Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default A chronicle of starting over

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 4ish years
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: semi-ambidextrous
Throwing Style: RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Ridge: ?/?' ; Roc3: ?/?';

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: some tendonitis in left elbow
Other sport proficiencies?: Typical relatively fit suburban dad stuff
Additional Information: Short version: I'm primarily a LHBH player. My form has been completely out of whack lately on top of developing some elbow pain. Instead of working on my LHBH woes, I'm just going to give my left arm a break and let the elbow heal and start throwing RHBH. I'm already somewhat adept at it, so it's not a huge transition for me. Rather than just throwing my current bag, though, I'm going to start slow and grow into my bag as it makes sense. So, this is my starting point.

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: It's super light and not much decision-making involved!
Specific areas of desired feedback: Hopefully someone besides myself will be interested and/or entertained.
Immediate and long-term goals: Immediate and long-term is to just get better at RHBH. I'd actually be happy to end up primarily RHBH with LHBH being more of a situational option. Baby steps, though.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
None

Mids:
172g Star Roc3 (10/10) - Brand new, will be my mid for everything. I know it will go left sometimes when I don't want it to, but I'm determined to beat this thing senseless until it becomes my turnover mid.
180g Star Roc3 (8/10) - Was previously my main mid, but hoping the lighter new one will beat in faster. Backup, extra throws.
175g Champ Roc3 (10/10) - Extra throws.
180g Champ Roc3 (9/10) - Extra throws.

Putters:
169g Medium Ridge (9/10) - Driving putter. My newest Ridge, so I want to start beating it in to catch it up to the others.
174g Medium Ridge (7/10) - Extra throws.
173g Medium Ridge (7/10) - Extra throws.
175g SSS Wizard (8/10) - Putting putter. I have four Wizards of similar weight and various blends (OG, SSS, SS) which all feel about the same, which I use for putting practice and rotate into round duties. When RDG gets some Fossil Lizards available, I'm going to switch to a stack of those.

Basically I'm starting with a Star Roc3 and Medium Ridge and will throw them for everything. I figure the Ridge will be for anything inside 200' (assuming I can get it that far right now, TBD) and the Roc3 for everything else. I'm not too concerned about shaping shots just yet, I mainly just want to get as comfortable with RHBH as I am with LHBH. When time/situation allows, I'll throw my backups as additional practice.

I'll be throwing my first round tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 53
Niced 15 Times in 12 Posts

(I've got some fossil wizards for sale if you want some)
Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCrawford View Post
(I've got some fossil wizards for sale if you want some)
Heh, thanks, but I'm local to Jamie and RDG...I'll bide my time.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 21 Times in 15 Posts

ever think of rocking little less stability? might make a difference and get you little more distance.
mako3/comet?
metor/fuse?
even a stratus for a tweaner on the mids to fareways
Old 03-25-2016, 01:16 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbound View Post
ever think of rocking little less stability? might make a difference and get you little more distance.
mako3/comet?
metor/fuse?
even a stratus for a tweaner on the mids to fareways
Yeah, I've been pondering exactly that. I have a practically new X Comet that I'm considering bringing along. My hesitation with that is three-fold...
  1. It's historically windy as hell here this time of year and I don't want to switch between Comet and Roc3 based on wind right now.
  2. I really love the feel of the Roc3 in the hand, have a stack of them, and would like to have an array of them in different stabilities, which is why I'm planning on just throwing the one Star Roc3 for now. The Comet feels okay, but just okay.

I will probably bring the Comet along for field practice, possibly picking up a couple more for field practice and form diagnosis. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got in a quick field session before work this morning. Had some good takeaways...
  1. I started implementing what I learned from this thread and saw immediate results. I was only getting the Ridges out to about 190' and the Roc3s to around 210', but I found feel it.
  2. I couldn't help but want to try what I'd learn lefty. I torqued over the first throw and I felt a twinge in my left elbow. Yeah, resting that is the correct thing to do.
  3. I then strarted concentrating on really holding the disc in front of me during the X-step and working my body around the disc, instead of reaching back. Bam...Ridges out to 210', Roc3s out to 240'.

I'm really happy with this first session. It was pretty awesome to find something tangible to apply to my technique and see instant results. I'm looking to play two rounds later today. The first is at a super long, open course, the second at a shorter, much more challenging and technical course. It's really hard to not bring a driver along for that long open course, but I want to stick with this method and hopefully get the Roc3s out to 300' before I add to the bag.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The two rounds yesterday were a smashing success! ....if you don't count holes 2-18 at Creve Coeur....

I birdied the first hole of the first round, which arguably shouldn't be a par 4 in the first place. From there it went downhill fast to a +15, highlighted by a 7 on hole 7, wherein I literally hit a tree on every.single.throw. until I put it in the basket. There aren't a whole lot of trees to hit at Creve Coeur, so that's quite an accomplishment! Aside from that disaster and a double bogey on the previous hole, the rest of the "bad" holes were just bogeys. I don't feel too terrible about that. It's a very long course, and me throwing a mid on 600+ft par 4s is going to make for tough pars.

The next round went much better, at Quail Ridge. It's my home course, where I already throw about a third of my tee shots RHBH anyway. I shot a -2, which is in the wheelhouse for my average, probably on the lower end. I like forcing myself to disc down here, because it shows just how many of the holes are reachable with a mid for a viable birdie attempt. I was definitely getting more distance than I was in the field in the morning...probably closer to 250'-260' with the Roc3.

I considered this a really good start. I'm anxious to get out for another round soon, but my right shoulder is kind of gassed, so I'll probably give it a break for the weekend.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Remember that home course? Where I shot -2 the other day? Yeah, not so much today. +6. Ooof. It's alright, though...was in a hurry, wasn't really trying to compete, was just blowing through the round with a buddy.

On the plus side, I really started to feel the drives toward the end. I wasn't booming them, but I was doing a lot better job of extending during the reach back/work around and pulling when I reached full extension. You know when you start the pull and it really feels like you're really pulling something? That's what started to happen. While I wasn't all of a sudden crushing them, I felt very confident, nothing was getting torqued over and I was hitting the lines I wanted. Winning! Kinda...in a very mediocre kind of way.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another home course round over the weekend, shot even. Nothing too exciting. I felt good, form felt right. I was hitting my lines pretty good but wasn't parking anything by any means.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 51
Niced 213 Times in 140 Posts

You might try picking up a DX or McPro Roc3 to break in more quickly than that Star one, and then once it breaks in throw the Star one back in the bag; that way you can get to throwing a seasoned up Roc3 more quickly and then still have the Star to beat on while having the other Roc3 in the bag for those beat up mid shots that the Star can't quite handle yet