Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-15-2016, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 660 Times in 521 Posts
Default Most overstable driver you've ever thrown

What is it? I think I found mine today. A flat Nuke OS. No dome at all. Fished it out of a lake earlier this year.

Just looking at the disc I had some inkling it would be pretty overstable. Usually Nuke OSs have some dome though. This one is literally board flat.

Wow. Even out of the hand it shoots left and flies like a brick. No distance to speak of and zero glide. I'm even used to throwing overstable discs, but this one is on a whole other level. Its so glideless and short I couldn't even find a spot for it in the bag.

Anyone else have any real glideless clunkers? This disc was practically useless.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 114 Times in 89 Posts

FH flex shots, get out of jail shots. That's what that is for haha
I threw a buddy's D1 one day that he said he thought was a little on the beefy side. That thing was like a freakin X1.5, I have never thrown something that overstable in my life. With 400 feet of power it went maybe 250 tops.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 338 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
What is it? I think I found mine today. A flat Nuke OS. No dome at all. Fished it out of a lake earlier this year.

Just looking at the disc I had some inkling it would be pretty overstable. Usually Nuke OSs have some dome though. This one is literally board flat.

Wow. Even out of the hand it shoots left and flies like a brick. No distance to speak of and zero glide. I'm even used to throwing overstable discs, but this one is on a whole other level. Its so glideless and short I couldn't even find a spot for it in the bag.

Anyone else have any real glideless clunkers? This disc was practically useless.
Have you thrown it overhand?
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 35
Niced 170 Times in 64 Posts

Discs that come to mind (that I've thrown):

Bubble rimmed C-PD2's (2nd runs I think)
A freak S-DD2
Early runs of Opto XXX
Stiletto
750 X1 (400 series was much less stable)
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,066 Times in 1,540 Posts

If you're talking drivers, I'd say my FAF Glow Champ Firebird. The Opto Missilen (which I found on the course) is also really beefy.

For any disc, my TP Harp has turned out to be a brick. I threw it and it was going straight then suddenly was at a 45 degree angle, still going forward, but just banked like an airplane. Then it went for the ground. Though the numbers are 4,3,0,3; the Harp is more of an overstable brick than the Champ Rhyno (2,1,0,3) I just acquired, much less my Star Gator (5,2,0,3). That's right, I am getting more glide and distance out of a Rhyno than a Harp, go figure...
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
FH flex shots, get out of jail shots. That's what that is for haha
I threw a buddy's D1 one day that he said he thought was a little on the beefy side. That thing was like a freakin X1.5, I have never thrown something that overstable in my life. With 400 feet of power it went maybe 250 tops.
I cranked on this Nuke OS hard a couple times and probably didn't get it 250'. I also throw an Xcaliber and a Flick, so I'm used to throwing beefy stuff.

This Nuke OS was WAAYYY more overstable than either of them. Threw it once forehand and it crashed and burned right. Its un-flex-able.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 90 Times in 57 Posts

Gateway Speed Demon. That thing's practically a boomerang, especially with my noodle arm.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
If you're talking drivers, I'd say my FAF Glow Champ Firebird. The Opto Missilen (which I found on the course) is also really beefy.

For any disc, my TP Harp has turned out to be a brick. I threw it and it was going straight then suddenly was at a 45 degree angle, still going forward, but just banked like an airplane. Then it went for the ground. Though the numbers are 4,3,0,3; the Harp is more of an overstable brick than the Champ Rhyno (2,1,0,3) I just acquired, much less my Star Gator (5,2,0,3). That's right, I am getting more glide and distance out of a Rhyno than a Harp, go figure...
I sometimes like a good, beefy mid. I put a L64 Pain in the bag. Great, great disc. Overstable, but still has glide and gets some distance. It booted my Z Wasp out. Wasp was a bit prone to flipping for whatever reason.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 665 Times in 441 Posts

Couldn't help but prerube a bit. Here's another similar thread with a poll.

I voted Nuke OS back then, and it's still my answer, though I haven't tried some others. I have a decent forehand and overhand, but it's still too much meat for those uses unless there's a crazy headwind. I wouldn't call it glideless, but it fades hard.

As far as other overstable discs go, the Cryztal FLX Trackers (someone called them "FireTrackers") are ridiculously overstable. Maybe more than a Nuke OS, though lower speed so hard to compare...

Niced: (2)

Last edited by armiller; 12-15-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Have you thrown it overhand?
No, that isn't a shot I've ever utilized on a course. All the courses here are open anyway, you don't need a tomahawk or anything like that.