Old 07-04-2019, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 703 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I think with Macbeth going to distract and still crushing shows that this mold familiarity concept is vastly overrated. It's the Archer, not the arrow that matters

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Not only does he have better form than 90% of all disc golfers but he’s also already thrown his new discs more than your amateur level player has in many years of playing.

The only way your argument would have any validity is if McBeth played every tournament with a whole new bag including new molds and he still finished the year in the top 10.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 09:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,160 Times in 678 Posts

It would be intresting to see McBeth play 18 holes with only 3 discs of his choice. . against him self with a complete bag

I know they did the "starterpack challenge" but that was not disc he normaly throws, way to US for him
Old 07-04-2019, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,017 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
I think with Macbeth going to distract and still crushing shows that this mold familiarity concept is vastly overrated. It's the Archer, not the arrow that matters

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Hes still throwing force/anax/predator for basically all of his drives

I'm sure he's also put in countless hours more than typical ams will this entire year learning those new discs

Old 07-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,478 Times in 684 Posts

Quote:
And I think comparing what pros can do to average chuckers in vastly overrated.

And if we're comparing pros; I'd be more interested to see the list of pros who learned by throwing a different disc for every shot. And I don't mean have tried out discs to find what works for them.

Paul didn't become great because he threw a different disc for every shot, he learned how to throw, to adjust for lines and knows what type of discs he prefers. You don't become a great archer by using a different arrow ever draw, then it becomes just luck.

How many thousands of shots did Paul take with a Nova, and then transferred it over to a Big-z Luna? Paul can throw what every he wants because he can figure out how to make it fly, even if he doesn't care for it.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:55 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,182 Times in 827 Posts

Beating a dead horse: If you know how to play and can execute a shot, you can basically take more or less any disc (within reason for the stability you need for the shot) and after a couple of throws know how much anny or hyzer you need to execute the shot. Top tier golfers can do that.

Us? Hell, I can't take the same disc and execute the same shot a lot of the time. The reason I don't jump around from disc to disc? It's the archer, not the arrow. The discs I've chosen can be used to execute the shot. If they don't, I screwed something up. Changing discs doesn't fix my form.

How minimalism works is that you stop blaming the disc and start focusing on your form and what you did to make the disc do what it did. It's really easy to putt into a headwind and watch the disc lift over the basket and think "I need to get a more overstable putter". You don't need a more overstable putter, you need to learn to putt into a headwind.

Now, if you are not going to work at improving at all and are just going to throw the way you throw and take the results you get that's fine. It's a recreational activity. You don't have to practice. If you are that guy and want to try to find a disc for every situation that's cool, you can do that. The fact of the matter is that so far as advice for improving goes, somebody who wants to be a better golfer needs to learn how to throw. It's easier to focus on your form and realize it's the archer with fewer discs.

So we end up with this back and forth because we are all different and have different priorities. In the 90's when I was still in my 30's and thought I could be better I carried four molds. If I wanted a drive to finish right I put anny on a Cyclone and threw it there. When I wanted a disc to finish left I put hyzer on a Cyclone and threw it there. Easy. Now I'm old, my back and arm are shot and I'm not going to get any better. I mostly just play for fresh air and sunshine. So when I want a drive to finish right I have this beat-up DX Valkyrie and when I want a drive to finish left I have the Firebird. Easy. You can do either one, there is no right or wrong here. It just depends on who you are and what you want to get out of disc golf.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,590 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
So when I want a drive to finish right I have this beat-up DX Valkyrie and when I want a drive to finish left I have the Firebird. Easy. You can do either one, there is no right or wrong here. It just depends on who you are and what you want to get out of disc golf.
What do you do on straight shots?
Old 07-04-2019, 01:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
What do you do on straight shots?
Bitch and moan for awhile and then decide if I want to throw out of the shule on the left or the shule on the right.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 139 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
But it also very hard to beat in a ROC to fly like a Mako. . . i use the BUZZZ and a can΄t get a beat in one to fly like a BUZZZ SS, and i prefer the flight of a new BUZZZ SS over a beaten in BUZZZ
This is where I can’t relate to your statements.. it is not difficult to beat a Roc or Buzzz to the point that they flip up and fly dead straight - Like a Mako or a Buzz SS. Just takes time. A couple of years even for premium plastics.

I bag Rocs and used to bag Buzzes.. When I first started with the Buzz I had a TI and aBuzz SS. That Ti Buzz definitely started to fly like an SS after a season, and it replaced my SS for hyzer flips and turnovers. So I hope I am not being rude in saying that maybe you don’t have the arm speed to make a seasoned Buzz fly like an SS.. But I have just had a different experience with them than you.

By the way, your English is good! No worries there.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 68 Times in 38 Posts

Not to derail, but the roc has a supposed 3 fade compared to a mako3's 0. Doesnt the roc keep its fade?

Old 07-04-2019, 11:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacledbear View Post
Not to derail, but the roc has a supposed 3 fade compared to a mako3's 0. Doesnt the roc keep its fade?
The reason the Roc cycles so well is that it starts out HSS with that fade from the LSS. As you beat one in, the HSS stays so it doesn't really flip on you. It's the LSS that beats out first and you get essentially a straight flight. Keep on beating it and eventually it will start to develop turn. So you can beat a Roc from overstable to understable, and when it's beat into that sweet spot in-between it's pretty much just straight. At that point it's fairly similar to a Mako3, although it's a slower flight with more glide to it than a Mako3.