Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Biggest Turnoff?

For those of us on DGCR, we have the luxury of being able to evaluate a course before driving out to it to check it out...however, some of us may not always do our homework, or back in the day when we only used the PDGA Course Directory, we'd find something nearby or on a route we would soon be traveling and make a point to stop at some unplayed course.

Have you ever pulled into a course you've never played and immediately decided that you weren't going to play? What factors influence your decision to just move on to your next stop? I know litter can be (and IS) a huge problem at many courses, but that alone has never turned me away...in fact, I still haven't encountered a course that I judged by its looks and immediately decided not to play; I like to give everything a shot, as that ugly duckling may just be a beautiful swan...sorry for the ridiculous analogy there.

Obvious heavy gang activity would be one major deterrent for me. Fortunately, I live in an area where that's not much of a problem ("wannabe" tough guys can suck it!). I guess you could lump that factor in with unfriendly locals, but that's something you couldn't really ascertain until you started playing, and this question pertains to WHAT WOULD PREVENT YOU FROM EVEN STEPPING ONTO THE FIRST TEE. Missing baskets? Definite turnoff.

Even temporary barriers to playing, such as flooded areas (some people I know will play as many holes as they can on such a course, but I like to get a whole round in!), other events at the park spilling over into the DG areas, etc.

When will you absolutely not play a round at a course you've never played (again, DGCR reviews aside)?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 828
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

The biggest thing that would turn me off to a course is navigation issues. I hate wandering around a course trying to figure out where to go next. That said, there is really nothing that I can think of that would make me turn around and leave once I got to the course.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 227
Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

The first time I wandered over to the Lake Creek Village Apartments course, the closest course to me, I knew it was not going to be an enjoyable time.

I didn't expect much as it is a 9 hole course cramped between a bunch of apartment buildings and a river. The first couple of holes are acceptable but 4 through 9 are just a jumble of baskets strewn accross an open space. This open space also has a very busy walking/biking path, a kids playground (which you throw directly at) and many people's "back yards".

I met a bunch of high schoolers who were "playing" the course and asked them what the layout was. They said that after hole 3 they just sort of make up their own course. Thats how ambiguous the layout is and how close together the baskets are. You can literally stand in any space in that area and make any basket your destination.

So I guess, long story short. I don't like playing wide open spaces where you can see almost every hole on the course. No surprises = no fun!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to fretgod321

i always play a course at least once regardless of how bad it is, just to say i have
Old 06-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 92
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretgod321 View Post
i always play a course at least once regardless of how bad it is, just to say i have
That's the approach I usually take...obviously someone cared enough about the sport (maybe not necessarily in planning a champion-caliber course) to go to the trouble of raising funds and installing the thing, so why let the way other people treat it affect your decision? I personally haven't turned down a course upon seeing it, but I can say there's a few courses that definitely weren't worth my time...
Old 06-12-2009, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
The biggest thing that would turn me off to a course is navigation issues. I hate wandering around a course trying to figure out where to go next. That said, there is really nothing that I can think of that would make me turn around and leave once I got to the course.
agreed. i also have a problem with really mean people that wont leave you alone.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 41.5
Courses Played: 276
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will also play any course, unless safety is a big concern. Having said that, my biggest turnoff would be an unkempt, overgrown course. If after every shot, I would have to search for my disc because the course so poorly maintained, then it would no longer be worth it.

This past winter, we had some courses that were a sheet of ice. I didn't play them at the time for fear of injury, so that's another turnoff for me.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 11
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not really sure what would turn me off to playing because I haven't been in that situation yet. Nothing pops into my head as something I would leave for. If it's built, I will play it.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 186
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

The only courses I've gone to and decided not to play were:
I think it was in Rapid City, SD and when I got there it was 20 something degrees and blowing about 40-50 mph - I passed.
The other was in Demoines, IA and was a little city park that was totally overgrown. Found the first basket ok, the second had the basket on the ground (the through-bolt was busted) and had grass 2' tall growing up through it. Just didn't seem worth the effort to find the whole course.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I get to the park, can't find the first tee and then realize that I wouldn't be able to find my disc if I threw it...then maybe I wouldn't even play. It would have to be pretty bad.