Both 26 9.15%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2017, 10:04 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,182 Times in 1,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
The BT Hard Harps I have been throwing are NOT in the same category as my Z Zones. But they can fill the same role, with a few differences.

Zones are more OS and skippier, I am learning. Than baseline Harps anyway. Do think I could really see carrying both, but I am stubborn about limiting molds.
My Tournament Plastic Harp sounds a lot like your description of Zones. My TP Harp is very OS, curves well around trees, and skips more. My BT Hard Harps are not quite as OS, don't skip as much. And when they season in (and more quickly than the TP Harp will), they'll not be so OS but will still be a great wind-fighter.

I could see myself bagging both a TP Harp and a seasoned-in BT Hard Harp; ergo, I can see someone bagging both a Zone and a seasoned-in Harp...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,179 Times in 581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
My Tournament Plastic Harp sounds a lot like your description of Zones. My TP Harp is very OS, curves well around trees, and skips more. My BT Hard Harps are not quite as OS, don't skip as much. And when they season in (and more quickly than the TP Harp will), they'll not be so OS but will still be a great wind-fighter.

I could see myself bagging both a TP Harp and a seasoned-in BT Hard Harp; ergo, I can see someone bagging both a Zone and a seasoned-in Harp...
I can SEE people doing all kinds of unnecessary things and carrying more discs and molds than they need. Usually to the detriment of their games. Two Harps or two Zones makes way more sense.

I've carried two Zones a lot. But I really like baseline plastics for my putters and mids (except a Champ Rancho Roc at the top end). And I feel like you can make EITHER the Zone or the Harp cover the same types of shots.

Less is more. Get better at disc golf, not disc buying.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,182 Times in 1,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
I can SEE people doing all kinds of unnecessary things and carrying more discs and molds than they need. Usually to the detriment of their games. Two Harps or two Zones makes way more sense.

I've carried two Zones a lot. But I really like baseline plastics for my putters and mids (except a Champ Rancho Roc at the top end). And I feel like you can make EITHER the Zone or the Harp cover the same types of shots.

Less is more. Get better at disc golf, not disc buying.
I hear ya. But it comes down to the individual player's choice, and whatever works and is more fun for them...

Niced: (1)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,179 Times in 581 Posts

People are dumb. The average frolfer is dumber than the average person.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
I went with the Jokeri because it has better glide, but unfortunately, they are also a little harder to find in stores.
Another good choice, I like choices. In relation to the OP - Harp is a little deeper, with less LSS than Zone, but still a good tool for what it does and perhaps a better putter if it comes to that. Zone is the short range OS anything tool that set the bar but also itself is no longer the most OS for its speed.

FWIW, if I was economizing, I'd take the Zone, but since I don't have to worry about that, I like the A1 and Envy combo. A1 is beef. Thrown flat it will not only fade left, but turn down. On a good rip, it lands like a lawn dart more than a disc. To get it to skip, I need to flip it over so it lands flat while fading.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:12 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Love my Jawbreaker Zone, can make it do a ton of shots!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 533 Times in 340 Posts

I flicked a friend's super floppy soft harp, along with the star-equivalent the other day. I noticed that when comparing the harp to the zone physically, the things that jump out are the addition of a bead, the concave lower wing, and the slightly deeper and more narrow wing.

I was not a big fan of flicking the floppy harp, but I have to admit that it did do its job- hit and stick, like within a cm or two of where it landed. The star equivalent (tournament plastic?) I preferred.

I think the magic of the zone for me is almost 100% the shape - and it's so simple. Wide, shallow putter rim, probably 3 to 3.5 speed, perfectly straight lower wing, blunt shoulder, and unbeaded. Absolutely perfect for short FH shots.

Nothing wrong with the harp, but it just seems less special/specialized.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,595 Times in 1,648 Posts

I feel like the premium Harp is identical to Zones. It's just that so many people throw baseline Harps, and Z/ESP Zones that they are quite different (Harp straighter, less skip). If you compare Jawbreaker Zone with base Harps, or Z/ESP Zones to TP/VIP Harps then it's the same flight IME. Maybe slight variations, but we're talking speed 3 OS discs...not going to be that different!

So really it's mostly a feel/shape thing. I prefer the feel of the Zone slightly but I could substitute a Harp and not complain at all.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 533 Times in 340 Posts

Blast from the past - what do you guys think of a BT Harp vs a JB Zone?

Thinking of tossing a combo of premium plus baseline in the bag and allowing the baseline to season into a stable shooter - think either TP Harp + BT or ESP Zone + JB...

Are BT Harps a little longer than JB Zones when seasoned a bit and given some height to glide out? Or is the opposite the case?

Old 11-09-2018, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 593 Times in 433 Posts

I Have used both of these a lot back and forth over the years. Consensus: Zones are more HSS and LSS and are a little flatter and feel better for a Forehand (for me) - Premium Plastics are nice and readily available - ::: Harps have better baseline plastic options, they seem to be better for backhand throws because they have a touch more glide and not as hard of a fade so they can be thrown on straight lines with a solid fade without having to flex them.

Overall BOTH are good. Sometimes I will carry One of Each, sometimes just 1 - lately I've been using a Z Zone and I really like it because its just So OS that I can trust it - I am not great at Forehands so the only time I use it is an extreme situation