Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Which course is Harder in YOUR Opinion???
Wooded, Technical Line courses... 63 67.74%
Open, constant WIND courses... 30 32.26%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2018, 10:28 PM
Smelling the Shame

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 83 Times in 47 Posts
Default Harder Courses, Woods courses vs Open, Windy Courses....

I was thinking back to when I started throwing today. I lived in Oregon and Washington State, where 90% of the courses I played were wooded courses. You had to learn how to shape lines, rely on your discs, and Commit to your shots. I now live in the Valley of the Sun, just East of Phoenix, AZ. Mostly Open courses, with man made OB, but the wind adds such a variable, I have had a really hard time getting used to it. And by WIND, I mean CONSTANT 10-15mph with Gusts up to 25-30mph that make putting a nightmare. Which brings me to my Question... What courses are Harder, in YOUR opinion. Wooded, shot shaped courses, OR, open courses, with wind being a Constant factor? Interested to hear what folks have to say.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2018, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 44.5
Courses Played: 193
Niced 511 Times in 254 Posts

Wooded>Open Always

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,021 Times in 667 Posts

For me wooded is harder to a degree, what you are used to plays a huge factor, but I have an easier time throwing meathooks into the wind than shaping minuscule lines through trees. Though I’ve been playing and improving a lot at wooded courses in the last year.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 PM
Par Member

Niced 105 Times in 55 Posts

I voted wooded. Wind is a big factor in putting but it has potential to help you on the tee.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,423 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I voted wooded. Wind is a big factor in putting but it has potential to help you on the tee.
Good point. Trees rarely assist your throw.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 687 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrembo View Post
Wooded>Open Always
I agree. Wind I can deal with. Really nasty tight courses are much tougher. Takes a way different approach to play wooded courses than open ones, even in the wind.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:03 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 133
Niced 746 Times in 392 Posts

nah, wind is harder and overall less fun. Don't get me wrong there, wind IS fun... but course after course, year after year of that would be dragging.

So, wind is probably harder IMO. Wind is unpredictable, shifting this way and that... different 30 feet away from the teepad... so many challenges. Trees just really stay there and a fair fairway (as opposed to unfair super tight or candy cane shaped) isn't all that hard. Learn a few utility shots to deal with tree kicks out of the fairway... and you're good to go.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,207 Times in 1,092 Posts

Without regard for an individual player's game...

Shorter wooded courses are harder, particularly if the fairways are lined with thick, brushy, shrubs ( like several of our local courses), as shots that miss the fairway can cost strokes. Woods without brush, less so, as tree kicks off the fairway may still leave playable lines to save par.

Long open windy holes/courses are fairly forgiving. Even if tee shots get blown off line, you can usually make up extra distance on a longer than planned 2nd shot.

Long and windy with water in play is a game-changer though. Takes cajones to throw for distance when wind has a long time to work on your disc and there's plenty of water around.

That said, it really depends on your game. Relative to the field, I typically do better on tighter, technical courses. So I suppose you could say I find long, open, windy to be harder...even if I don't feel like they are.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 32
Niced 515 Times in 319 Posts

I voted wooded/technical courses as being harder overall. They force you to use lots of different molds in order to execute a wide range of lines.

That said, I have a harder time in more wide open courses where wind is a big factor. I live in NC & play a lot of wooded courses so it's what I'm used to. Plus, I'm not great throwing fast (speed 11+) OS discs & that's what you need to blast in wide open windy courses.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

If you can throw hard BH and FH then windy open courses aren't too bad...you're essentially playing the OS hyzer game and against other peoples' dumb decisions. If you can't throw hard hyzers and low line drives, then it's brutal...plus you lose distance no matter if it's headwind or tailwind when it's that windy.

Wooded courses are harder IMO, you're playing against your own precision and the course. Badly designed poke and hope holes though...not so much what I like.

Wind is fun sometimes for a change, but I don't want it to be windy all the time.

Niced: (1)