Old 06-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 821 Times in 393 Posts

I have played at Maple Hill several times before, and have found that it is wise to bring some sort of disc retrieval system since there is a lot of risk of throwing a disc into one of the ponds. I threw a disc into the pond on hole #1 Golds once. It was fairly close to the far edge of the pond and in plain view. So, I pulled out my Golden Retriever to get it back. I also stepped onto a slightly submerged rock on order to get a bit closer, but knowing that there are signs stating I am not allowed to enter the water. An employee told me that I must step out of the pond, so I stepped back to shore and continued swinging the retriever. They had no problem with that. I was in the wrong, and they reminded me of it. Just my experience. Great course.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2017, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,883 Times in 1,090 Posts

$20 for a round of dg?

Thats SO not parallel with dg ethics.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,707 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
$20 for a round of dg?

Thats SO not parallel with dg ethics.
Works great with business ethics, though. That is what they're doing, after all, running a business.

And it's only $20 for a round if you choose to only play one round. Play more if you feel you're not getting your money's worth.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,429 Times in 1,502 Posts

I think he meant, the ethics of players being entitled to free stuff, just because they're players. See the "Should TDs get paid" thread. You know, players packs for showing up for tournaments, TDs digging up sponsors to fund big payouts.....free or cheap access to someone else's land, to take advantage of someone else's hard work, fits right in with those ethics.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

My apologies. That was uncalled for. I spent a chunk of today repairing a pond spillway so we don't lose our dramatic water-carry shots, spreading a big pile of fill dirt we purchased into the eroded area, covering it with landscape fabric we purchased, and starting to move and set tons of rip-rap (heavy granite rocks) that we purchased, by hand in the humid 90-degree heat. With two first-aid breaks and a rain interruption, leaving several more hours to go. Just the two of us, because those disc golf ethics don't include an army of player volunteers. So I was sore and tired and a bit grumpy when I posted that. Sorry.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 154
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 619 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I think he meant, the ethics of players being entitled to free stuff, just because they're players. See the "Should TDs get paid" thread. You know, players packs for showing up for tournaments, TDs digging up sponsors to fund big payouts.....free or cheap access to someone else's land, to take advantage of someone else's hard work, fits right in with those ethics.
David, I know you don't typically harsh on people, and I read your apology. I don't know if elmex was being sarcastic, he probably was, but there's still no denying the accuracy of this quoted post. I see it ALL the time. I think most of the rest of us do, too. Well.. except the entitled ones.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:20 PM
* Ace Member *

If elmexdela's post was sarcastic, I missed it, and I doubly apologize.

I've seen enough of the hippiesh "disc golfers don't try to make money" posts, and certainly enough posts griping about pay-to-play, to have a bit of a kneejerk reaction. In a facebook post where Maple Hill's increase was announced, I said something to the effect of:

The whiners should save their $20, buy their own property and build their own course. Though they should be forwarned that when they do, strangers will demand to play it, and to set the terms for doing so.

So if he was being sarcastic, I doubly apologize, but leave my response for those who actually feel the way I misinterpreted elmexdela's post. And if not.....well, I was in a bad mood after a rough day of course work.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 137
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 195 Times in 110 Posts

My lifelong dream is to own a large amount of land in the mountains and valleys with a lot of holes, but I'm afraid of letting random people on to my property, because of people like this. (As well as illegal things on my property)

Niced: (1)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:03 AM
* Ace Member *

It's a fine dream, and the overwhelming majority of people who come will be appreciative and considerate.

But unless this is your second dream come true---the first being a winning lottery ticket, so you can hire a full staff---it comes with a price: you'll play less disc golf, because you'll have course to build and maintain.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 994 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
The course is nice, but you will be treated much better and won't be robbed of your money elsewhere.
So what, they held him down, took $20 out of his pocket and then pushed him onto the course? If he was so upset about an extra $10 he should have just went across the street to Pyramids.