Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 460 Times in 203 Posts
Default SaROCaM's Bag

Experience: 14 months playing
Throwing Style: RHBH, developing RHFH
Distances (RHBH): Putters 210/240 Mids 240/280 Fairways 270/320
Distance (RHFH): 180-240 depending on the disc (see below)

Other info: powerlifting training 4x/week, history of back, knee, elbow injuries/issues

Goals: improve consistency in hitting lines, increase distance, develop forehand
Desired feedback: additions to and/or subtractions from main bag, recommended discs for developing clean form both backhand and forehand (for fieldwork bag)

Currently throwing the Aviar3, Rocs, Leopard, Teebird, Thunderbird, Firebird for forehand shots. Getting a reliable straight to right fade, pretty happy with progress so far. For some reason I am more comfortable using Nate Sexton's style of FH grip rather than the more "conventional" FH grips.

Bag:

Putters:
175 DX Classic Aviar x2 (one seasoned, one fresh) main putters, one is a backup
167 Star Aviar3 (few rounds) BH/FH upshots, short drives
172 DX Aviar3 (few rounds) touch upshots, longer putter shots/drives

Mids:
180 Star Rancho Roc (few rounds) OS Roc
177 KC Pro Roc (seasoned) stable Roc
180 DX Roc (seasoned) straight Roc
177 DX Roc (well seasoned) straight to turnover Roc
176 DX Roc (beat) US Roc

Fairways:
167 Star Leopard (well seasoned) straight to turnover
165 Star Teebird (well seasoned) straight main driver
170 Champ Teebird (seasoned) OS Teebird
165 Champ Firebird (seasoned) main FB, very windy/must go left
175 Champ Firebird (seasoned) OS Firebird, mostly utility

Others:
169 Champ Thunderbird (a few rounds) Teebird shots, but usually about 25-30 feet longer
170 Champ Valkyrie (newish) wide open distance shots
167 Star Shryke (newish) had to check it out for myself
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

Very clean, simple bag. I like it a lot! Since you are searching for a disc to use for form development, an X Comet is my suggestion. Folks also swear by the Nova, which you might like since it appears you are a fan of Innova. I have no personal experience with the Nova, though.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Eagle Member

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The Comet is a disc I have been meaning to try, so I'll probably pick one up next.

I do bag all Innova, mostly because it is what I learned with but also because it is the easiest to find/replace. I have thrown others, mostly Discraft (Magnet, Challenger, Buzzz) but also a few Trilogy molds. Recently received a free Streamline Pilot to try out.

Haven't been playing all that long, but there are a lot of great choices out there.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 26
Niced 93 Times in 79 Posts

I like the bag. Some thought:

1. I bag a XT NOVA and a Star Aviar 3. You might consider adding a NOVA to your bag for dead straight or understable approachs or drives. Also the NOVA sticks when it lands, no skipping or fading.

2. mids look good.

3. fairways look good.

4. others. I would just use fairway driver until you can get consistent drives to go around 325-350. I would just get to know your five molds very very well and build your game upon those discs then add later once you get more distance and accuracy.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Thanks for the feedback. The Nova comes up again...guess I'll be trying that out also.

Shopping list:
Comet
Nova

For fieldwork my general plan is to throw mostly putters and mids, but also drivers to get used to the rims and nose angle. Short term distance goals are 1) make current distances feel "easy" and 2) get 10 more feet at a time. Eventually want to throw putters 300, Rocs around 325+, and Teebirds 350+. So the advice to throw the fairways until consistent 325-350 is spot on.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 26
Niced 93 Times in 79 Posts
Default DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The Nova comes up again...guess I'll be trying that out also.

Shopping list:
Comet
Nova

For fieldwork my general plan is to throw mostly putters and mids, but also drivers to get used to the rims and nose angle. Short term distance goals are 1) make current distances feel "easy" and 2) get 10 more feet at a time. Eventually want to throw putters 300, Rocs around 325+, and Teebirds 350+. So the advice to throw the fairways until consistent 325-350 is spot on.
Sounds good. Also If you are looking for a straight to understable mid to replace a Roc that you might lose/ if it gets to flippy or you retire it. I would suggest a Champion/Star Mako3 depending on your plastic preference.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

I throw classic aviars and DX rocs as well. Great choices there!

For field work I have a whole bag of classics and DX rocs. Usually 4-5 of each. I throw the JLS as well, so I have a small stack of 4-5 of those also. I'll just take one of the molds, or if I'm thinking I may do a round after work take 4-5 of each and just grab 1 of each for my round, then do some field work after. I have been trying lately to do just mids one day, just putters another, just fairways another. This way you have backups if you lose one, and are practicing with what you use in a round. Plus DX is pretty cheap so it's not a big investment.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
This way you have backups if you lose one, and are practicing with what you use in a round. Plus DX is pretty cheap so it's not a big investment.
Thanks, this is a great point. My fieldwork has been mostly with a mixed bag of discs. I do like the idea of using discs like the Comet and Nova that give immediate form feedback, but using the main molds for fieldwork should accelerate knowledge of those discs.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 100 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The Comet is a disc I have been meaning to try, so I'll probably pick one up next.

I do bag all Innova, mostly because it is what I learned with but also because it is the easiest to find/replace. I have thrown others, mostly Discraft (Magnet, Challenger, Buzzz) but also a few Trilogy molds. Recently received a free Streamline Pilot to try out.

Haven't been playing all that long, but there are a lot of great choices out there.
I don't think the Comet will disappoint you, and it will feel fairly similar to a Roc in your hand. At the very least it will give you honest feedback on your form, since they do a great job holding whatever line you put them on...including bad ones!

Curious how you like the Pilot. My buddy loves MVP/Axiom and has been curious about those. I am sure he will grab one soon enough.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinum View Post
Curious how you like the Pilot. My buddy loves MVP/Axiom and has been curious about those. I am sure he will grab one soon enough.
I liked the Pilot overall; I was given one in Electron Soft plastic around the time I first picked up the Aviar3. It flew very straight, and had a lot of glide. Really smooth and felt easy to throw. If not for the DX Aviar3 (which feels amazing to me), I would strongly consider bagging a Pilot.