Old 08-02-2018, 03:59 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 142 Times in 80 Posts

Thread bump for the Leo3! I recently switched back to my old Leopard3 after using a CE JLS as my understable control slot. The JLS was just too long sometimes.. no regrets switching back. Fell right back in the groove with the leopard’s flight.

So here’s my question - these new Drew Gibson Leopards.. Drewpards if you will... how are they flying? I love luster plastic, so I’m really considering grabbing a couple. Also are they all max weight? I havent seen any that aren’t.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2018, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 319 Times in 163 Posts

I’d also like to know about the Luster Leo3s. Very curious about stability, as a lot of molds seem to get beefier in Luster.
I’ve been making the transition from old Pro Leopards to Leo3s, and it’s going well. The new glows are great, the plastic feels good and they are incredibly flat; even more so than my early Star which was flatter than the ones I’ve seen recently. Leo3s have taken over my fairway slot, and even become my go-to touch sidearm disc for tunnels and sweeping shots.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Well I just bit the bullet and ordered two Gibson Lusters. If nobody beats me to it, I’ll do a write up when they come in.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-02-2018, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,387 Times in 801 Posts

My Drew Luster Leo3 is by far my most stable Leo3

Niced: (1)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Here is the the album containing profile comparisons: http://imgur.com/a/zOMqoqL
I’m on the iPad and couldn’t bring the images down from their huge size in a time effective manner, so you all get the link, sorry.
All comparisons have the Drew Gibson Luster on the left side. On the right side is a new Glow Champion Leopard3, a Star Leopard3 from I think the first run, and for good measure a shot with my trusty old PFN Pro Leopard.

The details for the three Leopard3s are as follows:
175 gram, Yellow Luster, 10/10 condition, brand new
175 gram, Glow Champion, 9/10 condition, used in field practice for a couple weeks
175 gram, Yellow Star, 9/10 condition, from the bag reserve stash

I have a relatively strong arm, and was throwing these around 250-325 feet forehand, and 300-350 feet backhand on low lines, trying to mimic the experience of dense woods golf while in the park.
Getting to the point, as far as flight goes, all three Leopard3s are more similar than they are different, by even the most critical measurements, but there are differences.

First off, the Gibson Luster was not as “overstable” as I’ve heard it built up to be. It would ride up just a hair on a good rip, glide straight for 75 percent of its flight, then begin a gradual forward fade with little skip. It is naturally a very straight-stable disc, with only a hint of turn when new. Compared to a regular Champion Leopard, the high speed turn happens sooner in the flight, and the fade happens later. In my experience, this seems to be a common theme with the “3” top discs.

The Star leopard3 had many of the qualities of the Luster, but would ride the straight glide longer before its modest fade. In the hand you could feel the tiny extra bit of shoulder, which I personally prefer, as it seemed to make it easier to grip.

The Glow Champion seems to be the relative outlier here. I think that the extra flat top takes away some of its high speed stability, as well as some glide at the end. It will get to the destination a bit faster, but with more wiggle before a larger, more sideways skip.

All of these differences being said, not even the most resilient HSS of the Luster, nor the extra fade of the Glow was even close to my 8/10 Glow Teebird3.

Part of me wishes I had a stock Champion to compare as well. Unfortunately, when the Leopard3 first came out, I went and bought one immediately, headed straight to the course, and the very first hole grip locked it into a headwind, watching it sail deep into a blackberry thicket. I’m lucky I ever gave the mold a second chance.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Niced 673 Times in 446 Posts

I haven't thrown other Leopard3s, but a Gibson Luster is in my bag. It's done really good for woods golf, good at hitting gaps with a little bit of turn but not flipping. Not beefy by any means. And AI like the luster champ plastic.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 177
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 145 Times in 89 Posts

The Leo3 is pretty darn awesome, Star has been my favorite. The ones I've thrown have been pretty true to the numbers and go very far when ripped but are also controllable for shot shaping and the woods.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts

Any one notice a difference between the APPOVED and APPROVED version of little Drew's leopard?
Old 08-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,606 Posts

Finally got some field work in with my glow champ Leo3. Feels great in the hand and when throwing. Fresh out of the box, it's a little more overstable than my Champ Leo3s and my Hannah Leatherman Star Leo3s. The glow Leo3 flies similar to a Star TL for me. Good disc; I'm going to work with it some more.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:47 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 130 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatLarry View Post
Any one notice a difference between the APPOVED and APPROVED version of little Drew's leopard?
The plastic on my appoved ones is stiffer

Niced: (1)