Old 03-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 28 Times in 8 Posts

The biggest difference I see right now when compared to a few years back is Ricky has taken over the role of best putter in the world. I've watched a few events lately and those automatic 30-45 footers that McBeth was drilling on the regular aren't falling for him as consistently. Say what you want about Ricky's "safe" play, but he's getting leads and holding on to them because other players are having to take chances to keep up with Ricky's ability to slam chains with consistency from inside of 50'.

I'm not a fan boy of either player, I just enjoy watching good golf. I personally think it will be a year dominated by Wysocki regardless of the type of course they play on. I'm not saying he'll run the table or anything like that, but in order for any of the main contenders to catch him this year, they will have to improve their already stellar putting.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 10:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 233 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
It wasn't a slight.

The interviewer asked Paul who his biggest competitors were. Ricky and Will. That's not a slight. Then he said, if I'm close, I can beat Ricky. He didn't say, I can always catch Ricky, or if I'm close I'm gonna beat him.

Posters took the worst possible interpretation of Paul's words. They didn't even go middle of the road.

Paul measures what he says. He's a marketer and a businessman. He was building a competitive picture that has pretty much worked. People are still talking about this two years later.
Without selectively quoting an article from before the first NT of the 2016 season (and before Paul's injury), Ricky's 'safe' putting zone if a full 10-15 farther than Paul's if he is not comfortable from a straight-line stance. His straddle may be money from 45 feet now, but 2015 Paul was a dagger on the pole from 60 feet.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 233 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
Without selectively quoting an article from before the first NT of the 2016 season (and before Paul's injury), Ricky's 'safe' putting zone if a full 10-15 farther than Paul's if he is not comfortable from a straight-line stance. His straddle may be money from 45 feet now, but 2015 Paul was a dagger on the pole from 60 feet.
*is a full 10-15
Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
I think this is correct. You can see his frustration out there. Given that he's playing in a stance that suggests he's hurt, I have to wonder if he will ever be 100%?
Old 03-04-2017, 01:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,427 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I think this is correct. You can see his frustration out there. Given that he's playing in a stance that suggests he's hurt, I have to wonder if he will ever be 100%?
I don't think we can assume that his change in putting stance in the last couple events means he's injured at the moment.

Remember he changed to the straddle last year not because injury prevented him from a more upright stance, but because the injury prevented him from sustained practice in the upright stance. He could only practice putt so long before pain/discomfort forced him to stop. Practicing the straddle was the best way for him to put in the time necessary to keep himself sharp. Perhaps a side-effect of all that work is that, even now when he's healthy, the straddle is what is working best for him.

This could be a thing for Paul for a while. Assuming he's perfectly healthy, one weekend off here and there probably isn't going to provide him enough time to breaking down and building up whatever is "off" in his upright putting mechanics. In the meantime, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he continues to ride it out putting primarily from the straddle for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I don't think we can assume that his change in putting stance in the last couple events means he's injured at the moment.

Remember he changed to the straddle last year not because injury prevented him from a more upright stance, but because the injury prevented him from sustained practice in the upright stance. He could only practice putt so long before pain/discomfort forced him to stop. Practicing the straddle was the best way for him to put in the time necessary to keep himself sharp. Perhaps a side-effect of all that work is that, even now when he's healthy, the straddle is what is working best for him.

This could be a thing for Paul for a while. Assuming he's perfectly healthy, one weekend off here and there probably isn't going to provide him enough time to breaking down and building up whatever is "off" in his upright putting mechanics. In the meantime, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he continues to ride it out putting primarily from the straddle for the foreseeable future.
True, but the straddle he's using, as Bill wrote, doesn't seem to give him the push off, and thus the distance, he used to have. I'm not disagreeing with you, I think you are likely to be correct. Will be interesting to see how it goes for the season.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

I know how to beat Ricky. Mach X baskets. He seems to be getting more splash outs than he typically does. It may well be he's off a bit, but I wonder if all baskets don't have sweet spots and if the Mach X's don't line up as well with Ricky's game? Keep in mind, I didn't count.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-04-2017, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 218 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

This is the correct assessment. Quote from Paul recently:

“To get my putt where it was took 10 years. But then having a year off of struggling and things changing, it’s gonna be a little bit to get it back to that point. Straddle’s just easier because it’s mostly just arm movement, and then the weight’s evenly distributed with my legs.”

Old 03-04-2017, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
I was silly enough to think that "running through the year" would mean 6 or 7 of those majors/NTs/DGPTs, including Worlds. But if you meant every single one, I'll take you at your word.
You're didn't think I'd make it easy for you?

Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Apparently, the way you beat Ricky is by beating him into the ground, hole after hole. Im not being meanjust saying thats what it takes, and it aint gonna happen often. This could be the best season ever. BTW, anyone who now thinks Paul is going to run away with a big chunk is wrong too, IMO. I loved seeing Simon on fire, and I wish Nate's final round had gone better. Long season though.