Old 09-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 164
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,226 Times in 1,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious EJ View Post
You mean like the 11/12/16 cluster on Wellspring? Anyways, 15 is a par 4 with the basket not really reachable from the tee. There's a good 45 ft or more from 15's basket to where I'd put 16's gold tee. Ideal? Probably not, but take a look next time you play and you'll see a fantastic hole.

As for 8, if we got a group of guys out there one day and rent a chipper that we can pull into the trench, I think we can hack away at the hillside and send the chips into the rough on the right. Heck, the chips could go over the fairway for all I care- I don't think it would hurt it. Might help actually. Anybody know how much it would cost to rent a chipper?
11 and 12 isn't bad b/c of some elevation difference, 12 and 16 isn't ideal. It's a very old course so that alleviates some of its warts. A good example of what I'm talking about is just about every other hole over at Leigh Farm in Durham. Some tees might actually be within 10 meters of the baskets.

On 15, if your drive ends up along the right near the fence, the basket's only about a 300' hyzer away for someone with good control.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I've yet to see a bottleneck anywhere, so if you're already on your 2nd shot of 15, I'd imagine the players on 16 would've already teed off. All I'm saying is take a look- I'm strictly a blue tee player, and the blue tee for 16 is, well, not very interesting. In fact, its EXACTLY the same hole as #1. The gold tee, however, has an overhanging tree branch on the right, and a big yellow sign on the left. Its way more fun, but its not really a gold caliber tee, in my opinion. But if you moved 90 ft back... Plus, it'd give that archer something solid on which to place his target as he illegally shoots a bow and arrow in a city park.

Surely you are not without ideas, suggestions, things you'd change if you could. This was just one of mine. One of many, lol
Old 09-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like right at 50 ft.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Verified Jurkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious EJ View Post
Surely you are not without ideas, suggestions, things you'd change if you could. This was just one of mine. One of many, lol
No EJ, I will not entertain others' ideas on a public forum.

And don't call me Shirley.

Yeah, that proposed location looks like the landing zone I was going to try the next time I played that hole. With Google Earth it looks like the distance is more like 40' I remember where the basket is roughly. It'd have to be a huge upgrade of the hole to move it back there; I'll definitely check it out.

(pretty sure Robin Hood is going to shoot there regardless of moving the tee back.)
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Interesting...

Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Verified Jurkface

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Hit me up Sloppy if you ever man up and play this gold level beast.

It's worth a perusal, it's not a complete fiasco like NE park. It's like Cedarock in a more open park setting with lots of OB roads and ballfields.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Verified Jurkface

I have 2 easy to execute ideas that I think would greatly improve Springwood.

I've been harping on about that last mando and the more I play it, the more I don't like it. It's really not even that necessary from a safety standpoint because if you play around the 2nd mando legally the softball fields get a very good deal out of the picture. I've tried to figure out what that last section of the hole reminds me of and it finally dawned on me (thanks to watching Mike C's videos). Hole 9 at USDGC:

A little mock-up so you can better see the similarity:

If you moved the basket to where the red dot is (generally), they'd be brothers. Cousins at least. Moving the basket is a pain in the butt but if you went the extra mile and did it I think it would negate much of the difficulty lost by removing the last mando. Where the basket is now, you can blast a line drive into those thick pines and they'll save you bad overthrows.

Idea 2 is the roughly nonexistent fairway on hole 15. I think the minimal work/damage done would be a slight RHBH anny route to the corner of the field. That corner I've highlighted in yellow is a great landing area off the tee b/c it rewards you with a doable (but risky if it's windy) 300' hyzer over the OB pasture/farmland.

EJ, I don't like the idea of moving 16's tee behind 15's basket. If the course was backed up and good players were throwing big hyzers or overhands over those trees for their second shot there would be considerable potential for hitting players teeing off. It would be a cool and challenging look, but I think it would be just as good if you moved the tee to the corner of the parking lot, where the garbage dumps can shield the tee from errant approaches on hole 15. *cue DSmith chiming in to mention that moving already poured tees is a pain in the ass*
Old 09-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Verified Jurkface

I played terrible today but I nearly birdied hole 11 gold from about ~250' out. Hyzered an Eagle over the rough and it crashed on top of the basket. Nice to get an easy 3 on that hole.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can get on board with moving 16's tee beside the dumpsters. They don't get much garbage, especially foodstuffs, so the smell would not be a problem, and I looked at the distance yesterday, and you are right, there isn't sufficient room between 15's basket and that right corner. I still recommend pulling those tees back though.

I've always been against that third mando on 3. Your basket placement idea is the same one I had, but for "4," when I suggested splitting 3 into two holes. I would have put the basket for 3 tucked into the pines shortly before the break between the two sets of pines with a narrow entry point that rewarded precision to get under par.

The play you describe on 15, I don't land exactly there, more toward the middle of the clearing, but I still have used that shot well to approach. Landing near the fence would be OK, but that 6 ft grass just on the other side just swallows plastic. If anybody finds my candy-colored XL 1.5........ But of course, that'd be trespassing!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

As for 8- I talked to Buzz and he's got some things to take care of now the course is in the ground. I was thinking getting a group together to rent a chipper one weekend or just a Sat or Sun. If we break it up with enough people, we can keep the cost down, and if we send the chips into the rough on the north (right) side, there wouldn't be anything to haul away, and everyone wins. Shoot, I bet we could get the city to let us use their own chipper if it kept them from having to haul it away. A large enough squad of guys with machetes and gas trimmers could mow down that rough on the hill in no time. Club project? I can talk to the park staff if you guys want to gauge the notion.