Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

I'm calling for blood tests and DNA sampling.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 985 Times in 428 Posts

This scenario isn't realistic. It's happened, but is typically caught for a myriad of reasons.

The more realistic scenario is someone who is a PDGA member goes to an event know one knows them at - out of state, town etc - and says they aren't a PDGA member and pays the $10 fee under an alias.

Why would someone pay a $10 fee when they are a member, you ask? Well, if that player is suspended or is rated let's say above 900 and wants to play rec.

I don't think it's worth IDing 100 people in the very small chance one person might be falling through the cracks, but it does support a model of only allowing PDGA members to compete in PDGA events.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,609 Times in 730 Posts

TDs have the power to require a non-member to enter Advanced or Open, especially when unknown.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Par Member

Niced 106 Times in 56 Posts

This happened in my region. Someone was caught purposefully playing as someone else. The PDGA suspended their membership for a year.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 485 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
This scenario isn't realistic. It's happened, but is typically caught for a myriad of reasons.

The more realistic scenario is someone who is a PDGA member goes to an event know one knows them at - out of state, town etc - and says they aren't a PDGA member and pays the $10 fee under an alias.

Why would someone pay a $10 fee when they are a member, you ask? Well, if that player is suspended or is rated let's say above 900 and wants to play rec.

I don't think it's worth IDing 100 people in the very small chance one person might be falling through the cracks, but it does support a model of only allowing PDGA members to compete in PDGA events.
I love the idea of the hypothetical rec guy driving cross country and paying an extra $10 bucks and impersonating a player just to get the win. Wait, no trophy for rec???

Last edited by Lazerface; 12-18-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: words
Old 12-18-2018, 06:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,694 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
I love the idea of the hypothetical rec guy driving cross country and paying an extra $10 bucks and impersonating a player just to get the win. Wait, no trophy for rec???
And we know this troll has no need for merch payouts.....he steals all the discs he needs. Crap, I fed the troll.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Wait a minute. So you’re saying someone would travel far enough away from their home to play an event under an assumed PDGA number to save ten bucks? Wouldn’t the extra gas money be more than the ten dollars they would save?
No that's not what I'm saying

There exist people, like myself, who travel a lot and sometimes play tournaments on the road. I don't want to play for plastic because I have no need for it and because I don't want to pack it around with me. I also have no interest in pdga membership. So I usually prefer playing in unsanctioned contests. However there is no "myriad of reasons" that I cannot play open in a pdga event. As a non-member, there's not even a reason to worry about getting caught.

The (probably correct) consensus here seems to be that this isn't a problem. I'm simply a mite surprised, considering the fact that this can and does happen and the pharisaic nitpicking over other non-issues that goes on here.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 41
Niced 59 Times in 35 Posts

Know a guy who did it to save the $10.

Think it is so rare, not worth the work to try to stop it.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Carolina Crusher's Magic Man

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 50 Times in 15 Posts

@MikeK
I think what he is refering to, is a simple non-cost solution. The pdga should not publically display full PDGA#'s online. Therefore they could stop this problem before it even starts. IMO, I don't think anyone will try this, but I have seen people do dumber things to save $10

Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWayneHester View Post
@MikeK
I think what he is refering to, is a simple non-cost solution. The pdga should not publically display full PDGA#'s online. Therefore they could stop this problem before it even starts. IMO, I don't think anyone will try this, but I have seen people do dumber things to save $10
Correct. The public display of player information is what makes this so simple. Otherwise, a person could still throw out a fake name and number, but without the comfort of knowing that they are apparently legitamate.