Old 10-09-2015, 09:28 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,108 Times in 743 Posts

Did you attempt to read the thread at all?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 88
Niced 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Did you attempt to read the thread at all?
Glad you went out of the way to be so helpful. Im at work and posted from my cell. Dont have time to look all the way through the thread atm. Was hoping for some quick pics other than the stock photo.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,181 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanter2376 View Post
Glad you went out of the way to be so helpful. Im at work and posted from my cell. Dont have time to look all the way through the thread atm. Was hoping for some quick pics other than the stock photo.
Take your time. Do your research. Read through the thread. Be an informed consumer.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,450 Times in 746 Posts

What questions do you have? I'm not ready to write a review, but I can answer your inquiries as best I can.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:09 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,108 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey H View Post
Here's a pic of the two carts from the top. As you can see despite the wider main compartment the Delta has a narrower track than the Ridge Roller. I'm not sure how the quick release axle on the new Ridge Rollers effects that but I never liked how far the axle nut on the wheel of the RR stuck out.

Is
Quote:
When I received it from Delta the only thing I had to assemble was the telescoping handle which only required a 5mm Allen key. The shipping weight was 19 lbs. I just hopped on my bathroom scale with it and it was 29lbs on the nose. That was with 21 discs and assorted towels, markers, bag tags, etc.
Quote:
The mechanisms seem simple, easily accessible, and instructions were included for where to lubricate and what to use. The axle is on the bottom of the cart as apposed to the back like the RR. This seems to be best for purposes of balance, but idk if it will be problematic for the long term functioning of the axle

The RR is slightly taller and I understand that is important to some people. I find the height of the Delta perfectly comfortable and the larger surface area of the seat preferable. Being able to sit on the RR and still access your discs is nice, but I much prefer not having to stoop so far over all the time to access my discs.

Disc capacity is similar overall, but with my RR the internal PVC frame only allowed me to store 14 drivers vertically on the top row. The others had to lay horizontally underneath except the width of the frame is slightly less than a disc width so I sort of had to angle the discs slightly as I put them in which was possible if you just had a couple of discs, but once you add more discs you have less space to angle them requiring you to just force them in by bending them. The Delta was designed for discs and they all fit snugly and perfectly with two movable dividers for organizing.

Storage was another of my complaints with the RR. There are some small compartments in the "door" and the two side pockets. There is also a rather large space behind the internal frame, but because it was not designed to be a disc cart there is no convenient way to access it without removing most of your discs. Aside from discs the two things I need the most space for are liquids and towels. I live in South Florida and I sweat A LOT in the summer. This requires me to drink large volumes of water which I almost immediately sweat out and then wipe away from my face and hands with a towel. I normally carry four to six golf towels depending on the weather. I found the side pockets on the small side and had to divide my towels between the two leaving little space for much else. The side mesh pockets outside the side zippered pockets are actually rather large but if I put much in them they would stick out and rub against the wheels. (Speaking of wheels, the Delta has wheel guards preventing the wheels from slinging mud up at you.) The Delta has ample, well organized, easily accessible storage for my needs and the insulated cooler underneath is a godsend in the South Florida heat.

I also prefer the solid metal box to the soft sided RR.

A lot of this can be chalked up to personal preference, but the bottom line for me is the Delta was designed from the ground up as a disc golf cart. No compromises had to be made because it was adapted from an existing platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJack View Post
I owned the last beta version of the RR. I have never owned a Delta, but Iíve had friends who have them and been around them since they were introduced (I started this thread). I have seen in person the latest version of both carts. I donít have either cart right now, I am definitely getting one of the two (maybe both eventually), and Iím almost certainly going with a production RR.

With that background I can state that neither is clearly superior to the other. One might be better to a particular persons wants, needs, and preferences, and both have their strengths and weaknesses, but anyone who says that one is clearly better than the other as an objective fact is delusional.

Disc access:

The choice here is similar to a Mahal type bag versus a Grip type bag. Do you prefer a top load or front load? Both have their ups and downs, I wonít go over them here as theyíve been discussed ad naseum, but they are virtually the same with these carts. It seems most people prefer front load on backpacks; that may or may not carry over to carts, but neither is clearly better than the other.

One thing I can say about the production version of the RR is that the new bag has a roll up door that when opened allows you to see all the discs in both rows, and to access the discs in the top row, without having to bend over any more than you would with the Delta, and perhaps even less because the RR sits much higher. You can see pics of what Iím referring to here: http://www.ridgeroller.com/photos-and-videos/.

Storage:

Delta vastly improved its system by having the storage pouches zip around the entire bag as opposed to the top access only in the first version. They also added some webbing to the top of the bag for quick access small items, which is also a nice touch. The storage on the flip side of the seat is also more secure and better designed than the original. Appear to still be only a single putter pouch though Ė I was hoping for a double putter pouch in this version (although it might be able to be stretched out to two, I donít know for sure on this).

RR has stretch pouches on either side of the bag, and it has a good sized void behind the lower rack of discs. This void existed in prior two-rack versions of the RR, but it was a pain to access because youíd have to remove the discs from the lower rack. The production bag has a zip access on the side, which is a great improvement.

There isnít a clear winner on storage, this also comes down to preference, but the RR clearly has more storage capacity if thatís important to you.

Wheels:

Here is one area where there is something that Delta is clearly better on, and RR is clearly better on.

The Delta has hubs that are almost flush with the wheel. The RR has a nut on one side and a wing nut on the other that protrude a good inch from the wheel. There have been a few times where I spun the cart around and caught that nut on the outside of my ankle, which tickled a little bit Ė not fun; however it only happened a few times with a lot of use, but if it happened a lot with how a particular person used it, I could see how that could be a major drawback.

The RR wheels have sealed bearings, which allow the wheels to be tightened completely down, eliminating wobble, yet remaining very smooth in glide. The Delta wheels were not sealed in the first version, and Iím fairly certain they are not in the latest version, so while wobble can be minimized, it canít be eliminated, otherwise the wheels wouldnít turn.

Break down:

The RR has a fully collapsible pole and removable wheels. Iím not 100% on the latest version as I didnít get to take it apart, but what I did see was that the Delta has an improved pole removal system, which was a pain in the first version, but I donít think itís fully collapsible, and I donít think the wheels are as easy to remove and did not appear designed that way.

Seat:

The RR sits at 22Ē. Itís deeper than the Delta, but not as wide. It has an optional cushion. The seat is always available. The Delta sits much lower, itís wider, and only usable if the top is flipped up, and requires you to flip it down to then access discs. Delta went to riveting the cushion instead of gluing; it looks and feels great. The flipping isnít a big deal, but it is nice to have constant access, and the ability to select a disc while sitting.

Having sat on both, I think the Delta is a little more comfortable due to the wider seating area, but I prefer the RR overall due to its height. It is easier to get up and down from over the course of a round and more conducive to short rest periods during a round. Especially since there is no flipping needed. As an objectively observed fact by me over many rounds and tournaments, Delta cart guys use their carts to sit much less during the course of an average round than RR guys. This is probably due to the ease of use on the RR. The advantage here is to the RR, but if you donít intend to use the cart as seat that much, then itís a wash.

Another advantage to the RR is that the seat can be used for more storage. There is a large cooler bag (or any bag really) that can be placed on the seat to haul around A LOT of stuff. That isnít an option on the Delta, unless you want to have to remove it every time you want to access your discs.

Durability:

You could argue that the Delta has an edge here since its box is more durable than any bag, but I donít think thatís a persuasive point. The RR bag is 1000D Cordura, very durable fabric. Plus the Delta does have fabric bags too, Iím not sure what the fabric is, and they are mostly protected, but they are subject to wear as well, and need of potential replacement, although they are not as essential to the cart as the bag to the RR is. I give no edge to Delta on frame durability though, the RR frame is aircraft aluminum, and extremely well designed and manufactured. Overall, very slight edge to Delta because the RR design relies on a bag made of fabric, and while its strong fabric, itís still fabric as opposed to the Deltaís box.

Weight:

The Delta greatly reduced the weight on the latest version.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

One of the local pros just picked one up. Looking forward to seeing it in person soon. I really like the idea of the "modular" storage compartments that make keeping things separated much easier. It seems like the Delta has MUCH more storage/pockets than the Ridge Roller. Still slightly concerned with the seat height, how low I have to bend to get discs, and overall size/weight in person.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Eagle Member

Default Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
What questions do you have? I'm not ready to write a review, but I can answer your inquiries as best I can.
Questions for the delta would be:

How tall is it?
How easily does it go in and out of the trunk of a small sedan.
Can you fit a small gatorade in the cooler? Large Gatorade?
How much padding does the seat have?
Any place to hook a carabiner for a towel?

Im sure I can find the answer to all of this if I had time to go all the way through this thread (and I will later).

Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Eagle Member

Default Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrboy View Post
Take your time. Do your research. Read through the thread. Be an informed consumer.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Niced 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcanter2376 View Post
Questions for the delta would be:

How tall is it?
How easily does it go in and out of the trunk of a small sedan.
Can you fit a small gatorade in the cooler? Large Gatorade?
How much padding does the seat have?
Any place to hook a carabiner for a towel?

Im sure I can find the answer to all of this if I had time to go all the way through this thread (and I will later).

Thanks
https://youtu.be/w3tqn9Bq4EA

Here's the link to the promotional video that was recently done

Old 10-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrboy View Post
Read through the thread.. Now I wish Papabearlee's parents used protection.