Old 01-09-2022, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,975 Times in 4,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdawg10 View Post
I believe a picture speaks a thousand words. You can definitely see the change in technique as the technology improved. To me the big difference seems that modern players engage their hips and lower body much better than players from the past because modern discs can handle the power that generates.
I don't agree that disc technology has helped technique. It usually masks bad technique. If someone really wants to improve form it's better to disc down to more old school style discs.

GG throwing Sonics shows that his technique can handle anything. However Drew Gibson said that Dynamic didn't make discs overstable enough to handle his technique. Seppo Paju also said that he doesn't like to throw high speed drivers because they are harder on the body.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2022, 08:50 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 416 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don't agree that disc technology has helped technique. It usually masks bad technique. If someone really wants to improve form it's better to disc down to more old school style discs.

GG throwing Sonics shows that his technique can handle anything. However Drew Gibson said that Dynamic didn't make discs overstable enough to handle his technique. Seppo Paju also said that he doesn't like to throw high speed drivers because they are harder on the body.
I was referring only to the top level distance throwers who can handle the higher speed discs. I agree 100% that throwing discs that are way beyond a player's armspeed can lead to all kinds of problems.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:00 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:

I'm not sure that I understand this part. If someone doesn't have the technique to throw a 14 speed overstable disc, the disc will fade out too fast. They would need to overtorque the heck out of it to make it fly anywhere near the way it is supposed to fly.

On the other hand, I can throw a 13 speed understable disc (Relativity) and shape it in a variety of ways with slower armspeed.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28
Courses Played: 122
Niced 5,281 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure that I understand this part. If someone doesn't have the technique to throw a 14 speed overstable disc, the disc will fade out too fast. They would need to overtorque the heck out of it to make it fly anywhere near the way it is supposed to fly.

On the other hand, I can throw a 13 speed understable disc (Relativity) and shape it in a variety of ways with slower armspeed.
Fading early is not the only manifestation of bad technique. Turning over stuff that shouldn't turn over is very common as well (OAT,etc). There are a ton of players out there who think they can only throw overstable discs due to their terrible form.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-10-2022, 07:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,720 Times in 772 Posts

Yeah. My natural throw is a pretty steep hyzer. So with my lack of arm speed, I can flip up really understable drivers and get a straight flight and maybe a bit of an S. Stable and overstable drivers never come out of hyzer, so I don't get a lot of distance. I sort of assumed that was how it was with all newer or slower armed players.

A lot of the people that I play with throw the same distance as me, but they are doing it by throwing much more stable discs like Destroyers on a pronounced S curve. They all either throw my discs into the ground or yeet them 250 feet to the right.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,820 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Fading early is not the only manifestation of bad technique. Turning over stuff that shouldn't turn over is very common as well (OAT,etc). There are a ton of players out there who think they can only throw overstable discs due to their terrible form.

Well, technically, they think they can only throw overstable discs because they “have too much power” to throw anything else. Admitting bad form would be like admitting to have a less than adequately sized member.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-10-2022, 07:42 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Well, technically, they think they can only throw overstable discs because they “have too much power” to throw anything else. Admitting bad form would be like admitting to have a less than adequately sized member.
You mean all the reports of 450 ft internet distance throws are lies. I feel let down, lol.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2022, 09:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,820 Times in 923 Posts
Default Distance: Today's players, yesterday's discs?

Quote:
You mean all the reports of 450 ft internet distance throws are lies. I feel let down, lol.

Ha. Not all of them I’m sure. I play with a couple of guys who can legit throw 450 so I know it’s real.

I frequently play shorter courses to keep my short game dialed and if I had a nickel for everyone that I see throwing a Destroyer or Thunderbird on a 250’ hole I’d be a rich man. I’d imagine some of those people have 500’ of internet distance and would find most of my discs way too flippy for their arms.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:40 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ha. Not all of them I’m sure. I play with a couple of guys who can legit throw 450 so I know it’s real.

I frequently play shorter courses to keep my short game dialed and if I had a nickel for everyone that I see throwing a Destroyer or Thunderbird on a 250’ hole I’d be a rich man. I’d imagine some of those people have 500’ of internet distance and would find most of my discs way too flippy for their arms.
Lol, I hear ya. 450 these days seems very reasonable for mid level advanced players. Most good young guys I see these days can bomb, they have advantages and motivation we didn't have back in the day.

Niced: (1)

Old 01-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 761 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
However Drew Gibson said that Dynamic didn't make discs overstable enough to handle his technique.
To be fair to Drew, yeah we really shouldn't, he does mash a Buzz pretty far with good technique.