Old 12-11-2015, 04:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
You make a couple of excellent points. As to Wysocki carrying one: let's just stipulate that the Compass is as straight as the numbers say. It could then be to Wysocki what the Nova is to Paul McBeth. I'm sure Wysocki was sick to his stomach when he went OB on #17 of Winthorp at the USDGC and then watched McBeth drop that Nova steel-on-target (a little artillery lingo, there) onto the island green to secure the US Championship. This Compass may be Wysocki's answer for that. Of course I'm totally speculating on that. Time will tell...
I suppose you could be right. Wysocki has always seemed more like a power player than a finesse player to me. He throws pretty OS discs really hard generally. Maybe he's trying to be a bit more finesse with this disc or maybe it will act like a 5 5 0 1 for someone with his power level, but for mere mortals like us it will be more overstable. I could definitely see that being the case. If you get your mids out to 375, then this disc will act neutral; otherwise...
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 28.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 198 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
I love that there's a profile shot from the beginning. Quite helpful, hope it becomes a trend.
Excellent point.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
You make a couple of excellent points. As to Wysocki carrying one: let's just stipulate that the Compass is as straight as the numbers say. It could then be to Wysocki what the Nova is to Paul McBeth. I'm sure Wysocki was sick to his stomach when he went OB on #17 of Winthorp at the USDGC and then watched McBeth drop that Nova steel-on-target (a little artillery lingo, there) onto the island green to secure the US Championship. This Compass may be Wysocki's answer for that. Of course I'm totally speculating on that. Time will tell...
I think Wysocki's issue is not discs but his over-reliance on his forehand once the pressure gets up. In the big spots he switches to nearly all forehand, even when its a liability, like hole 17.

I don't really get it in terms of being a wysocki signature mold. The kid throws his putters until damn near 350, then switches to forehand for everything farther then that until he gets into his max distance backhand driving shots. Where's the hole this fills?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

Judging by the profile, it looks like it would fit somewhere between a Z Buzzz and Z Buzzz SS in terms of flight.

As for Wysocki's forehand-centric style, I pretty much play the same way. It is nice, not having to take your eyes off the target before you unload. I personally don't forehand on any shot that requires a disc to finish hard to my left, though.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,709 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
I think Wysocki's issue is not discs but his over-reliance on his forehand once the pressure gets up. In the big spots he switches to nearly all forehand, even when its a liability, like hole 17.

I don't really get it in terms of being a wysocki signature mold. The kid throws his putters until damn near 350, then switches to forehand for everything farther then that until he gets into his max distance backhand driving shots. Where's the hole this fills?
Rick has been involved with the design of the disc and has said he loves the test models he's thrown and that it will go into his bag once it is approved and in production. Who aside from the man himself can say whether it "fills a hole" or suits his game?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 823 Times in 563 Posts

I really wish forehand was deemed non-conforming.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 50
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Rick has been involved with the design of the disc and has said he loves the test models he's thrown and that it will go into his bag once it is approved and in production. Who aside from the man himself can say whether it "fills a hole" or suits his game?
I was more commenting in response to the nonsensical idea that Wysocki can't commit to a straight backhand shot from not having the right mold. Far be it from me to say he doesn't need this disc. I'm glad he's got a signature disc finally, but Like I said, I'm not really sure where it fits for him. He strikes me more like a nikko or JohnE type player, who don't really need midranges because they can throw putters so stinkin far.

I always assumed his first sig disc would be a putter designed to his exact specifications. But I guess the dagger is already perfect for him.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I really wish forehand was deemed non-conforming.
My forehand is non-conforming to anything resembling good (and safe) disc golf, so you're wish is on the way to reality
Old 12-11-2015, 06:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 302 Times in 156 Posts

It's a pretty tall disc. 2.3 cm compared to a buzzz at 1.9 and the truth/verdict at 1.7

Last edited by The Albatross; 12-11-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 221 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
I was more commenting in response to the nonsensical idea that Wysocki can't commit to a straight backhand shot from not having the right mold. Far be it from me to say he doesn't need this disc. I'm glad he's got a signature disc finally, but Like I said, I'm not really sure where it fits for him. He strikes me more like a nikko or JohnE type player, who don't really need midranges because they can throw putters so stinkin far.

I always assumed his first sig disc would be a putter designed to his exact specifications. But I guess the dagger is already perfect for him.
Could be a sales component to this being a sig disc, too. If it's a wide-appeal mid that many people can throw, that means more $ in his pocket.