Old 10-16-2019, 01:21 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,475 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Not an Aviar guy so be gentle, but didn't the P&As have a micro bead at some point?
Yes.

Aviar short history was that it started as a beadless disc in the early '80's.

Late in the 80's they added a large bead to one wing and and a small (or micro) bead to another wing and they had what essentially was the Aviar Driver (although it wasn't called that) big bead and the Aviar putt and approach small bead. In the 90's generally the big bead had the grid stamp and was in regular DX and the small bead had the putt and approach (or chains) stamp and was run in a softer "putter" plastic. I say generally because I have grid stamped small beads and putter plastic big beads; it was Innova after all.

Sometime around '00 or '01 the big bead was converted to the Aviar X mold, which blunted up the nose and beefed up the wing. The small bead mold was used until mid or late '00's when the wing was recreated as a beadless mold. So now if you have a 1990's Aviar, that same disc is not for sale as an Aviar.

Both the small bead and big bead Aviar molds from the 90's ARE for sale in the Omega line by Millennium. I've been throwing an Omega AP Big Bead and it's 100% the same mold as a 90's big bead Aviar. The plastic is off, but the mold is the same. The regular Omega is the small bead Aviar mold.

Having said that, at my skill level a KC Pro Aviar X mold and an Omega AP Big Bead do the same thing. The KC Pro Aviar is a tick more overstable but not so much that you can't compensate for it. I can switch back and forth with really no issue. Same with the putt and approach versions; a new Aviar will be beadless but it flies pretty damn close to the small bead. So you can learn all these nuances about when this mold was used and what it is sold as now, or you could just buy an Aviar and throw it. We really overthink this stuff sometimes.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 559 Times in 297 Posts

Do these bar stamp P&As have a microbead? Or are they the same as the current P&A mold?

Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
Yeah, the chains stamps and hands stamps (as well as tourney stamps from that era) I think were micro bead before that mold went over to Millenium for the Omega.
Just to clarify:

You could get tourney stamps in either the big bead or small bead in the 90's. I ordered both.

The small bead mold was used for the Millennium Omega starting around 1995. The Aviar Putt and Approach used the small bead mold until the mid or late '00. The small bead mold became exclusive to Millennium when the Aviar was converted to beadless, but for at least a decade they were the exact same mold. The difference was that the plastics were different; the Aviar Putt and Approach was a $7 DX disc and the Omega versions were $10 Pro plastics.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:28 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Do these bar stamp P&As have a microbead? Or are they the same as the current P&A mold?

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure all the bar stamps were small bead.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 559 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Cool, so I am not crazy
Old 10-16-2019, 01:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Cool, so I am not crazy
I mean I wouldn't go THAT far...

Old 10-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Niced 816 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
The three that I have are small bead. Maybe it's coincidental, maybe it's not.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
The three that I have are small bead. Maybe it's coincidental, maybe it's not.
I really remember the transition back to beadless being a late '00's thing, but I never owned a barstamped Aviar and wasn't throwing Aviars when the switch happened. I was throwing 9X KC's when the barstamped Aviars were out and didn't really need one. By the time the switch to beadless happened I was throwing Wizards. I bought my 9X's in '99 and didn't buy another Aviar until Yeti's came out.

I just have to go off memory that the switch happened long after the barstamp went out of use; buyer beware.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:58 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,411 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
I've been throwing an Omega AP Big Bead and it's 100% the same mold as a 90's big bead Aviar. The plastic is off, but the mold is the same.
I bought a handful of the first runs when they were released, and that driver pro is a great blend. It's a little soft, but the APBB's might be the best kept secret in driving putters. Just outstanding throwers.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
I bought a handful of the first runs when they were released, and that driver pro is a great blend. It's a little soft, but the APBB's might be the best kept secret in driving putters. Just outstanding throwers.
Mine are 2.2's and they had THE WORST flashing I've ever encountered. You couldn't even hold them, there was a huge amount of really sharp flashing on them. I would have walked if I had found them in a store; I bought them online on a closeout sale so I was stuck. They sat around for a long time before I sanded them down and threw them, but I've been really happy with them since I did. They are really nice driving putters, they throw just like the 9X did. The plastic actually doesn't bother me much for putting either, although I have an old big bead grid stamp I usually putt with when I'm throwing the AP's.