Old 09-29-2019, 06:21 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 144 Times in 79 Posts
Default Bamboo fence triple Mando at Winthrop gold

Hole #7 I think, interestingly hypothetical someone came up with in a YouTube comment.

You 'make' the mando but your disc cut rolls and comes to rest leaning up against the bamboo fence on the basket side of the mando. You can't take a legal stance behind your marker. What do you do?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2019, 08:11 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,630 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
Hole #7 I think, interestingly hypothetical someone came up with in a YouTube comment. You 'make' the mando but your disc cut rolls and comes to rest leaning up against the bamboo fence on the basket side of the mando. You can't take a legal stance behind your marker. What do you do?
There's a chance this is covered in the Caddy book. However, the player can take a stance behind the bamboo with solid object relief and reach through the bamboo or loft one over the bamboo since you already made the mando.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,756 Times in 1,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
There's a chance this is covered in the Caddy book. However, the player can take a stance behind the bamboo with solid object relief and reach through the bamboo or loft one over the bamboo since you already made the mando.
It IS covered in the caddy book...

"If after passing the mandatory correctly the disc establishes a position such that the bamboo wall prevents the player from taking a legal stance behind the marker, the player may relocate the lie up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the mandatory line even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target."
Old 09-29-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
It IS covered in the caddy book...

"If after passing the mandatory correctly the disc establishes a position such that the bamboo wall prevents the player from taking a legal stance behind the marker, the player may relocate the lie up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the mandatory line even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target."
I believe that's one of the design elements used by the USDGC that requires a waiver each year. Although TDs can provide free relief on the LOP or to a DZ, I don't think they can provide dynamic DZ relief contingent on a disc's location up against a surface or fence (not OB on the other side) without getting a waiver.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 281 Times in 150 Posts

You can do it without a waiver. All you have to do is declare the the edge of the bamboo wall itself is OB and you can give 1m relief away from it.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:31 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
You can do it without a waiver. All you have to do is declare the the edge of the bamboo wall itself is OB and you can give 1m relief away from it.
Isn't OB an area, not a one dimensional line? Or are you talking about defining a very thin strip of OB?

Old 09-29-2019, 11:34 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
It IS covered in the caddy book
Thank you. 5 mins after posting I chanced upon the caddy book, not even looking for this answer.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:42 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
... However, the player can take a stance behind the bamboo with solid object relief and reach through the bamboo or loft one over the bamboo since you already made the mando.
I thought the rules only defined what it is to miss a mando. That there is no definition of having 'made' a mando. So inherently you can always miss a mando (for example by throwing back on your self) until you complete the hole.

In this scenario (before being aware of the caddy book special rule) I assumed that if you took obstacle relief and relocated your lie to the tee side of the fence, that you would be obliged to throw the mando correctly again. Hence me posting.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post
I thought the rules only defined what it is to miss a mando. That there is no definition of having 'made' a mando. So inherently you can always miss a mando (for example by throwing back on your self) until you complete the hole.
In this scenario (before being aware of the caddy book special rule) I assumed that if you took obstacle relief and relocated your lie to the tee side of the fence, that you would be obliged to throw the mando correctly again. Hence me posting.
Once you have made it past the good side of the mando, your disc can cross back over the missed line or you can take a stance on the good side of that line.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Yes, that's a possible option. But it's a little dicey for players to understand since it isn't a solid surface or object. If you defined the envelope of the bamboo fence as OB, you then have to allow 1 meter relief from the outside of the fence which also adds just a bit more complexity at the opening on marking your lie.