Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

View Poll Results: Would you play?
Yes 22 62.86%
Only one 1 2.86%
No 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts
Default 2 1 round tournaments

One round, two tournaments at the same course, same day. Morning tourny and after lunch tourny.

Would you play?

Advantages/ disadvantages? Thoughts and opinions?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Need more info. Why do it in this format? If most players are staying to play both rounds anyway, is this just a way to hand out twice as many accolades?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

Sure, I'd play.

But why two separate tourney's? Is the second one different somehow from the first?
Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Basically just wondering if this would allow me to grab more people who would only have time for one round.

Obviously id have to pay two pdga sanctioning fees, but still might be worth it if you snag like 10 people who only play one or the other.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,709 Times in 1,540 Posts

One round tournaments? Those are called leagues, aren't they?

Are both rounds included in one entry fee or can you pay for each separately (and perhaps skip one or the other)?

I think if it was low cost and I could pick and choose one round or the other, I'd consider participating in something like that.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,430 Times in 1,502 Posts

Twice the sanctioning fees, twice the paperwork (if sanctioned).

Twice the fees, or the payouts are meager for each one.

Lunch/awards (for those playing only morning)/players meeting all at once.

On the other hand, it could be fund to play in---blow up in the morning event, get a fresh start in the afternoon one. Or, if you can't give up a whole day on that date, play the one that fits your schedule.

I've known a few places to do this on Saturday/Sunday. Two events, play either or both. It's a great option.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
One round tournaments? Those are called leagues, aren't they?

Are both rounds included in one entry fee or can you pay for each separately (and perhaps skip one or the other)?

I think if it was low cost and I could pick and choose one round or the other, I'd consider participating in something like that.
The one round tournament being called a league round is the reason for me thinking about this. A lot of people don't want to drive to play a glorified tag match, so figured this may work.

And of course low cost, think shelling merch on ams is lame. My club doesn't have a vendor like some, so we always do players packs.

Rather do like minimum cost just for ratings kinda deal.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 51
Niced 217 Times in 142 Posts

I voted no, because I'd rather have a two round tourney. One round would probably lead to a bunch of ties, and I think it's fun to see where you stand after one round and try to do better on the next one. Plus, from a TD perspective, would the hassle of having two separate one round tourneys really be worth the few people you'd pick up?*

*of course, if you've had lots of people say they'd show up for a one round tourney, it might be worth doing. However, you really could just run a pair of league rounds instead and have a separate, unsanctioned side tourney for people who play both league rounds that day; that way, they still get rated rounds, and people who were only going to play one round still get to play and get a rated round. IDK the full PDGA sanctioning deals and if a side tournament wouldn't be ok, but it's a thought.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
I voted no, because I'd rather have a two round tourney. One round would probably lead to a bunch of ties, and I think it's fun to see where you stand after one round and try to do better on the next one. Plus, from a TD perspective, would the hassle of having two separate one round tourneys really be worth the few people you'd pick up?*

*of course, if you've had lots of people say they'd show up for a one round tourney, it might be worth doing. However, you really could just run a pair of league rounds instead and have a separate, unsanctioned side tourney for people who play both league rounds that day; that way, they still get rated rounds, and people who were only going to play one round still get to play and get a rated round. IDK the full PDGA sanctioning deals and if a side tournament wouldn't be ok, but it's a thought.
Fair points.

Another reason for me thinking about this is because of how league rounds rate weirdly. I know some people disagree but league ratings just seems flawed.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

I voted no. Although I probably would play both rounds if it was local. But I likely would be discouraged to travel any real distance to play a pair of glorified tag matches.