Old 03-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts
Default Using another player to help putts

This is far-fetched and doubtful to arise but hear me out.

Say you're waiting to putt and another player has just holed out. The other player comes in to clear the basket from the side, let's say to your right, and you decide to use the moment the player is right beside the basket to rifle in a putt, knowing that if you miss right you can hit the player and maybe carom back in. Maybe because you putt hard and the baskets are prone to spit-outs so using the other guy as a backstop is insurance or maybe you've got a death putt and hitting the other guy and stopping is better than missing and flying down a hill/OB, whatever.

What's the call here?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 75 Times in 52 Posts

I believe there is a rule against intentionally breaking the rules. DQ.

The following actions also violate the above standard. Players who commit one or more of these violations will not receive a warning, and will be immediately disqualified by the Tournament Director:
Cheating: a willful attempt to circumvent the rules of play.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 488 Times in 222 Posts

Are you suggesting Kan Jam Disc Golf?

Niced: (1)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 307
Niced 2,082 Times in 1,031 Posts

If a player was so quick to putt that their miss carroms off me as I'm walking away from the basket I'd give them a warning...

That if they do that again, I just might bounce one of my drivers off them... or my car off them in the parking lot.

I don't know of a specific rule being violated but strongly suspect it could at least be called as a courtesy violation.

In any event, it's damned discourteous and disrespectful on a personal level, and obviously a d!ck move in general to try and use another player's body to intentionally interfere with the movement of your disc.

Pretty sure that:
a) creating intentional interference is against the rules.
b) proving intent is an uphill battle.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-10-2019, 03:06 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 716 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Are you suggesting Kan Jam Disc Golf?
Using a Galvanized metal version of the Kan Jam thing with a Galvanized Steel post set in middle of the Kan Jam like tube that is missing the opening on the side could work for a harder no chain basket on a course or for a home course.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,155 Times in 1,420 Posts

To begin with, the first rule in the Courtesy Rule section reads:

"A player must not:

Throw if the throw might injure someone or distract another player..."

Though it all seems a foolish hypothetical to me; the chances of it helping the putting player are lower than the chances of his missing by rushing to time his putt exactly right.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 659 Times in 320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
If a player was so quick to putt that their miss carroms off me as I'm walking away from the basket I'd give them a warning...

That if they do that again, I just might bounce one of my drivers off them... or my car off them in the parking lot.
Now we know what happened with Josh Anthon.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,416 Times in 1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
To begin with, the first rule in the Courtesy Rule section reads:

"A player must not:

Throw if the throw might injure someone or distract another player..."

Though it all seems a foolish hypothetical to me; the chances of it helping the putting player are lower than the chances of his missing by rushing to time his putt exactly right.
This is the answer. It's a courtesy violation at the very least for throwing when it was not safe to do so, let alone with intent to potential hit another player. I've seen warnings be issued to players that inadvertently threw on the group in front of them. For a player to intentionally throw when another player is in range because they think hitting that player would be advantageous seems beyond the pale, even if it is a putt.

Unfortunately, it would probably take multiple instances rather than just one for it to go beyond the warning into penalties that would actually have an impact. Without a explicit admission of intent, one such incident in a round wouldn't justify TD action (e.g. disqualification).

Old 03-11-2019, 07:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,155 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
This is the answer. It's a courtesy violation at the very least for throwing when it was not safe to do so, let alone with intent to potential hit another player. I've seen warnings be issued to players that inadvertently threw on the group in front of them. For a player to intentionally throw when another player is in range because they think hitting that player would be advantageous seems beyond the pale, even if it is a putt.

Unfortunately, it would probably take multiple instances rather than just one for it to go beyond the warning into penalties that would actually have an impact. Without a explicit admission of intent, one such incident in a round wouldn't justify TD action (e.g. disqualification).
There may be other rules that apply. I don't have mental command of the rulebook, and have to look them up; often with uncertainty over what I'm overlooking, elsewhere in the book. But the first one I read (under "Courtesy") certainly seems to fit.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts

"Sorry man, I was so focused on my chain link that I had blinders on and didn't see you clearing the basket." That's all you'd have to say to ward off a courtesy violation.

I always think of the awkward situations where multiple guys have not quite gimmies but usually automatic putts and you never know if one guy cares if the basket is clear for his putt or likes to quick putt and you're not sure if you should rush over and clear your putt or wait for the other guy to let you know.