Birdie Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 140 Times in 66 Posts
Default JDM's 2019 Bag

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: Since June of last year
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Envy: 220'; Gauge: 250'; Wraith: 350'
Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Star Wraith, (Slightly broken in) - main driver
175 Star Wraith, (Beat) - max distance
175 S-line PD ,(New) - overstable/headwind
175 Champ Glow Road Runner, (New)- turnovers/ rollers
Fairways
175 Pinnacle Patriot, (New)- hyzer flips/ straight
175 Pinnacle Rival, (New)- main fairway
175 Star Firebird, (Beat)- meathook/ utility/ forehand when needed
Mids:
176 Pinnacle Gauge, (new) - main mid
175 Front-line-X Mortor (slightly beat) - overstable/headwind

Putters:
175 Dx classic Aviar, (beat) - main putter
174 Neutron Envy, (slightly beat in)- Driving putter/ upshots
175 Esp Zone, (New)- Overtable upshots/ headwind upshots/ forehand upshots

I'm pretty happy with my bag right now but I think I'm at the point that my roadrunner is no longer a reliable turnover disc for me. I'll keep it in the bag for rollers but looking for something for those 300' plus turnover shots.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2019, 05:21 PM
Birdie Member

Just an update. I made the switch to judges today. Last couple of times playing I lost all confidence in my calssic aviar. It was a wet day playing so not the best conditions to try out a new putter but made all my in the circle putts. I even threw it off the tee once and flew beautifully so I might look for a Lucid judge in the near future for drives.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Birdie Member

So I decided to make the switch to putting with judges. I liked them so much I went and got a Lucid judge for driving and to save my classic blends from trees. I took out the mortor as well because I felt it over lapped with my zone. Also I added a MD3. After one round with it I'm convinced it's going to stay in my bag. Still trying to find a disc that will fill my big turnover needs. So far out of the discs I already the TD or roadrunner are the favorites. The TD has the most distance on the turnover but I'm inconsistent with it. Maybe I just need more time with that shot and disc.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 423 Times in 259 Posts

Good call on deciding on either Mortar or Zone but not both, and swapping in a less stable version of the disc that's no longer in your bag. I made a similar decision to not bag any mids more OS than a Verdict, since for me a Zone/Felon combo is all the utility OS choices I ever really need.

If the Judges don't work out for you, try putting a round or two with your Neutron Envy. If you like it then it'd be worth picking up couple Electron Envies for putting duties to pair with your throwing Envy.

Long-range turnover discs are tough to recommend, since they're by nature finicky and it's a fine line between reliably US and accidental throwler. Personally I've found the Axiom Vanish to be the most reliable flippy driver for my game (I've got roughly 15-30' more power than you). Vanish is more stable than a Roadrunner/Hatchet/TD, partially due to the fact that it's a little faster of a mold. But it is an excellent controllable turnover driver.

Last edited by aphilso1; 01-27-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:44 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
Just an update. I made the switch to judges today. Last couple of times playing I lost all confidence in my calssic aviar. It was a wet day playing so not the best conditions to try out a new putter but made all my in the circle putts. I even threw it off the tee once and flew beautifully so I might look for a Lucid judge in the near future for drives.
Similar story for me. I started out with Aviar P&As, and never gelled with them. Then I tried a Judge, and things got worlds better, instantly. I've since migrated to the Marshal.

You said something in an earlier post about the Roadrunner, and wanting a turnover disc. I would recommend you look into the Infinite Discs SPHINX. The Sphinx is (so I'm told) a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, and the Sphinx apparently inherited the best of both worlds. It's an awesome mold, and may be what you're looking for to succeed your Roadrunner.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Similar story for me. I started out with Aviar P&As, and never gelled with them. Then I tried a Judge, and things got worlds better, instantly. I've since migrated to the Marshal.

You said something in an earlier post about the Roadrunner, and wanting a turnover disc. I would recommend you look into the Infinite Discs SPHINX. The Sphinx is (so I'm told) a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, and the Sphinx apparently inherited the best of both worlds. It's an awesome mold, and may be what you're looking for to succeed your Roadrunner.
What plastic do you recommend? I-blend or G-blend?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:31 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm0514 View Post
What plastic do you recommend? I-blend or G-blend?
I am personally not a fan of GStar/G-blend, but I don't want that to cloud your thinking. If you like GStar/G-blend, the Sphinx would probably work well for you in that plastic. Mine are I-blend, and I like the plastic and the mold in that plastic.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:57 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 106 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post

I second the Sphinx recommendation. I love the I-Blend, too, but the G-Blend is getting rave reviews as an improved G-Star. I bought one, but haven't tried it yet due to the wintry weather here in Michigan. Get one of both!

Niced: (1)
Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Birdie Member

Update
Putters have stayed the same still Loving the judges as my putting putter.
Mids I have found my go-to and it's C-Line MD3. I can fully rip on it and it will go dead straight with a but if fade at the end. I only carry the gauge on one of the three courses here. I can get by with my envy on the other two.
Divers I have dropped the roadrunner and PD. The roadrunner I couldn't click with it. Maybe it was the champ plastic but it was just too stable for what I wanted it to do and my Patriot have taken over the turnover duties. PD was taken out of the bag because I only used it maybe once an round and I could get similar results with my firebird. I've also been bagging a pro boss lately for big flex shots. So far I'm happy with it but I am open for suggestions on a max d diver on a flex line.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 209 Times in 135 Posts

C-MD3 is pretty fantastic. The MD4 feels almost exactly like it and a P-Line MD4 flies just like a C-MD3 IMO. So if you ever want to Cycle some mids, just grab a P-MD4.

My Roadrunner was too stable as well. Just tried out an I-Blend Sphinx and it is much closer to what I was hoping for with the RR.