Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 133 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
If there has been anything that I've learned in dabbling in collectibles, its that you have to strike while the iron is hot, and if millions of others are doing the same thing that you are in hoarding something away in hopes it will be worth something in twenty years, the only time that iron is going to be hot is early on before everyone starts cleaning their closets out. A lot of folks who got into baseball cards back in the 80's found this out the hard way.

So I can't blame folks who were trying to get $30+ for Ten Year Anniversary Buzzzes right after snatching them up at retail. You're going to be lucky to get that down the road.
this is a good point, especially with new plastics in the future. Some of those old discs are going to get passed by.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2014, 01:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 121 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
One good thing about the auction sites..sometimes stuff like this comes up and restores my faith in humanity:

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo...ser=1302398160
the best part of that post is that when i click the link, the tab displayed at the top of google chrome says "Content Not Found".
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmers View Post
I'm with you, brother.

I was playing with a friend today and pulled out my Heisenberg Crank on #18. He looked at me and said, "I can't believe you're throwing that." He said he has one that's hanging on his wall.

And that's cool. As an DG addict myself I can understand the desire to surround yourself with the game and decorate a room with cool plastic. I wouldn't do it myself, but I can understand that. Personally, I would never buy a disc that I wouldn't throw. But that's just me. I don't understand buying something you don't use. My wife has this antique china that we eat on only at Christmas. Same thing. I don't get this. If you have it, use it.

I could be wrong and maybe miss out on an opportunity to "score big" on the Facebook auction circuit one day ten or twenty years down the road when disc golf explodes and the USDGC is all over NBC and having a 35-year old Roc that Climo or McBeth or Doss or some other big shot endorsed is worth thousands of dollars, but I just like to play. I'd rather use a disc to sink a birdie on the course than use it to improve the interior design of my man-cave.

Your mileage may vary...
I honestly think the opportunity to score big is right now....I think its a bubble and its going to pop at some point. I mean people are paying 60 70 bucks for star destroyers..come on...either that or Im missing something there. either way just an example but still....

As for the collecting thing there are only 2 discs I have on display...one is a really cool ice F3 and the other is a Prodigy M2 proto with nearly the entire teams signature on it. Worthy for display id say.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 344
Niced 254 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
i try to collect beautiful discs i see. that's about it.

sometimes they're so cool looking i have to throw them. but only if they're a mold i would already throw.
I'm with ya. I've got a couple Wizards I don't think I'll throw and might end up on the wall... a 2010 Worlds stamp and this year's holiday version. With that said, Wizards are cheap, and it's way more for the artwork than the value.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeButch View Post
alot of people don't live in cold climates or don't play much in winter
It absolutely does not matter, CE is at the end of it's life. I found a shattered CE Teebird in 75+ degree weather in La Mirada , CA . The group playing the hole towards me said it hit the tree and cracked and the guy let me keep it for my wall. While cold does progress the breaking of plastic, it isn't mandatory for the plastic to shatter, once the plastic runs out of the oils holding it together it is only a matter of time before it goes.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 83
Niced 17 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
As for the collecting thing there are only 2 discs I have on display...one is a really cool ice F3 and the other is a Prodigy M2 proto with nearly the entire teams signature on it. Worthy for display id say.
Absolutely. I will probably display some discs myself at some point -- e.g. the first disc I hit an ace with (if/when that day comes) -- but I draw the line at paying over $25.00 for a frisbee.

Yeah, I said it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im the same way. I saw no more than 30 for a thrower but actually its probably no more than 20. i do have 2 I paid a little more than 30 for, but ones a glow worlds roc3 and a death by roc glow roc 3. I got a little caught up with them and it was supporting worlds and my local club so it was ok.

These guys dropping 60/70 bucks on destroyers though.....50 for kc pro whatever..not now not ever lol definitely makes me wish I had some destroyers laying around though.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't personally like to buy discs that I'm not going to throw, or plastic just to hang up on the wall.

BUT....I could see why some people would be into hoarding collectible stuff. I used to collect basketball cards because I liked them, not for the value, but because I had fun ordering and ripping open a pack.

Everyone is into different things, to put down other people for collecting stuff makes no sense. Anything that helps the sport grow, and makes people like it, is a plus for me.

With that said, I do think it's ridiculous that people are trying to take advantage of other people by lying about the rarity or saying something is oop when it isn't.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans 5-8 View Post
I don't personally like to buy discs that I'm not going to throw, or plastic just to hang up on the wall.

BUT....I could see why some people would be into hoarding collectible stuff. I used to collect basketball cards because I liked them, not for the value, but because I had fun ordering and ripping open a pack.

Everyone is into different things, to put down other people for collecting stuff makes no sense. Anything that helps the sport grow, and makes people like it, is a plus for me.

With that said, I do think it's ridiculous that people are trying to take advantage of other people by lying about the rarity or saying something is oop when it isn't.

I have yet to see a lie on any of the FB pages technically. For example someone is saying pre flight numbers / patent numbers discs are OOP they're technically not lying, because Innova is no longer producing discs with those details . Same with any other OOP characteristics.

It's not like anyone is purposely ripping other people off, they're simply putting up what they have to offer and other people are paying what they want to pay for it, nobody is forcing them to pay those insane prices.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 18
Niced 29 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyThunders View Post
It's not like anyone is purposely ripping other people off, they're simply putting up what they have to offer and other people are paying what they want to pay for it, nobody is forcing them to pay those insane prices.
Some dude wiped part of a BT Swan 2 stamp and successfully passed it off as a rare Swan 1. That's about the most egregious thing I've seen, though.