#61  
Old 01-09-2022, 08:12 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Posts: 19,521
Niced 6,975 Times in 4,022 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
I believe a picture speaks a thousand words. You can definitely see the change in technique as the technology improved. To me the big difference seems that modern players engage their hips and lower body much better than players from the past because modern discs can handle the power that generates.
I don't agree that disc technology has helped technique. It usually masks bad technique. If someone really wants to improve form it's better to disc down to more old school style discs.

GG throwing Sonics shows that his technique can handle anything. However Drew Gibson said that Dynamic didn't make discs overstable enough to handle his technique. Seppo Paju also said that he doesn't like to throw high speed drivers because they are harder on the body.
Sponsored Links

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-09-2022, 08:50 PM
foxdawg10 foxdawg10 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 568
Niced 416 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don't agree that disc technology has helped technique. It usually masks bad technique. If someone really wants to improve form it's better to disc down to more old school style discs.

GG throwing Sonics shows that his technique can handle anything. However Drew Gibson said that Dynamic didn't make discs overstable enough to handle his technique. Seppo Paju also said that he doesn't like to throw high speed drivers because they are harder on the body.
I was referring only to the top level distance throwers who can handle the higher speed discs. I agree 100% that throwing discs that are way beyond a player's armspeed can lead to all kinds of problems.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-09-2022, 09:00 PM
foxdawg10 foxdawg10 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 568
Niced 416 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don't agree that disc technology has helped technique. It usually masks bad technique. If someone really wants to improve form it's better to disc down to more old school style discs.

GG throwing Sonics shows that his technique can handle anything. However Drew Gibson said that Dynamic didn't make discs overstable enough to handle his technique. Seppo Paju also said that he doesn't like to throw high speed drivers because they are harder on the body.
I'm not sure that I understand this part. If someone doesn't have the technique to throw a 14 speed overstable disc, the disc will fade out too fast. They would need to overtorque the heck out of it to make it fly anywhere near the way it is supposed to fly.

On the other hand, I can throw a 13 speed understable disc (Relativity) and shape it in a variety of ways with slower armspeed.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-10-2022, 07:02 AM
biscoe biscoe is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: spotsylvania, va
Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Posts: 8,268
Niced 5,281 Times in 1,950 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
I'm not sure that I understand this part. If someone doesn't have the technique to throw a 14 speed overstable disc, the disc will fade out too fast. They would need to overtorque the heck out of it to make it fly anywhere near the way it is supposed to fly.

On the other hand, I can throw a 13 speed understable disc (Relativity) and shape it in a variety of ways with slower armspeed.
Fading early is not the only manifestation of bad technique. Turning over stuff that shouldn't turn over is very common as well (OAT,etc). There are a ton of players out there who think they can only throw overstable discs due to their terrible form.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-10-2022, 07:25 AM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,569
Niced 1,720 Times in 772 Posts
Default

Yeah. My natural throw is a pretty steep hyzer. So with my lack of arm speed, I can flip up really understable drivers and get a straight flight and maybe a bit of an S. Stable and overstable drivers never come out of hyzer, so I don't get a lot of distance. I sort of assumed that was how it was with all newer or slower armed players.

A lot of the people that I play with throw the same distance as me, but they are doing it by throwing much more stable discs like Destroyers on a pronounced S curve. They all either throw my discs into the ground or yeet them 250 feet to the right.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-10-2022, 07:35 AM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,002
Niced 1,820 Times in 923 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Fading early is not the only manifestation of bad technique. Turning over stuff that shouldn't turn over is very common as well (OAT,etc). There are a ton of players out there who think they can only throw overstable discs due to their terrible form.

Well, technically, they think they can only throw overstable discs because they “have too much power” to throw anything else. Admitting bad form would be like admitting to have a less than adequately sized member.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-10-2022, 07:42 AM
foxdawg10 foxdawg10 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 568
Niced 416 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Well, technically, they think they can only throw overstable discs because they “have too much power” to throw anything else. Admitting bad form would be like admitting to have a less than adequately sized member.
You mean all the reports of 450 ft internet distance throws are lies. I feel let down, lol.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-10-2022, 09:26 AM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,002
Niced 1,820 Times in 923 Posts
Default Distance: Today's players, yesterday's discs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
You mean all the reports of 450 ft internet distance throws are lies. I feel let down, lol.

Ha. Not all of them I’m sure. I play with a couple of guys who can legit throw 450 so I know it’s real.

I frequently play shorter courses to keep my short game dialed and if I had a nickel for everyone that I see throwing a Destroyer or Thunderbird on a 250’ hole I’d be a rich man. I’d imagine some of those people have 500’ of internet distance and would find most of my discs way too flippy for their arms.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-10-2022, 09:40 AM
foxdawg10 foxdawg10 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 568
Niced 416 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ha. Not all of them I’m sure. I play with a couple of guys who can legit throw 450 so I know it’s real.

I frequently play shorter courses to keep my short game dialed and if I had a nickel for everyone that I see throwing a Destroyer or Thunderbird on a 250’ hole I’d be a rich man. I’d imagine some of those people have 500’ of internet distance and would find most of my discs way too flippy for their arms.
Lol, I hear ya. 450 these days seems very reasonable for mid level advanced players. Most good young guys I see these days can bomb, they have advantages and motivation we didn't have back in the day.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 01-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Dcinmd Dcinmd is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 770
Niced 761 Times in 366 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
However Drew Gibson said that Dynamic didn't make discs overstable enough to handle his technique.
To be fair to Drew, yeah we really shouldn't, he does mash a Buzz pretty far with good technique.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much do players over/under estimate their mean driving distance on DGCR? corin_brown General Disc Golf Chat 168 06-22-2015 05:56 PM
like new discs for new players ticklethetruth The Marketplace 6 06-18-2015 12:24 AM
Discs For Today.........7-21-2011 JustSayin' The Marketplace 8 07-22-2011 10:17 PM
so i set a personal distance record today... REDARMY Technique & Strategy 20 06-28-2010 10:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.