Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 97 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
If the Firebird wing is truly a Teebird wing that’s simply .050” wider(that’s what it sure seems like to me), then I nominate it for the best and most classic wing shape of all time. Teebird is undeniably a classic, and still relevant(if not still the best at its role). Wing looks to be identical on the Eagle, Banshee, and prototype FD2 from last year, as well as being basically copied in multiple competitor’s discs. The Rival and Explorer are lauded for being great fairways and are nearly exact copies. The Firebird wing is shared by the OLF, PD, Thunderbird, and FD3, and again replicated in other lineups. And after trying every Firebird copy/competitor I can think of, I’ve come to the conclusion that there is nothing on the market even as good as a Firebird, let alone better. And all of its offshoots are great discs in their own roles.

Roc is a no-brainer.

Destroyer is the Teebird of distance drivers. Every other company makes something intended to copy its flight that also happens to nearly copy the wing. Some companies offer several attempts. Nothing’s ever improved upon it.

I prefer my Aviars with a bead. Are all the other Wizard/Challenger/whatevers out there not a semi-copy of the big bead Aviar?

I’ve tried out a LOT of discs in the 5 years I’ve been playing. I’m coming to the conclusion that Innova pretty much figured everything out years ago, there’s not much left to do, and the same basic wheels keep getting reinvented.
I think the Teebird is an Eagle without a spacer. So, does that mean every good driver is based off the Eagle?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
How far back are we going? The zone and FD have been out almost 10 years already.

For newer discs, I'd say the undertaker is one of the best discs to come out somewhat recently and is already an 'instant classic'.
Yeah, I mentioned those because I feel at this point enough time has passed to say the Zone is an all time classic. Not sure about the FD, but I would argue it probably is.

There is really no limit on how far back you go, it is more about getting the discussion going. I think posting what you think is already settled and then saying a new disc you think will be considered classic in a few years is probably the best way to keep the discussion going.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Lots of MPO guys are throwing it. I'd be surprised if it's not their most popular distance driver. The Havoc is the only Lat. 64 driver I've seen a pro throw instead in that class, now that Feldberg is gone (Gladiator).
I like the Ballista Pro a hell of a lot more than I like the Havoc. In fact, I'd rate the Havoc as one of L64's WORST molds. Just useless, flippy junk. I'd rather throw Halo, and I don't love that one either.

The Ballista Pro has great appeal because it can be thrown very hard without flipping. Its a ridiculously fast driver that is still very controllable and long.

Also, I thought the Gladiator was WAAAAYYY more overstable than the Ballista Pro. The Gladiator reminded me of a Stiletto. Very short, glideless, and super overstable.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
I think the Teebird is an Eagle without a spacer. So, does that mean every good driver is based off the Eagle?
You’re right- the Eagle was approved by the PDGA almost two months before the Teebird. I honestly had no idea. Eagle’s the all-time greatest fairway driver.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,113 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Yeah, I mentioned those because I feel at this point enough time has passed to say the Zone is an all time classic. Not sure about the FD, but I would argue it probably is.

There is really no limit on how far back you go, it is more about getting the discussion going. I think posting what you think is already settled and then saying a new disc you think will be considered classic in a few years is probably the best way to keep the discussion going.
Got it. I'll throw in what I think are the classics

Innova:
Aviar
Cobra
Stingray
Viper
Gator
Roc
Teebird
Eagle
Firebird
Wraith
Destroyer
Boss
Tern

Discraft:
Magnet
Challenger
Zone
Wasp
Drone
Buzzz
Comet
XL
Predator
Surge
Force
Nuke

Millenium:
Omega/SS
QMS
Sentinel
Polaris LS
JLS
OLF

Most other companies haven't been around what I'd consider to be long enough to really establish classic discs.

Future or present classics:

Innova:
Thunderbird
Aviarx3
Roc3

Discraft:
Undertaker
Crank
Roach

Discmania:
P2
PD
FD
FD3

Legacy:
Clutch
Ghost
Patriot
Outlaw

Trilogy:
Judge
Warden
Dagger
Shield
Truth/EMac
Justice
Enforcer
Felon
Defender
Ballista Pro
Sinus
Harp
Old 05-15-2019, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 107
Niced 354 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albatross View Post
Everybody naming 15 year old molds. Too easy.

I’m wondering what disc will be crowned King of the 9 speeds. PD? Thunderbird? Avenger? That seems to be the new modern classic fairway slot.
OLF!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 287 Times in 179 Posts

Some of my favs that have some popularity:

-Envy (probably the best throwing putter of all time, although I don’t usually bag one)
-Trespass (it’s what all the people throwing destroyers that can’t actually throw destroyers should be throwing)
-Truth (I guess it’s the EMac Truth now, but I fell in love with the OG mold when DD made Eric his “buzzz.” I think it is more comfortable than the buzzz, though their uses may be interchangeable)
-Undertaker (such a winning, versatile fairway driver)
-Judge (I’ll say it, but putting putters are hard to make any HOF, since most are just some sort of Aviar clone... it’s more comfy, IMO, though.)
-PD (I used to bag them. Don’t anymore but it’s a great mold. PD>Thunderbird, IMO).
-Felon (only now with the addition of the beefy lucid-x. Now you can span FB to OS Eagle-ish flight with one mold. So comfortable FH.)

Great upcoming potential (I throw neither, but am witnessing their popularity spike from the get go):
-Kong
-Raider
Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 58
Niced 108 Times in 54 Posts

My personal HOF discs:

Legend Patriots
Zones
Verdict
Teebird3
Tern or Shryke
Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
Comet and Eagle are only DGCR popularity phenomen.
Tell that to Heimburg, Barsby, Big Jerm, MJ, and Andrew Fish. Heimburg and Barsby alone have enough star power to give the Eagle the recognition it deserves.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Tell that to Heimburg, Barsby, Big Jerm, MJ, and Andrew Fish. Heimburg and Barsby alone have enough star power to give the Eagle the recognition it deserves.
The Eagle is a good (and classic) mold, but I feel like it gets completely overshadowed by the Teebird. Frankly, I don't really know what the difference is between an Eagle and Teebird. I know Innova started marketing the Eagle in the L mold. The Eagle is best in the X mold.