Old 02-23-2019, 01:59 AM
PDGA Tech. Standards Chair Jeff Homburg

Years Playing: 46.9
Courses Played: 237
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 62 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer1025 View Post
I paid $300 for a disc back in 1994, while at the Pro Worlds in Port Arthur. This is by far the most I've paid for another disc. But it was for a very special disc, however, the first run of discs ever made by Innova, a clear (actually it was transluscent) Eagle made in 1982; that is, the original Eagle (not the sharp-edged Eagle that was later released in 1999) that was later slightly retooled to make the Aero. The bald Eagles lacked a hot stamp (hence the name, 'bald') and there is no lettering on the bottom, such as the "Patent Pending" later put on the bottom of the Aero. The second run bald Eagle is yellow and I think there were more of those made.

I'm not sure how many of the clear bald Eagles were made, but I think there were only about 50 or so made. Innova sent these discs around to several top disc golfers around the country so they could try them out, but then they recalled them and asked for everyone to send them back. I actually got to throw one that was sent to Lavone Wolfe while I was in a disc golf event at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville (back in 1983, I think). It clearly went farther than any other discs at the time (the furthest flying discs at that time included flatter-edged discs such as the Puppy, Super Puppy, AMF Voit (21 and 23 cm discs), and 70 and 71 molds. But I have to admit, I didn't really think such beveled discs should be permitted in disc golf. They so radically changed the game that I wasn't convinced that it was a good thing to have so many of disc golf courses become outmoded.

I talked to Tim Selinske of Innova at the 1994 Worlds after I bought the disc and he said that none of the folks at Innova even had one of those first run discs left. So it is obvious that this is a very, very rare disc. I'm not sure what the value of the clear bald Eagle is, but it must be at the top of the list of rare and historically important golf discs. The one I have is not mint, but it is still in very good condition, having been thrown only two or three times or so.
I recently learned that only 20 of these discs were made and I only know of two other people who have them.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2019, 02:09 AM
PDGA Tech. Standards Chair Jeff Homburg

Years Playing: 46.9
Courses Played: 237
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 62 Times in 20 Posts

If you want this disc you can buy it here for $5,500 if you so desire. It is not an overstatement to say that this unstamped Innova bald Eagle test shot disc is truly the holy grail of all golf discs. https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store...productId=1426
Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 21 Times in 12 Posts

****. I just remembered I purchased a 1st run Pink Destroyer with the rainbow stamp (9.5/10) for $70 bucks in like late 2015 from a buddy who quit playing. Still have it, as its just sitting in my closet unthrown. Can't wait to sell that bad boy in 2021 for like 300 bones and become disc golf rich babay!

Old 02-23-2019, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 174
Niced 110 Times in 67 Posts

When it was all said and done, I paid nearly 70 for a custom dye job. That was the total between him buying the disc new for me and then doing a multi-color stencil with a background. I am not begrudging the work, but there was some sticker-shock on my end. I turned around the next day after receiving it and winning two CTPs in the same tournament with it, collecting a new dyed Z Nuke and 41 dollars in cash.