Old 07-23-2022, 12:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 257
Niced 7,295 Times in 4,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
1. You refer to the back side making a linear move into the plant. Are you consciously pushing off your back foot? I'm doing that in this video, but it seems more relaxed instead of an explosive movement. Should it be explosive? It feels like I'm pushing onto the inside of my brace foot

2. You mention using the off arm to rotate further into the backswing is counterproductive. Is it more that your upper body move back in response to the lateral move and less consciously thinking about rotating back? I definitely have been thinking about it as a rotation up to now. Any improvement in the practice from today?

3. You mention starting the lawnmower and how it relates to keeping the disc low in the backswing as opposed to higher. Won't this lead to air bouncing the disc as you move the disc vertically up as it moves horizontally through the swing? Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe the arm is only slightly less than horizontal and it doesn't matter much?

I didn't think about disc angle at all while doing this. So I'll need to cross that bridge sometime.
1. It's not explosive. It's leveraging the hips forward. The rear foot should get pulled/dragged off the ground by the hips striding forward.

2. Yeah, you are over-rotating. The backswing/the move/shift from behind should pull you into rotation like door frame drills.

3. No, air bouncing typically happens from high backswing and downward release. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=137985
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2022, 01:02 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Need to turn your front foot slightly open so your knee can brace your hip.
Is this just a drill specific foot placement? All the YouTube videos I watched when I first started always mention having your front foot a little closed off to the target. Is it wrong to have your front foot closed to the target?

Seeing a lefty screenshot was helpful. Some of the golf videos throw me off when I think about how it would be in reverse for a left-handed swing.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:09 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
1. It's not explosive. It's leveraging the hips forward. The rear foot should get pulled/dragged off the ground by the hips striding forward.

2. Yeah, you are over-rotating. The backswing/the move/shift from behind should pull you into rotation like door frame drills.

3. No, air bouncing typically happens from high backswing and downward release. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=137985
I opened up my front foot a little today. Also consciously thought about keeping my knee inside my feet while also keeping my leg straight (noticed that you were doing that in the latest screenshot). Link to practice: https://youtu.be/BAw-8TPuoJg

I'm not sure if this is any better, but I could kind of feel like my arm was being stretched when I move laterally to the target. Something I've never felt before. Correct or wrong?

I didn't think much about swing path or rotating, so I'm sure they're horrendous in this video. Definitely will revisit the door frame drill tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Correct on feeling arm stretch from lateral shift.

Your front foot still looks turned back. Turn it open like 45 degrees.

Ever shovel snow or dirt? You need your posture to "stay down","hips/butt back" like that while swinging/shoveling forward, instead of early extending your hips and spine up out of the swing. Swing your shoulders thru closer in height to your hips/knees.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:29 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Correct on feeling arm stretch from lateral shift.

Your front foot still looks turned back. Turn it open like 45 degrees.

Ever shovel snow or dirt? You need your posture to "stay down","hips/butt back" like that while swinging/shoveling forward, instead of early extending your hips and spine up out of the swing. Swing your shoulders thru closer in height to your hips/knees.
Never shoveled snow. Haven't shoveled dirt in a long time. Shoveling technique probably as garbage as my disc golf form.

Couple questions.

1. I don't think I understand the timing of "extending your hips and spine up out of the swing". What does extending your hips mean?

2. I messed around with different postures (or so I think) today. Nothing feels right. I really, really want to bend my knee to try and get into a lower position so that shoulders swing lower. I shouldn't bend my front knee, right?

3. I angled my front foot more to the target. Should I be doing this in normal throws, or is this just a drill specific foot placement/angle?

Here's the link to my practice today: https://youtu.be/18F4KahoHJk
Felt like I went backward. Super awkward.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:06 AM
* Ace Member *

1. Standing up out of posture during the throw, see Humping the Goat vid below.

2. Bend your front knee, but bend at the hip first.

3. Mostly drills. Should always be your starting position before backswing, then you can dynamically turn it back in backswing if foot gets pulled or lifted up off ground and replant from big enough backswing.

4. Can be weird practicing without shoes.

5. A little better in the backswing there but your torso leans too far over your toes, also same thing going forward, all your weight pressure is into your toes. Need to move your hips and center of gravity and weight pressure back deeper toward your heels/mid foot.

6. Forward swing - you need to bend your elbow so it leads ahead of the forearm/disc lagging behind it.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:12 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
1. Standing up out of posture during the throw, see Humping the Goat vid below.

2. Bend your front knee, but bend at the hip first.

3. Mostly drills. Should always be your starting position before backswing, then you can dynamically turn it back in backswing if foot gets pulled or lifted up off ground and replant from big enough backswing.

4. Can be weird practicing without shoes.

5. A little better in the backswing there but your torso leans too far over your toes, also same thing going forward, all your weight pressure is into your toes. Need to move your hips and center of gravity and weight pressure back deeper toward your heels/mid foot.

6. Forward swing - you need to bend your elbow so it leads ahead of the forearm/disc lagging behind it.
1. & 6. Short video but I can see how I have always made this mistake. I tried consciously staying lower through the entirety of the throw today. I haven't been focusing on my arm going through the swing as I have tried to limit my work to one specific thing. However, I thought about it in today's practice. Link to practice: https://youtu.be/IcJ8VcgQR2Y

I know, I know. I was going too fast in this practice. I take like 10 minute long videos and end up cutting out portions for YouTube. After five minutes of going slow, I end up speeding up near the end.

2. So I think I'm misinterpreting your message with this attachment, based on your answer here. When I saw this image, my mind immediately noticed how your front leg was straight and mine was bent. When you say bend at the hip, does that cause your butt to stick out some?

5. I was intentionally leaning over a lot more to try and try something different with my posture. I think I'm further back in my practice today. Better or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 11.47.59 AM.jpg (26.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-29-2022, 12:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Hmm, well I guess there's a tiny shift back there. Your hips are massively turning back and shifting forward while your front foot doesn't move at all, so you end up going over/past your foot. Your foot should move more with the hips. The foot/feet push the hips/pelvis and the pelvis pulls/drags the foot/feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m57s

Don't think so much about the knee being straight. It can be bent and still in dynamic alignment to your posture. You just turn ridiculous far back pulling your knee way out of alignment.

Your head should be behind your front foot at the hit unless you are doing one leg drill. I think reverse stride drill will help cause you will likely fall over and starting in wider stance should make it harder to over-rotate, and make you have to shift back more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m26s

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 12.17.49 AM.jpg (53.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 08-03-2022, 07:35 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Hmm, well I guess there's a tiny shift back there. Your hips are massively turning back and shifting forward while your front foot doesn't move at all, so you end up going over/past your foot. Your foot should move more with the hips. The foot/feet push the hips/pelvis and the pelvis pulls/drags the foot/feet.

Don't think so much about the knee being straight. It can be bent and still in dynamic alignment to your posture. You just turn ridiculous far back pulling your knee way out of alignment.

Your head should be behind your front foot at the hit unless you are doing one leg drill. I think reverse stride drill will help cause you will likely fall over and starting in wider stance should make it harder to over-rotate, and make you have to shift back more.
Dynamic alignment, what does that mean?

So I tried the reverse stride drill and noticed I wasn't ever actually getting onto my back foot when I did it. So I just kept doing the wrong that the drill is supposed to correct.

Also I haven't been thinking at all about my feet in any of my recent videos, nor my reachback. I will reachback less in the future. No idea I was going too far back.

I have recently started just getting into the max reachback position of the throw, as it's hard for me to think about that part right now because I've been so focused on everything else. From there I've been just trying to get the feeling of being on my front foot.

During this, I have been trying to adjust my weight and pressure in a way that I feel something on my front foot. Haven't figured anything out but I have felt weight and pressure in ways I've never felt before. Does it feel like there's so much weight on your heel that you could punch a hole in the floor (if that makes sense)? Also, I think I may have started feeling how the butt wipe drill feels in an actual throw.

Links to practice:
https://youtu.be/grMY0wv91fw
https://youtu.be/-ltxrkmIxqM

Does my starting position in the videos look right?

Also, what order does your body go in the throw?

Seems like when your front heel hits the ground, my hips want to go at the same time as my upper body. Am I supposed to let that happen or consciously try and keep my upper body back until the forward momentum is too much? This may be a stupid way to think about it...

Old 08-05-2022, 02:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Static is the opposite of dynamic. You stand still in static alignment, you walk/run in dynamic alignment.

Your backswing is static instead of dynamic. You need to keep momentum flowing back and forth, don't stop or pause. Pump forward before backswing.

Pay attention to my starting stance, almost just like standing naturally maybe 1-2" staggered closed, both feet slightly flared out. The first move is to pump the arm/disc forward, then the body responds and leads back and forth after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo#t=5m57s