickets?