Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 34 Posts

I follow Tennis. Let me chime in on the Tennis Piece mentioned earlier Men vs Women. Technically women do earn more than men in Tennis. In Grand Slams where most of the money is made men and women make the same. Now you say, how is that more? Well men play best of 5 sets and women best of 3. So they are doing less work and earning the same. It may look like one of the men make more but that has to do with dominance, the womens game there is not as many dominant players. Sure Federer and Rafael Nadal make more in endorsements. But we are not talking strictly Tennis endorsements. Federer has some crazy endorsements, Rolex being one of them and there is no way to control that. For a short period of time in the heyday of womens tennis women were actually making more in endorsements(but not equal at the time in prize winnings) That was in the early Venus Williams, Martina Hingis Era when womens tennis got very popular and they started using their looks in endorsements. Anna Kournikova is worth 50 million dollars and was never ranked higher than 8th. However with the ascendance of the big 4(Nadal, Federer, Murray and Djokovic) The mens game became more popular again and they made more in endorsements. The reason for this is they slowed the game down. In the Pete Sampras era it was super fast points and not as interesting to watch. Anyway that explains the tennis thing....
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 78 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reniger View Post
From my understanding talking to Prodigy pros, it's a certain (low) percentage of each disc. So, yes. They get - depending on the pro's status, and disc's popularity - like $1-$3 from each sale. Still, say Sexton sells about a thousand Sexton Color Glow Firebirds a year, that's still a potential $3,000 increase in salary.

From Innova's website; "(Pro) will receive a substantial portion of every (disc) sold." What they consider "substantial" is up for guess, but the Innova pro I know told me $1-$3 depending on their own popularity and the disc popularity.
I talked to Nate at the vibram he said he gets $5/chicken, and paul gets 25 cents/production destroyer, roc3 etc. The sales of production discs are so much higher than tour series that Paul still comes out way ahead without even counting mcpro discs.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,383 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki the trickster View Post
I verry well could be wrong but i believe Val had to choose the disc or at least okay the disc that her name goes on.
Yes pros have a say in what disc they get. There can be multiple pros with the same mold for Tour Series, but for sig series no overlaps (see Avery -> Paul destroyers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender175 View Post
I talked to Nate at the vibram he said he gets $5/chicken, and paul gets 25 cents/production destroyer, roc3 etc. The sales of production discs are so much higher than tour series that Paul still comes out way ahead without even counting mcpro discs.
This is correct, and pretty standard since Climo's days, from what I've heard as well...though I don't talk to Innova about that sort of stuff directly.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 977 Times in 576 Posts

"and disc's popularity - like $1-$3 from each sale." Considering the distributor-retailer cost/margin, 1-3$ a disc sounds like a very high royalty per disc.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Par Member

Niced 106 Times in 58 Posts

Just saw Paige put up a video (with a really pretty mid throw) for DD yesterday.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
There's also two different groups of buyers: 1) serious (though casual) players that know it's about the disc, not the name on it, and will buy the disc if they want it, and 2) those newbies or weekend/family players that don't know, see a woman's name on the disc and say "ewww, not a woman's disc!".

Most here on DCGR are in the first category; we do not care about the names as much as the discs.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Those "newbies" will create most of the sales. When you add to the equation the gender ratio of 92:8 in favor of men, it is no surprise why McBeth's name sells more discs than Val's.

Meresmaa actually even confirmed that the Valkyrie sales went down after Korver's name was stamped on it.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:15 AM
Eagle Member

Guess what I was trying to say is, that while it sucks for Val, Innova is actually probably over committed to women, not the other way around, considering the monetary value of the market.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 78 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
Guess what I was trying to say is, that while it sucks for Val, Innova is actually probably over committed to women, not the other way around, considering the monetary value of the market.
That's only the current market. When you're the market leader, it's good business to try and expand into new areas. Even if it's less profitable short-term, it has the potential to add new revenue streams down the road.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 154 Times in 101 Posts

A bunch of the Val sig Star Starfires are old PFN stock that has been laying around for years that they add a additional hotstamp too. LOL on how weak of a seller the Starfire is.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender175 View Post
That's only the current market. When you're the market leader, it's good business to try and expand into new areas. Even if it's less profitable short-term, it has the potential to add new revenue streams down the road.
I don't think the question is about building new markets. Even Val said that Innova is doing good job promoting ladies events and "growing the sport".

Her concern was the immediate respect towards current players. So while it might be nice for her to have sig Tern, it would probably hurt the company more short term and not really improve long term.