Old 05-11-2021, 12:30 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
Try taking the Wraith and Tresspass out. See how much it affects your score. The core section of your bag, should be able to cover almost all, but the farthest courses for you.
I do actually need them for a few holes on my home course. There's three par 3's that you need a 120-140m drive to reach. I could of course play these for par but I don't like not having the "option" to birdie every hole. There's a couple of par 4's that get substantially harder if you don't bite off 120m+ in the drive as well, although those hole I would still be able to birdie with the DD's.

On the other course in town I definitely don't need them though, they come in handy on two holes for it's not a necessity by any means to get the birdie.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-17-2021, 04:25 AM
Bogey Member

Thought it could be fun with some pictures. This is what I've been rocking the last week or so. Whenever I only play with 4-5 discs I shoot every bit as well as with my full bag, not sure what to take away from that but I guess it's the archer and not the arrows. There's not many shots I feel I can't execute with these discs, it's only when the wind really picks up that I can feel a smidge handicapped in certain situations.

Been back to the Roach lately, it glides a lot more than the Reko which seems to fit my putting a bit better.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:20 AM
Bogey Member

I'm starting to feel really comfortable with my bag and feel like I'm almost set. I haven't focused much on my putting the last few months and gonna spend some time on that. Testing the Roach and Reko more side by side. But this is the core of my bag and most of the time the only discs I bring to the course. Usually one of each.

2x Roach
3x Method
2x Explorer
2x Felon
2x Wraith

I do add some gapfillers though:

Zone (FH/wind approaches)
Essence (rollers, sharp turnovers, both BH and FH)
Destroyer (big hyzers, headwinds)

Went back to the Wraith even do I lose a bit of easy distance compared to the Trespass. The Wraith is a bit more overstable and it helps me be more accurate, it also works a lot better for my FH.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:40 AM
Bogey Member

It's been really windy the last week or so and I've been struggling a bit. I realised I've been missing my Thunderbirds and thus I popped it in the bag a couple of days ago, it made a big difference. It makes it a lot easier to throw straight with control in the wind instead of trying to finesse an Explorer or Felon. I actually find that the Thunderbird handles wind better than the Felon and on numerous occassions my Felons have turned over quite a bit in the wind.

The Thunderbird have been my most thrown disc the last two rounds and I obviously make myself a disservice not having it in the bag, I think I went a bit overboard with the minimalism. This does change a bit how I use the Explorer and Felon slots though and I feel I need to evaluate this a bit further since the Thunderbird will steal a lot of shots from those. The Explorer will probably not be used much in the open anymore which means I might want something straighter/neutral with a bit of turn for the woods. I will probably primarily throw the Thunderbird for my FH's and big hyzers which means I'd have more use of an even more OS and glideless disc in the Felon slot. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

On another note I received my Upper Park Shift a few days ago and it's been awesome. Super light and fits enough discs and stuff to cover my needs. When I'm going for more casual rounds with my friends I have my trusty DD Soldier Cooler bag.

2x Roach
3x Method
2x Explorer
2x Felon
2x Thunderbird
2x Wraith
Old 06-07-2021, 03:18 AM
Bogey Member

With the distance I have I really think I should be scoring better and playing at a higher rating. Need to figure out exactly what I'm doing bad and how to work on it. Some reflections of the last couple rounds:

- Stupid mistakes seems to be a big part of it. The good rounds I have is generally not characterised by more birdies but rather with less bogeys.
- My scrambling is bad. Partly because I need to widen my skillset but mainly because I go for the hero shot way too often instead of conceiding the par or bogey.
- My putting has gotten way better the last year, of course it can get much better but I don't think this is what's holding me back.
- Approaches needs to be better, long or short, they're all too bad. Very often will I put myself in a good spot off the tee and then mess it up on the approach.
- Need to get better at hitting gaps, especially with a low ceiling.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-08-2021, 02:10 PM
Bogey Member

Tied my personal best at my home course today with a Roach, a Buzzz and a Thunderbird... I don't know what it is but I always throw the disc better when I bring less discs, it's gotta be mental.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:20 AM
Bogey Member

I'm really satisfied with my Upper Park Shift, it's been exactly what I wanted. Fits enough discs and is super light and comfortable.

I've been going back and forth between the Buzzz and the Method lately, I love the flight of the Method but the bead is messing with me. I usually prefer shallow beadless discs and this is no exeption, the last few rounds the Buzzz has taken the spot.

This is what I've mostly been rolling the last couple of weeks:

2x Roach
2x Zone
2x Buzzz
1x Neo Method
1x Neo Essence
2x Explorer
2x Firebird
2x Thunderbird
1x Wraith
1x Destroyer

I've been leaning heavily on the Thunderbirds since I put them back in the bag, they give me a lot of effortless and accurate distance. The Destroyer has also been stealing more and more shots from the Wraith, it takes some more oomph to get the distance but it's much more reliable. The Wraith is very touchy in winds (unless it's a tailwind).

I plan on starting logging what discs I throw during rounds, I think that could be a fun statistic to see.