#11  
Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 AM
_MTL_ _MTL_ is offline
Flippy Flopper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,056
Niced 1,004 Times in 436 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Ratings don’t matter...
Disagree 100%.

Ratings matter for the following reasons:

1. Large pro events have sign ups based on ratings.
2. The pro worlds qualification is rating based.
2A. Even if you say "I'm not a pro" eventually, larger amateur events will have to
follow this model
3. Ratings tell you what division you can't play.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-20-2017, 11:05 AM
Discette's Avatar
Discette Discette is offline
Independent Operator*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rancho Cucamonga
Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 519
Posts: 1,779
Niced 704 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarmour View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I get tired of hearing and reading about the ratings. ...
I don't have anything against Chuck Kennedy or anyone else at the PDGA, but how long are we going to struggle along with a ratings system that only 1 person on the entire planet understands? I believe this is one of the top things holding our sport back.
As much as people want to say players join the PDGA to support our sport, ratings is the real reason players join the PDGA. If they don't understand the ratings or they don't seem fair, then players will stop joining.
Isn't it time to do away with the current system and come up with a system that makes sense and is easy to understand? I don't have the answer and don't like throwing questions out there without giving a suggestion on how to fix it, but this issue just seems ridiculous to me. Rant over...
Sorry you don't understand how the ratings work. However, just because YOU don't understand how the PDGA ratings work, doesn't mean other players don't understand it. Chuck is not the only person on the entire planet that understands ratings. Others here did some "quick" math to prove the ratings generated for you and your friend were not mysterious nor flawed.

Next, I do not share the opinion that ratings are holding our sport back. I think ratings are a nice benefit of PDGA membership. Ratings may be one reason some players join, but certainly not the only (or "REAL") reason for most members to join or renew.


In my opinion, it is not time to do away with the current rating system since it is neither ridiculous nor does it need fixing. Most of the stuff you did not understand was explained pretty easily by others on here. You could have also looked here to get answers: https://www.pdga.com/faq

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-20-2017, 11:08 AM
GMcAtee GMcAtee is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 523
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 314
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts
Default

I prefer my rating to stay low so I can enjoy the young hipsters getting butt hurt when I beat them.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-20-2017, 01:03 PM
GoobyPls's Avatar
GoobyPls GoobyPls is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,428
Niced 751 Times in 364 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcAtee View Post
I prefer my rating to stay low so I can enjoy the young hipsters getting butt hurt when I beat them.
You are Kramer beating up on kids at karate class.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-20-2017, 01:15 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,124
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
You are Kramer beating up on kids at karate class.
More like the Yankees pitcher from Major League who threw at his own kid in a father-son game...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-20-2017, 02:15 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 314
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,893
Niced 2,279 Times in 1,126 Posts
Default

FTFY...
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
The only ratings that matter are those from 0.0 - 5.0
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-20-2017, 06:49 PM
GMcAtee GMcAtee is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 523
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 314
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts
Default

I get to play against people my age or older now. So now the kids won't get their potential sponsorships ruined.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-20-2017, 07:35 PM
jeverett's Avatar
jeverett jeverett is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene, OR
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,201
Niced 48 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Hi Blarmour,

Bnbanbury nicely explaining how the actual calculation works, but if it helps any what you're referring to is a phenomenon of rating systems called rating lag. Basically, as players "get better", their rating improves.. but how responsive is the rating system to player improvement? In all rating systems, a player's existing rating has a certain amount of 'weight', which helps determine how much new (different) data/rounds should affect their rating. The PDGA system does this by including (nearly-equally) potentially up to two years' worth of round data in your current player rating.

Switching over to my game design hat briefly, interestingly players actually often don't like 'true' rating systems, as opposed to 'progression' systems. As humans, we like the feeling of accomplishment/improvement.. we like being able to see our rating go up. In 'true' rating systems, however, as the amount of data/rounds increases, the weight of a players' existing rating gets stronger and stronger, until eventually (theoretically) their rating doesn't change at all anymore (barring things like injury/aging): all reasonable new data just confirms the player is performing "as expected" for their rating in the rating system. In progression systems, by contrast, there is much less of an upper limit on how much a player can improve their rating. Many video game rating systems, for example, look much more like progression systems than rating systems.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Nubes's Avatar
Nubes Nubes is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Union,KY
Posts: 204
Niced 87 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Disagree 100%.

Ratings matter for the following reasons:

1. Large pro events have sign ups based on ratings.
2. The pro worlds qualification is rating based.
2A. Even if you say "I'm not a pro" eventually, larger amateur events will have to
follow this model
3. Ratings tell you what division you can't play.
I could see this being a huge factor. Ive never played in a disc golf tournament but grew up playing this sport and got back into it big time recently. I want to play tournaments this summer and possibly join a league? I raced bicycles on and off for over half my life and have seen my fair share of sandbaggers and have even been accused of it myself! lol You would get guys who should have been racing Pro/Expert for mtn bike or a Cat 1/2 roadie, racing with the cat 3 guys because they weren't as fit as they should have been or just didn't feel like finishing mid pack or toward the back of the pack that day?? Doping is the biggest problem at the top level of pro cycling but for guys like me who had a day job, the sandbagger may be your biggest threat come race day? If you don't have a way to measure a persons performance level or what they are capable of then you will always have the occasional sandbaggers dropping down a class to win.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 12-20-2017, 08:36 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,983
Niced 1,734 Times in 756 Posts
Default

Wow....nice rant.

Just because YOU don't understand the ratings system, certainly does not mean we should scrap it for the rest of us who do. I play advanced, so rating don't really mean anything to me, but they are a nice tournament tool. If you don't understand something, try researching the issue and learn about it. Heck, you are lucky here, all you really had to do was ask. Or better yet, search for the couple existing threads on the topic.

I am curious though....what are rating "holding our sport back" from?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New DG'er continues to improve Curtis_Valk General Disc Golf Chat 12 03-10-2013 11:53 AM
How did your official ratings change from your 'unofficial' ratings? freezermink General Disc Golf Chat 19 02-18-2013 04:32 PM
Curse of the Orange Shorts Continues Tiny General Disc Golf Chat 13 02-08-2013 08:51 AM
Gems #2 The Cleaning Continues cali The Marketplace 9 09-22-2012 02:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.