Old 09-11-2019, 05:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 759 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
Thanks for the great advice. I should have made the clarification of distance. I understand practice, practice practice but as SD said Im looking for something that will suit my style differently than what I have. I will most likely still use my kc pros to 25-30ft but beyond is where Im looking for suggestions....
Use a midrange with a putter shape. I do that for long putts, also is the current place of a driving putter and since the mold is slightly OS it works as a windy day putter in a pinch. The speed will help get the disc mold to the basket easier yet the lower glide number then a putter will work to have disc sit. I am using my slight OS putter shaped midrange at 35-60 feet but at 35-50 I am putting and at 50-55 feet to about 65-70 feet I am approaching with the mold. Past 70 feet I am often then using my true midrange. In my opinion this midrange like disc could also be a mold that Approaching is done with as well or you use an approach putter to do the longer putts provided the mold is not Mega OS.

Another option is a Rubber putter, My dad has that in the modern baseline plastic for his neutral approach disc as for OS needs when approaching he uses a Hydra (also his water disc) though his is the old R-DX 170 gram model.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Most putters will be straight enough inside the circle if you give them enough, but if you are a habitual putt fluffier or weak putter, lots will stall and hyzer out.

By putt harder I mean put it through the pole, not in the basket. A good putt, to me anyway, should have enough on it to travel beyond the basket on a miss, not just fall behind it. Give your putts some want, and if you miss then just walk up and stick the comeback. Putt with power, putt with confidence. Do that and pretty much any disc will work, even out to 40-50

Niced: (3)
Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,411 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Most putters will be straight enough inside the circle if you give them enough, but if you are a habitual putt fluffier or weak putter, lots will stall and hyzer out.

By putt harder I mean put it through the pole, not in the basket. A good putt, to me anyway, should have enough on it to travel beyond the basket on a miss, not just fall behind it. Give your putts some want, and if you miss then just walk up and stick the comeback. Putt with power, putt with confidence. Do that and pretty much any disc will work, even out to 40-50

Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I still remember when that player said that near the end of his time he was able to play at a high level.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Agrees.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 70 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
To be fair, a Dart is pretty unique compared to most putters. Both in hand feel, and how floaty and undestable they can be. I agree that I would have less confidence of myself on release, and less confidence in hand feel in putting with something like the Dart all the time.

If your benchmark is an Aviar instead, then most other putters are small variations on that. So I have no doubt that moving to Aviars/Wardens was a big change and likely very positive. And any change after being used to those, is likely just fine tuning what you prefer.

Of course then there's also the class of shallower putters that are on the opposite side of the Aviar from the Dart, that tend to do better for more aggressive spin putters.
I'm sure the Dart isn't bad. I think what improved my putting the most wasn't the discs themselves, but buying 3 of a similar mold which made practicing more fun and effective. And like you said, the Maiden isn't THAT different, just a fine tweak. If I went back to the Dart, would I have just as much success at putting? Maybe... But why mess with it? why not trade it in for another Maiden

Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
I'm sure the Dart isn't bad. I think what improved my putting the most wasn't the discs themselves, but buying 3 of a similar mold which made practicing more fun and effective. And like you said, the Maiden isn't THAT different, just a fine tweak. If I went back to the Dart, would I have just as much success at putting? Maybe... But why mess with it? why not trade it in for another Maiden
Yeah I just want to be clear too that I'm not saying the Dart is a bad disc but that it's very noticeably different from Aviar style traditional putter shapes. It's very domey so it feels different than most putters, and it is very glidey so it responds a bit different to pop vs. spin. If you're a push/spush putter, these characteristics can give it odd releases especially height wise and make it a bit floaty for the amount of spin that's on it. For a spin putter, it can result in effortlessly long ranges.

For example, switching between Judges and Wizards would be mostly a mental change. Going between a Judge and Dart would take a lot of getting used to the hand feel and lob/float amount.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 292 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Why not try a light weight KC Pro Aviar for your long putts, something in the 150-160 gram range.
Agree with this suggestion, even going down a few grams can add quite a bit of glide.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
Agree with this suggestion, even going down a few grams can add quite a bit of glide.
Yes as can using a diffrent plastic for the mold, like Big Bead Aviar? try the DX. Also try a Omega Big Bead almost same mold from an Innova side brand in a baseline plastic or some other plastic that glides more then KC Pro.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:

By putt harder I mean put it through the pole, not in the basket. A good putt, to me anyway, should have enough on it to travel beyond the basket on a miss, not just fall behind it. Give your putts some want, and if you miss then just walk up and stick the comeback. Putt with power, putt with confidence. Do that and pretty much any disc will work, even out to 40-50’
Unfortunately past 35-37 feet I use a different disc for the slot of a Putt, a slight OS putter shaped slower midrange, Wanted a midrange/putter hybrid disc in a plastic that Innova no longer makes the mold in the plastic I wanted so I got a different disc with the same numbers that I had a lightweight DX years ago as a short midrange disc. I do not have confidence past 37 feet with my putter but that is due to it being a slight US neutral disc.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-13-2019 at 01:08 AM.