Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 96 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADamon View Post
Don't buy one. It'll end up in the play it again sports used disc bin
Maybe!

I will point out that the reason i originally picked up my blizz-champs was that i was looking around for anything lighter than average because i was having trouble with heavier discs at first. If that applies to you then it may help. Although, no one advised me as such, and Ive never actually run into anyone else who liked or even had any blizz champs. Then again, this forum is about as social as i get. the downs of such discs have been explained to me many times and in time they've proven rather accurate. However, i still like and use my blizz champs but again, they seem only helpful in the proper conditions.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Blizzard plastic is junk, and IMO it doesn't do anyone any good in terms of developing proper throwing technique. The stability varies HUGELY from disc to disc. No two blizzard discs seem to fly the same. The plastic also has a rough texture to it and seems to break down quickly after a few throws and becomes even less stable than it already was.

With the blizzard boss specifically, I've never found one that was even throwable. Put any arm on it and at all, even with a hyzer, and it still flips over violently and eats ground.

There are good understable drivers out there, but you're better off finding something in heavier weight and better plastic.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Blizzard plastic is junk, and IMO it doesn't do anyone any good in terms of developing proper throwing technique. The stability varies HUGELY from disc to disc. No two blizzard discs seem to fly the same. The plastic also has a rough texture to it and seems to break down quickly after a few throws and becomes even less stable than it already was.
Ya, dont pick up blizzard or starlite if its got a rough surface. Its going to break down faster than DX into flippy nonsense.

Occasionally you'll find runs of blizz or starlite with deep rim bubbles instead of the surface bubbles that cause a rough texture, or early and special runs with bubbles in the flight plate. These can usually be counted on for better reliability and durability.

Other mfgs have Air plastic that disperses the bubbles across the plate and rim, and are a bit more consistent if you really need light weight discs.

Personally I dont mess with Air plastics anymore, but I do really like to find the occasional misprint run that has abnormally light weights. I have 160g Saints and Worlds that are beefy for the mold, but light enough that I get them moving fast and going far, and they are some of my most coveted discs.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:41 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Blizz bosses

I don't know if anyone agrees with this but I have 3 blizzard bosses I've purchased in the last year from a 138 to 153 g and they're all stable over stable in fact the The latest one was Unusable until I broke it in they were equal were more stable than my four time Macbeth destroyers which I can throw accurately to 400 feet. I also carry an r pro boss as an understandable distance driver that if thrown on a heizer flip is an absolute monster. This is all on a right hand backhand throw the blizzard bosses definitely do not hold up to 4 hands if not thrown on a heizer Is it makes a difference I tend to throw on a heizer without torque and like to throw putters for distance so for someone else they might flip more easily.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogden View Post
I don't know if anyone agrees with this but I have 3 blizzard bosses I've purchased in the last year from a 138 to 153 g and they're all stable over stable in fact the The latest one was Unusable until I broke it in they were equal were more stable than my four time Macbeth destroyers which I can throw accurately to 400 feet. I also carry an r pro boss as an understandable distance driver that if thrown on a heizer flip is an absolute monster. This is all on a right hand backhand throw the blizzard bosses definitely do not hold up to 4 hands if not thrown on a heizer Is it makes a difference I tend to throw on a heizer without torque and like to throw putters for distance so for someone else they might flip more easily.
Nice necro bump, there.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Blizzard discs are all over the place on stability, and it isn't just Bosses. I've definitely thrown some really beefy ones. I've also thrown some that were uselessly flippy.

A good blizz Boss is definitely capable of huge yardage. Close to 500' for me. They don't have a ton of use on the course, but are fun to bomb with in the field. I'd put blizz Katanas in the same boat.

Point is though, you have zero clue what you're getting when you pick up a blizzard disc. They all fly differently, sometimes dramatically so.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2019, 12:37 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 758 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Blizzard discs are all over the place on stability, and it isn't just Bosses. I've definitely thrown some really beefy ones. I've also thrown some that were uselessly flippy.

A good blizz Boss is definitely capable of huge yardage. Close to 500' for me. They don't have a ton of use on the course, but are fun to bomb with in the field. I'd put blizz Katanas in the same boat.

Point is though, you have zero clue what you're getting when you pick up a blizzard disc. They all fly differently, sometimes dramatically so.
Unfortunately some runs of Champion have the old Blizzard style with bubbles deep in the rim on them and make the mold vary so much from one disc to the next they are not worth getting either. However they are rare and not common and only come out every so often, so one can get the Champion without worry online as this seems to have affected like 2% of the Champion discs.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 34 Times in 22 Posts

I've got an old Starlight Boss 150g w/bubbles in the flight plate that's my go-to thumber disc. However, I'd never count on it for any sort of normal throw. It does have rough edges/flight plate, but surpassingly it's held up well to plenty of Overhand shots straight into the rocky/boulders of my home course.