Old 05-03-2021, 04:21 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 895 Times in 408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andhjo0131 View Post
You need to look at PLH and lower wing shape as well.
Yup, these have been consistent markers in my experience. Lower PLH and flat lower wing shape = understable. Higher PLH and concave lower wing shape = overstable.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 815 Times in 479 Posts

Infinite stocked some Halo Destroyers.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:50 PM
Par Member

Niced 72 Times in 47 Posts

Is this the right thread to ask a Destroyer question?
Old 06-15-2021, 07:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 35 Times in 23 Posts

Yessir. Ask away. Im ready to over-generalize.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:44 AM
Par Member

Ok. So. About the Destroyer.

Shoot. What was I going to ask. Oh come on, not now. I just made this overly dramatic 'can I haz a question'. Heckin A.

It will come to me. It felt like a good question. Arg. I'm going to stream of conscious a sec to see if it comes to me.

I bag three Destroyers. One of them is 155g or so Star RW edition, I use it for hyzer bombs and it does work. AM40 dudes in a recent tourney were like 'damn, yeah, that's a line I didn't think about'. Like Eagle McMahon but on the wrong side of 40 and not impressive at all.

Another Destroyer I love and bag is a slightly beat flat-top max weight Echo Star that goes yard but is kind of flippy, if I use it on a FH it will not cooperate. It's my max-distance meets max-reliability BH disc. Then I have a slightly beat 6-mo old max weight Halo (doesn't beat in that much tbh, love this plastic) that is stable AF. I throw it both BH in conditions and often FH.

They are all kind of wildly different in a certain way, even though they are the same. If that makes sense.

I can't figure out why the max-weight Halo isn't my max-distance BH driver. Maybe I need to throw it on anhyzer? Maybe it's Colorado? Maybe I need to radar my arm (I'm hitting 375-400' consistently now).

I guess I have high confidence in this mold, but I feel like there's a primer or something I'm missing. Just making it up as I go with some strong results but still a lot of ?'s.

Last edited by hawgdriver; 06-16-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:26 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 187
Niced 1,478 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgdriver View Post
Ok. So. About the Destroyer.

Shoot. What was I going to ask. Oh come on, not now. I just made this overly dramatic 'can I haz a question'. Heckin A.

It will come to me. It felt like a good question. Arg. I'm going to stream of conscious a sec to see if it comes to me.

I bag three Destroyers. One of them is 155g or so Star RW edition, I use it for hyzer bombs and it does work. AM40 dudes in a recent tourney were like 'damn, yeah, that's a line I didn't think about'. Like Eagle McMahon but on the wrong side of 40 and not impressive at all.

Another Destroyer I love and bag is a slightly beat flat-top max weight Echo Star that goes yard but is kind of flippy, if I use it on a FH it will not cooperate. It's my max-distance meets max-reliability BH disc. Then I have a slightly beat 6-mo old max weight Halo (doesn't beat in that much tbh, love this plastic) that is stable AF. I throw it both BH in conditions and often FH.

They are all kind of wildly different in a certain way, even though they are the same. If that makes sense.

I can't figure out why the max-weight Halo isn't my max-distance BH driver. Maybe I need to throw it on anhyzer? Maybe it's Colorado? Maybe I need to radar my arm (I'm hitting 375-400' consistently now).

I guess I have high confidence in this mold, but I feel like there's a primer or something I'm missing. Just making it up as I go with some strong results but still a lot of ?'s.
How come you feel like your halo should be your max distance driver.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,164 Times in 874 Posts

Heavier, beefier discs will never be your max distance drivers, especially if you throw 400' or less. I've thrown at least 30 different star Destroyers of all eras. Each one is definitely different. They can range anywhere from moderately flippy to supremely overstable.

To get max distance you need a driver that will turn at high speed. A max weight Halo Destroyer most likely isn't going to be that disc. Honestly, if you want to throw a Destroyer for max speed, try a G* in 170g or less. They're flippier and glider than normal stars, and noticeably longer.

Each different Destroyer must be respected for what it does and doesn't do. Trying to force a max weight star Destroyer to be your max distance disc will only lead to frustration.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
How come you feel like your halo should be your max distance driver.
Maybe for the same reason I feel like I should be throwing 500'?

On a max FH shot it flies great--very straight for a long time and then dumps. On a BH it has a more meat-hook path and goes 25-50' shorter. Sometimes I'll try to throw it on a slight flex and get most of max distance, but it's still less. But the reliability is there, so I think I should keep at it.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 14
Niced 85 Times in 50 Posts

Alright alright, y'all finally got me....I picked up some used Destroyers today and I'm going to give them a shot for a while.

Since I live in MI, I try to throw mostly Michigan brands. My bag is 90% MVP/Axiom/Streamline and a little bit Discraft/DGA. I love the MVP line up, but the one thing they're missing is a 12 speed driver. The 11 speed isn't quite far enough and 13 is a bit big in my hands....I've been trying to find the "Destroyer" disc for a while and just couldn't....every Hurricane I threw was way to OS (apparently I just got 5 freak ones....), Forces are too beefy for what I'm looking for, and I don't much care to pay $20 per Zues.

I hadn't thrown Destroyers in years, and since my distance has improved immensely since then, I thought to give them another shot. I picked up a 175g domey star and a 171g G* and they're perfect compliments. They ones I got fly right in line with the flight no., the star being more turn resistant and the g* bombing. I feel confident that I can find them almost anywhere in stores and in used bins, so I'll give them a real try this time. After one round though, I'm hooked for now.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,164 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
Alright alright, y'all finally got me....I picked up some used Destroyers today and I'm going to give them a shot for a while.

Since I live in MI, I try to throw mostly Michigan brands. My bag is 90% MVP/Axiom/Streamline and a little bit Discraft/DGA. I love the MVP line up, but the one thing they're missing is a 12 speed driver. The 11 speed isn't quite far enough and 13 is a bit big in my hands....I've been trying to find the "Destroyer" disc for a while and just couldn't....every Hurricane I threw was way to OS (apparently I just got 5 freak ones....), Forces are too beefy for what I'm looking for, and I don't much care to pay $20 per Zues.

I hadn't thrown Destroyers in years, and since my distance has improved immensely since then, I thought to give them another shot. I picked up a 175g domey star and a 171g G* and they're perfect compliments. They ones I got fly right in line with the flight no., the star being more turn resistant and the g* bombing. I feel confident that I can find them almost anywhere in stores and in used bins, so I'll give them a real try this time. After one round though, I'm hooked for now.
I agree with you about the Hurricane and Force. Both of those were more overstable and had less glide and distance for me than star Destroyers. I'm not really sold on the Zeus either. I've tried 4 of them, and they just don't glide that well. I EASILY throw star Destroyers further than ESP Zeuses.

The closest MVP disc to a Destroyer I've tried is the Octane. It's maybe 1 speed faster, but has a very similar flight. A little turn followed by a strong fade.