Old 05-10-2021, 05:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 127
Niced 7,110 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Looks like the Kentucky Derby might have to adjust payouts after the fact. I wonder how that works for wagers, i.e., are they still waiting to pay out $2 tickets?
And were any of those now-paying tickets torn up and tossed in disgust?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2021, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,768 Times in 2,322 Posts

I don't think you will like my take. Lots of stuff seems to have been "loosely handled" and now someone wants to make an issue. There should have been an electronic scorekeeper and a backup. I generally encourage or volunteer to keep a paper score. After each hole, on the next tee pad, scores should be taken. I generally encourage and teach the scorekeeper to call out each name and record each score. Allows both keepers to record without asking twice. I try to play this off as an old man with a high curiosity and bad hearing....yuck, yuck. This really prevents pencil whipping. At the end, I am pushy about you checking your score. I know it is a pain, especially after not playing well, but "forever hold your peace" is usually part of the encouragement.

I am a believer that if you want to skirt the rules, don't whine later.

In short, there were a LOT of ways for you to have prevented the issue. That means you are culpable as well.

I would report the incident to the TD, if I had some proof...like a paper back up card.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:38 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 24 Times in 16 Posts

There’s a guy around here who I guess is notorious for fudging the numbers. Last couple tournaments he was in some people on discgolfscene made some comments to inform the td and whoever else was playing not to let him keep score. Probably doesn’t do much good for your current predicament but if you see him signed up in the future might be worth warning the field
Old 05-10-2021, 09:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,768 Times in 2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosley View Post
There’s a guy around here who I guess is notorious for fudging the numbers. Last couple tournaments he was in some people on discgolfscene made some comments to inform the td and whoever else was playing not to let him keep score. Probably doesn’t do much good for your current predicament but if you see him signed up in the future might be worth warning the field
I am not one for letting people choose to do the wrong thing, without voicing my opinion, but publicly outing someone is a pretty large leap. If you going to do that, you had better be VERY sure you are correct and be ready and able to prove it. I would still suggesting that reporting it to the TD, if you have proof.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 72
Niced 537 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Looks like the Kentucky Derby might have to adjust payouts after the fact. I wonder how that works for wagers, i.e., are they still waiting to pay out $2 tickets?
Wagers are not redone for the Derby or pretty much any other sporting match. Imagine wagers on a NCAA game where the NCAA strips the title away a couple years later due to a recruiting violation.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.4
Courses Played: 727
Niced 3,317 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Wagers are not redone for the Derby or pretty much any other sporting match. Imagine wagers on a NCAA game where the NCAA strips the title away a couple years later due to a recruiting violation.
I know they have to wait until a race's results are declared "official" in case there are any challenges that had to be resolved. But it's interesting that even big payout trifectas and exactas, etc. get paid. (probably in the small print on the ticket)
Old 05-11-2021, 12:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 54
Niced 6,687 Times in 3,416 Posts

Quote:
I know they have to wait until a race's results are declared "official" in case there are any challenges that had to be resolved. But it's interesting that even big payout trifectas and exactas, etc. get paid. (probably in the small print on the ticket)
I actually asked about this on another website because my brother would have won a trifecta if the horse had been DQ'd. Apparently, once the race results are posted official at the track, all betting payouts are fixed. But, the trainer, owner and jockey will have to fork over any prize money they received.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-11-2021, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 716 Times in 391 Posts

If UDisc is used, I know you can follow the scores on your device when someone else is keeping score. I'm not sure how that works with PDGA's scoring app.

For UDisc, it might be a hole behind, but you do see the scores entered and can let the keeper know if something is wrong.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,045 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
If UDisc is used, I know you can follow the scores on your device when someone else is keeping score. I'm not sure how that works with PDGA's scoring app.

For UDisc, it might be a hole behind, but you do see the scores entered and can let the keeper know if something is wrong.
If PDGA Live is being used anyone can watch the scores in (almost) real time.

Niced: (2)

Old 05-11-2021, 02:15 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 195 Times in 90 Posts

Kind of on topic - IMO, one of the worst rule changes was to stop requiring players to sign their cards.

I am speaking of paper scorecards - taking away that requirement relieves the the onus of each player being accountable that their score was correct....which in turn removed the one absolute a TD had when approached about incorrect scoring.

A players signature = no excuses, reasons, circumstances....nothing.
No signatures required, opens back up a never ending list of excuses, reasons and circumstances that can be argued/presented by the players.

Makes no sense.

Niced: (1)