Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 490 Times in 189 Posts

Oh and that round that Paul shot yesterday? STILL WAAAAAAAY BETTER than what i could do.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,272 Times in 306 Posts

It's all my fault folks. I have a big C-tier this Saturday so I paid a witch to swap our arms for a week. Sorry about that.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 142
Niced 225 Times in 99 Posts

I followed lead card at the CCR Open this summer (in the Jomez footage I'm the bearded guy with the white shirt and yellow hat) where it was also stupidly hot and humid and McBeth was off his game somewhat. I wonder if the heat and humidity affects him more than it does others?

I'll never ever forget when he missed a 20-footer badly, like hitting the pole a few inches off the ground, and when the players started moving on to the next tee, Brian Earhart turned to us in the gallery and made a face as if to say, "Yikes!" He then went on to say in the commentary how that putt made his jaw drop.

I mean...McBeth still deuced a 650' hole that I later played from the short tee and took a five...
Old 10-06-2019, 11:33 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I followed lead card at the CCR Open this summer (in the Jomez footage I'm the bearded guy with the white shirt and yellow hat) where it was also stupidly hot and humid and McBeth was off his game somewhat. I wonder if the heat and humidity affects him more than it does others?
The heat doesn't explain his fourth round, although the course average was almost six over par that day. And if his middle 2 rounds were as bad as his first and last round I would make an argument that he has a case of the yips.

Here's one definition of the yips: "The yips is the loss of fine motor skills in athletes. The condition occurs suddenly and without apparent explanation, usually in mature athletes with years of experience. It is poorly understood and has no known treatment or therapy." Look up Rick Ankiel and Chuck Knoblauch for baseball players that got the yips.

It will be very interesting to see how his next few rounds are. I'm still blown away by how far off his performance was for the whole tournament. Playing at such an insanely high level as he does requires significant confidence so I'm very curious to see how this affects him. One bad round here and there is normal. Four in a row (compared to how he has performed historically) is another story for him and should lead to a lot of eyes on him for his next round (even more than normal).

Niced: (1)
Old 10-07-2019, 03:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,289 Times in 2,272 Posts

He'll probably win HOF by 15 strokes, lol...
Old 10-07-2019, 06:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,355 Times in 791 Posts

I Think Paul have one thing in mind. . to win.

when he realized he could no longer win he just played throw. . what would be his motivation to fight back to a top 20 spot?

Niced: (2)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 226 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I Think Paul have one thing in mind. . to win.

when he realized he could no longer win he just played throw. . what would be his motivation to fight back to a top 20 spot?
Someone on r/discgolf that was there said that he was basically pulling a Simon that final round and was letting the crowd egg him into big throws but that he was smiling and having a good time.

I wonder if Paul is just over the season. Hannah tweeted out a quote from Paul that said "You know what would be nice right now? Is if the season was over"
Old 10-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 2
Niced 420 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perklc View Post
Someone on r/discgolf that was there said that he was basically pulling a Simon that final round and was letting the crowd egg him into big throws but that he was smiling and having a good time.

I wonder if Paul is just over the season. Hannah tweeted out a quote from Paul that said "You know what would be nice right now? Is if the season was over"
I figured that was what happened the final round. The first 2 or 3 rounds could've been heat, with the last obviously being a go big or go home type of round. Odd for the heat to affect someone from Cali, but I guess it could happen.

I shot an absolutely horrible tournament earlier this year that was held on a windless and cloudless 95 degree day at Fox Run and Brewster Ridge. It was absolutely horrible. I was +28 for the tournament.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,112 Times in 636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackaholic View Post
Here's one definition of the yips: "The yips is the loss of fine motor skills in athletes. The condition occurs suddenly and without apparent explanation, usually in mature athletes with years of experience. It is poorly understood and has no known treatment or therapy." Look up Rick Ankiel and Chuck Knoblauch for baseball players that got the yips.
So many things can affect fine motor skills. Blood electrolyte levels, inter cellular sodium/calcium levels, neulogical inflammation, psychological stress.... and so on. I think that is why they are so hard to diagnose; there are probably several different issues affecting a player all at once.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:16 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
So many things can affect fine motor skills. Blood electrolyte levels, inter cellular sodium/calcium levels, neulogical inflammation, psychological stress.... and so on. I think that is why they are so hard to diagnose; there are probably several different issues affecting a player all at once.
Oh, absolutely. I think my point though, better summed up now, was that I was surprised that we didn't get at least one typical McBeth round over four rounds of disc golf. Statistically that seems exceptionally rare for him especially on a course that he's played so well on in the past despite the changes to the course here and there. I couldn't' understand it is all. It didn't make sense. I admit to being a McBeth fanboy so I can't wait to see him play the dominant rounds we've been seeing for the last few years.