Old 06-16-2021, 11:32 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 52
Niced 235 Times in 150 Posts

The manual talks about majority rule on a card, which makes me think the player should let the group know what they see (looks like it’s touching grass here) and then step aside for the group to establish that majority. If a call still can’t be made in a timely fashion, benefit to the player and move on. Letting the player argue one way or another seems a tad emotional to me, like Nikko in this case who is unable or unwilling to move on from what he sees. Then you see bad blood or make up calls down the road or even just the card wanting to move on to avoid this emotional confrontation rather than making a proper call.

I think of the Ricky foot fault at the memorial a few years back. Nikko could not let it go and it affected himself and the card moving forward. Even though Ricky obviously foot faulted, he handled the situation better. He asked the other two on the card to establish a majority and neither seconded the call. Accept the situation and move on.

The Scott Stokley foot faults- even though popular opinion seems to be he was getting worked by the card, he made no fuss and accepted the calls and moved on. Would think you could appeal to an official if you were being treated unfairly by your card but not sure they could do anything after the fact.

I see the disc as in here.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2021, 01:34 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 47.2
Courses Played: 461
Niced 2,857 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
When we're on-site making those rulings, we generally say that if it takes you more than 2 or 3 seconds to make a decision, then it's not clearly out, so therefore it's in.
I got a free pass out of that practice one time. Thanks for the guilt.

While that's probably generally a good way to go, I don't think time itself is the sole determinant of whether it is "clearly". Perhaps it takes 15 seconds to look up how OB is defined ("Is across the path OB, or just the path?"), then the disc could be clearly OB.

Being merely "close" does not make it unclear either. At one Worlds, I was involved in a case where the disc was clearly 2 cm out of bounds. Just because you can't tell from 50 feet away doesn't mean you call it "not OB" even before the player arrives at the disc.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:44 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 47.2
Courses Played: 461
Niced 2,857 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
The manual talks about majority rule on a card, which makes me think the player should let the group know what they see (looks like it’s touching grass here) and then step aside for the group to establish that majority. If a call still can’t be made in a timely fashion, benefit to the player and move on. Letting the player argue one way or another seems a tad emotional to me, like Nikko in this case who is unable or unwilling to move on from what he sees. ...
The thrower is every bit as much a part of the process as the other players in the group. In every aspect of enforcement. The thrower should make a call on themself, or confirm, and yes, weigh in on group determinations.

If we allow any exceptions where a player can avoid any part of enforcement in a particular situation, that exception will be latched onto by the enforcement-reluctant and blown out of proportion until "everyone knows" that no one has to be involved in any enforcement.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 553 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
And until someone (PDGA? DGPT? TDs?) actually put their foot down with Nikko's antics, there's not going to be any incentive for Nikko to change.
Nikko is the only interesting thing in pro disc golf. You are rooting for Shooter McGavin.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 716 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Nikko is the only interesting thing in pro disc golf. You are rooting for Shooter McGavin.
Naw....I'm rooting for Simon!

Old 06-16-2021, 09:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 157
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 903 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
While that's probably generally a good way to go, I don't think time itself is the sole determinant of whether it is "clearly". Perhaps it takes 15 seconds to look up how OB is defined ("Is across the path OB, or just the path?"), then the disc could be clearly OB.
Of course, that goes without saying. (famous last words...)