Old 06-13-2021, 10:24 AM

Years Playing: 1.2
Niced 38 Times in 17 Posts
Default Grips

Does anyone use sort of a combination of a putter grip and regular throwing grip for standstill or one step approaches. I've been finding more accuracy for such shots using a putter grip that's not no fanned out but also without fingertips against the inside of the rim. So I'm wondering is this a method that I should change and learn to do it right? I'm guessing this grip conundrum is a holdover from my old Frisbee throwing days.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2021, 10:59 AM

I should have read further down the page.

This thread I think will help.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:05 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 440 Times in 199 Posts

Grips are personal and there are many variations people have been successful with. Sounds like you're using a fan grip and that is pretty common for lower power shots.

I power grip everything except for putts.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 716 Times in 391 Posts

We tend to learn our grips from whomever shows us how to throw a disc. I started gripping it like a regular Frisbee...then I found out about fan-grip, power-grip, two finger grip, etc....so many different options and combinations. Now I'm taking lessons and my instructor is teaching me his grip...

Niced: (1)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:40 PM

I think my hands are too big to comfortably use a power grip discs with a thin rim.

Been an interesting learning process. Every bit as engrossing as when I took up golf. Easier though to take up new things these days with the internet.

Thank you for the replies. I'll grip with what's comfortable as long as the results don't suffer. From what I've tried in this morning's practice the fan grip does lose distance compared to the power grip on longer throws.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 80 Times in 44 Posts

I was correcting myself on a Standstill during most of December and have been using a one-step since around Christmas using just three fingers and pinching my pointer and thumb, as Holly Finley was explaining on one of her videos she posted on her thread, I think it was back in December?
I would of thought by now I would of progressed back to a four step or at least a three by now. But, I'm still gaining distance and I'm more accurate. I plan on wearing out the one-step and enjoy it, before moving on to the two step. And I agree with the earlier post, grips are personnel with what fits you best.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 80 Times in 44 Posts

I tried to do an edit, but it didn't work.

I also have adopted Simon Lizotte placing his non-throwing palm of his hand on the back of his disc. It helps steady the disc, and whatever angle I want to get out of the disc for flight purposes.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee76007 View Post
I tried to do an edit, but it didn't work.

I also have adopted Simon Lizotte placing his non-throwing palm of his hand on the back of his disc. It helps steady the disc, and whatever angle I want to get out of the disc for flight purposes.
My instructor was telling me that I let my trailing hand/arm move out from my body and that I need to keep it closer. He gave me the suggestion of touching my disc with my trailing hand and I've found that helps me keep that hand/arm closer to my body through the pull.

When I reach back, my hand stays lightly on the disc, then as I pull the disc forward, my trailing hand lags a bit behind my disc almost as though it is being dragged behind.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-16-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
My instructor was telling me that I let my trailing hand/arm move out from my body and that I need to keep it closer. He gave me the suggestion of touching my disc with my trailing hand and I've found that helps me keep that hand/arm closer to my body through the pull.

When I reach back, my hand stays lightly on the disc, then as I pull the disc forward, my trailing hand lags a bit behind my disc almost as though it is being dragged behind.
I've been trying this with the trail hand and I like it. I think it could also help encourage a better torso turn.

On a side note, while watching Emerson Keith best Wysocki Nate Perkins mentioned Keith's lack of a reach back. Made me think I should try less reach back. With a little more bend in the elbow.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintry mix View Post
I've been trying this with the trail hand and I like it. I think it could also help encourage a better torso turn.

On a side note, while watching Emerson Keith best Wysocki Nate Perkins mentioned Keith's lack of a reach back. Made me think I should try less reach back. With a little more bend in the elbow.
yeah, my instructor says it's not a full reachback.....if you reachback too far you turn your outside shoulder too far back and end up rounding.