#131  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:49 AM
PhillyMatt PhillyMatt is offline
Broad Street Bully
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delmar, DE
Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,247
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
those are what I am talking about-- new players really could careless about that stuff and have NO clue even the difference. Ill go out on a limb and even say that if you asked a player at a DG course if they knew could tell you what a CE blend disc even REALLY is (I don't even know nor have I ever seen/held/wanted one) you might find 1/10 players and they likely did not just pick up the sport.
You are forgetting one important point with what you are saying..

..once those "new players" become not new anymore, they will want those discs.

When I first started all I threw was DX plastic. Bought them for $8 each off ebay. Got at least 1 of every mold. Then I joined these sites, played more etc etc

Now my bag has 0 DX discs. It has 11x discs, 4 chains magnets, OOP first run valk... etc

Once players learn the value (both money and throwing value) of those olds discs, they get into them.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Aim For The Chains's Avatar
Aim For The Chains Aim For The Chains is offline
FROLF OFF!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MINNESOTA
Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 16,261
Niced 490 Times in 369 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMatt View Post
You are forgetting one important point with what you are saying..

..once those "new players" become not new anymore, they will want those discs.

When I first started all I threw was DX plastic. Bought them for $8 each off ebay. Got at least 1 of every mold. Then I joined these sites, played more etc etc

Now my bag has 0 DX discs. It has 11x discs, 4 chains magnets, OOP first run valk... etc

Once players learn the value (both money and throwing value) of those olds discs, they get into them.
I would say maybe a year or two ago this would be more true but the amount of NEW and readily available discs has grown exponentially over the past year even let alone 5 years. Those discs are special because they are sought out from that time or for a collector value but throwing those discs is not a long-term viable option for someone who wants a consistent bag.

we are in the middle of a OOP/rare disc price bubble and only because people like you are out there trying to find them-- you are not the average player (your on here too that doesn't count at all lol)
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 206
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 14,915
Niced 435 Times in 248 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Those discs are special because they are sought out from that time or for a collector value but throwing those discs is not a long-term viable option for someone who wants a consistent bag.
And yet people still try to maintain it. The CEs of today will be the 11X/pre-flight numbers of tomorrow. There's an old expression that a fool and his money are soon parted. There will always be fools.

I say "people didn't believe CE would be popular when it was on shelves", and you say "exactly, no one is going to pay premiums for the stuff of today". See a pattern?
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Jukeshoe's Avatar
Jukeshoe Jukeshoe is offline
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: A bubble.
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 217
Posts: 7,328
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

People still use Facebook?
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
PhillyMatt PhillyMatt is offline
Broad Street Bully
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delmar, DE
Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,247
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Of course with most collectibles, the new "first runs" of today are produced in MUCH larger numbers then the first runs of 20 years ago. That's what makes the old ones more collectible. I think the value on CE will constantly rise a small percent.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Aim For The Chains's Avatar
Aim For The Chains Aim For The Chains is offline
FROLF OFF!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MINNESOTA
Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 16,261
Niced 490 Times in 369 Posts
Default

Ill bet more people were throwing CE a year ago than they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
Larger market on fb

Thats all i see as a difference. Nothing bad about it at all,people are still selling and the collectors market is booming mpre than ever. Though,because of all the new collectors,lots of older collectors are cashing out. Like me,i never thought id sell my ce aviars,but i cashed out and made out well enough to not regret it.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 07-09-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
I think I'm important
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,552
Niced 261 Times in 167 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Default

I stopped selling here and moved 100% to facebook for three reasons:

1. I had to pay $5 to do so.

I'm not saying that I have an issue to do so or don't think that I should pay a fee to sell on a private website, but if I can sell other places cheaper, why wouldn't I?

2. Larger Market. More people see my for sale stuff. That simple.

3. Easier. Facebook makes it easier b/c posting photos is way easier than here, especially via mobile, which I take my photos from. This is mainly due to it having an app and this site not having an app.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM
apparition's Avatar
apparition apparition is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Mitten
Courses Played: 44
Posts: 1,101
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It sounds like FB has already killed the MP. And I had no idea because I'm not on FB and haven't been since college. I had no idea Facebook was such a popular selling resource. Is it as popular or more popular than Craigslist? It doesn't really matter to me as a seller. I never thought of reselling discs in the MP as a way to make money, just a way to offset the cost of buying discs I ended up not liking.

I guess I've found the only reason I've ever had to recreate a FB account: to locate and buy a few very specific discs simply because it's a larger market.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
I think I'm important
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,552
Niced 261 Times in 167 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apparition View Post
Is it as popular or more popular than Craigslist? It doesn't really matter to me as a seller.

I guess I've found the only reason I've ever had to recreate a FB account: to locate and buy a few very specific discs simply because it's a larger market.
The sales are in groups and the groups have thousands of members.
Reply With Quote
 

  #140  
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM
prerube's Avatar
prerube prerube is offline
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Clinton, MD
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 250
Posts: 11,390
Niced 18 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
People still use Facebook?
yeah, there is no instagram dg auctions
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.