Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 AM

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 55
Niced 24 Times in 10 Posts

I have wide feet and cannot wear the Terrex. Nike has traditionally been too narrow also, but maybe I should look into some of their new offerings. For those of you with more knowledge than myself, can you recommend a brand that offers some wide sizes? I can't seem to find anything good in this category of shoe (Trail Shoes) in a wide size. I am wearing a pair of Columbia shoes these days just because they are wider.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 787 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
Personally I was not please how quickly the Terrex shoes got torn up by concrete tees. I was lucky if they lasted me a year.
From asking around it seems that the general consensus among the golfers I run with is that Keens tend to hold up the best. They're too big for my puny feet for DG but if they fit well for you I'd definitely give them a shot. Like I mentioned above my Keen sandals have lasted a decade now.

Niced: (4)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,767 Times in 2,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
I have wide feet and cannot wear the Terrex. Nike has traditionally been too narrow also, but maybe I should look into some of their new offerings. For those of you with more knowledge than myself, can you recommend a brand that offers some wide sizes? I can't seem to find anything good in this category of shoe (Trail Shoes) in a wide size. I am wearing a pair of Columbia shoes these days just because they are wider.
I have a pair of the, McBeth endorsed, line of Adidas Terrex mids. Terrific shoes. I wore them as work shoes, in the dress casual world. Comfortable, great tread and waterproof. Sadly, for me, the toe box that is so narrow, it prevents me from using them as golf boots. Even if available in wider sizes the pointed toe crushes my piggies.

Keen boots have a wider toe box than most boots. They would be comparable to your Colombia, if not wider.

Forehand players will always (ok, nearly always) tear up disc golf footwear quicker than backhand predominant players. That forehand toe drag is real and destructive. I am backhand only (old and broken), I get a season or more out of a pair of top end Keen's. I play 3-5 rounds a week.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 49
Niced 1,161 Times in 691 Posts

I'm a Terrex guy because of the combo of fit, grip, durability, price, and consistency.

Fit - I have scrawny narrow heels. Adidas is one of the brands that fits my foot best.

Grip - I always have a couple pairs of Terrex in the closet. My fresh pair is for hiking and after about a season they become my worn pair for disc golf and general street wear. I am less particular about the grip for disc golf, but I love the Continental rubber for hiking.

Durability - I don't get as much life out of the Continental soles when compared to Merrel and Keen hikers, but I do get a full season and I put a lot of miles on them. Once they get relegated to disc golf and general use, I feel like the soles break down at roughly the same rate as the rest of the shoe. I can't say that about cheaper trail runners.

Price - I am always on the lookout for backup pairs since I go through a pair annually. Because of this I don't think I've ever paid anywhere close to retail. I will usually have some on my amazon wish list and then pull the trigger when they randomly drop in price, and once per year Costco carries them. Between those two routes I always seem to find them at a great price.

Consistency - as others have noted they have been the same shoe for a long time. I see that as a positive, because I can buy them online and know exactly what I am getting. No change in fit or function.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 221
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,772 Times in 911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Merrell trail runners have been great for me.

Random thought, I'm not a big guy...150 soaking wet tops. Do lighter people such as myself get more life out of the more fragile shoes? I'd assume so. Mr 220lb is stressing the product more regardless of how perfect their imaginary footwork is.
I'm on the other end of the spectrum as Mr. 225 lbs, and while I absolutely adore(d) Salomon Speedcross3s, they'd be smoothed on my rotation points in a couple months at best. The last pair of Terrex I bought have much harder soles (and a lot less traction on rougher terrain) but still are in good shape after several months worth of rounds. They aren't nearly as comfortable as the Salomons though either.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-11-2021, 10:12 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,478 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I'm on the other end of the spectrum as Mr. 225 lbs, and while I absolutely adore(d) Salomon Speedcross3s, they'd be smoothed on my rotation points in a couple months at best. The last pair of Terrex I bought have much harder soles (and a lot less traction on rougher terrain) but still are in good shape after several months worth of rounds. They aren't nearly as comfortable as the Salomons though either.
Have to agree with you here. As a fellow bigger man, Terrex's have held up probably the best of any disc golf shoes that I have tried. I also add more protection to my wear points on my shoes.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 122
Niced 970 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
New Balance carries wide sizes.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 105
Niced 440 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
I am in this camp as well. I absolutely HAVE to have a wide (EEE) shoe. I did look up the terrex mids and they do not offer this.

Does anyone have a good recommendation in a wide size (11.5 or 12)? I do not have a runup, more of a slow walking X-step, but most courses I play ARE concrete pads.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 68
Niced 120 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
... I also add more protection to my wear points on my shoes.
What type of protection? I've been using Tuff Toe most recently. It has been the most durable of anything I've tried over the years but it's not the cheapest option. I tend to scuff and wear through the right toe due to some trailing toe drag on RHFH shots off concrete tees.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-11-2021, 11:13 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,478 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolae View Post
What type of protection? I've been using Tuff Toe most recently. It has been the most durable of anything I've tried over the years but it's not the cheapest option. I tend to scuff and wear through the right toe due to some trailing toe drag on RHFH shots off concrete tees.
Yup Tuff Toe. Been using it for maybe a decade now on all my dg shoes and it helps extend the life of my shoes a lot.