Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have putted with wizards for the past two years or so of regular play and I have used them with both pitch and spin putting styles. I currently use a Nikko/Feldberg hybrid pitch putt and use the wizards. I love driving/throwing upshots both backhand (00) and forehand (<225) with wizards. My first putter was an aviar and it lasted me for a long time. It was super beat and I loved it for upshots I NEEDED to finish right (RHBH), hyzer upshots that would go laser straight due to how flippy it was and long, long putts (60'-100'). I recently lost it and a friend recommended a magic to replace it. After putting with wizards my impression of the magic is that they putt similarly to a wizard inside of 30' with a slightly slower drop rate. They are better than wizards for low-ceiling spin putts and anhyzer putts due to how they track right rather than hzyering out like a wizard. They will really hold a line and hold their height on long jump putts better than wizards or challengers. My main midrange discs are comets and I feel very comfortable throwing the magic off the tee as a result. It is a great hyzer-flip putter and for tight fairways 200'-275' with a bit of height to work with I can throw it on a hyzer in the middle of the gap and it will fly almost perfectly straight. I also trust it for anhyzer shots on the 250' range where I will throw it flat with an anhyzer x-step (back right of teepad to front left) and it will track right very reliably with this slight OAT. It is also a very good disc for short approach shots (<200') as it needs little room left/right to work and can fly well with an abbreviated reachback and/or a short quick wristy upshot. My preferred throwing style is hyzer>flat>anhyzer for both BH and FH. I feel that this will greatly effect how you like throwing the magic.

I recommend the magic if you:

Like throwing hyzerflips.

Need a quick replacement to a more beat putter.

Want a less stable alternative to a more stable putter mold.

Like throwing (under)stable midranges ie. comet, stingray, meteor, fuse or stratus.

I do not recommend the magic if you:

Prefer to throw flat or anhyzer shots. (It will not fly straight for you consistently except possibly in premium [evo ] plastic.)

Throw with greater than 80% power on the majority of your shots. (You will have a hard time controlling the magic. It seems to like more spin than speed).

Have thrown a comet and ditched it because it turned into a roller when you threw it.

TL;DR:
The magic is a good understable putter. It compliments more stable putter molds well and works great for touch upshots/drives especially of the hyzer-flip/anhyzer variety.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

^^^ Sounds like it just fits where my throwing style has gone lately. Been throwing smoother and with putting less power and relying on glide of discs over speed and I have gravitated toward the Comet also because of it. Its amazing how all this stuff is adding up.

Whats funny is throwing a River made me realise just how far I could get with less power; only a hair shorter than when throwing hard, but so much more control, and it seems to have echoed through my bag to my other spots. From Cores to a Comet with a Roc to compliment, and now from the Ridges being launched as a projectile to using Magics

The River seems totally irrellevant to this thread but I seriously feel it has changed my approach to how I throw and lead me to see how good Comets and now Magics are.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sounds like you have started to realize your style. Maybe you need a putter and an approach putter. It would be great if 1 disc works, but you may need two. I think Clint Eastwood said it best, ' A man's got to know his limitations'!

In other words, I think you need to solve this one on your own. Find your true putter, and them find the drive/approach putter that works for your form. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Anyway, I'm curious in its distance capability as I havent really tried to push it yet. I was throwing Wizards, Ions, Ridges, and Bangers around 225'-235' with the occasion 250' throw. I suspect I might need a little more hyzer on the Magics but they are still highly capable of that distance as well; correct?
Yes, highly capable of that distance. I can put S & SS Magics out to 250' fairly easily.

I like Magics b/c:
they tell me why I'm missing my putt.
they are the best for straddle putting that I've used.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Par Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think John Wall may excite, but Dwight Howard would crush.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Yes, highly capable of that distance. I can put S & SS Magics out to 250' fairly easily.

I like Magics b/c:
they tell me why I'm missing my putt.they are the best for straddle putting that I've used.
That part here is what I really liked about them the first time out. I have had an issue with bouncing off the front of the basket a lot and my other putters drop to do it, now when I do it with the magic, its because I really aimed to low cause it doesnt do that drop. Doesnt really do much of anything on its own except glide, and I really like that.

I never really considered myself a straddle putter but most of the time I find myself actually physically straddled for one reason or another, and I suppose that even when I dont have my legs spread like Niko, it still is the general throwing motion I do.