Old 05-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
No to Harp AND Rhyno. With my mids the harp lines are covered. A Gator would be useful in extreme wind (but so is a freshy TB) idk just a thought. Rhyno definitely stays.
Cool beans. We are obviously committed to disc golf diversity.

I was thinking about letting my Banshee cover my Hornet shots, but I'm not sure about powering down a touchy shot with wind as a factor. Range time needed...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 142 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRB View Post
Rocs and Harps and Wizards cover all midrange and putter duties.
Currently practicing this philosophy. It is going swimmingly.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 709 Times in 403 Posts

To each their own. I currently bag a Drone and Firebird (used to be Banshee for years and years) yet no OS putter...just a premium and baseline Clutch. Without hesitation I knew/know which to use and when.

Zone, Breaker, Rhyno, you name it (except a Harp or Justice) - I've tried them all. Just mesh better with the Drone or a neutral to slightly overstable putter.

Power level, form, and types of courses played (terrain, elevation, distance, etc) are very relevant to answering this question. Someone on a flat plain and someone at 5000' above sea level in the forest aren't going to play the same game.

Basically, even after listening to everyone on this forum you're still going to have to decide for yourself.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 906 Times in 400 Posts

I personally don't see the need for a truly OS mid in my bag. It doesn't get any more OS than a fresh KC Roc, which is slightly OS in my book, not meathook OS.

For the super dumpy, wind-fighting, nasty OS duties, I don't have any distance gap between my Zone and a fresh Eagle X/Banshee/FTFB.

It's an admitted gap in my bag, but part of the reason I don't mind that is because I'm comfortable powering down on the fairway utility drivers.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,149 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
To each their own.

*snip

Basically, even after listening to everyone on this forum you're still going to have to decide for yourself.
Couldn't agree with this more, really.

I've tried lots of discs in these slots over the years (zone, harp, mortar, gator, demon) They have all been good discs, but when I rely on forehand approaches too much - and I do when I carry a very overstable mid or putter - I lose touch on my finesse shots.

These days, a nice overstable wasp is really all I need. If I need more than that it's a predator. If I need less I use a comet. Less decisions, the onus is on me to make the shot.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Cool beans. We are obviously committed to disc golf diversity.

I was thinking about letting my Banshee cover my Hornet shots, but I'm not sure about powering down a touchy shot with wind as a factor. Range time needed...
I power down a felon and a freshy teebird a lot.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

I used to bag a Drone along with a Zone, but currently have just the Zone. I have a Firebird too. I miss the Drone every one or two rounds, but I can get away with something else. It's just not worth taking room in my bag for those occasions. However, I'd say it's not the Zone but my Big Z Buzzz, Teebird, or Firebird that get thrown where the Drone used to get the nod.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Par Member

Niced 39 Times in 34 Posts

I used to really like harps. Then I found the mortar. What I found was I could throw it for every overstable line I need inside 275. After that I disc up to a super beefy pinlaw for skips and farther out shots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts

So I finaly got around to testing out all the contenders for FH chip shot in my bag. They included:

175g 6/10 DX Ontario Rhyno
175g Glow Champ CFR (flatish) Rhyno
175g Opto Caltrop
175g BT Hard Harp
175g Protostar AviarX3
173g Jawbreaker Zone
174g ESP Zone
175g 1.5 Recon Mortar (very flat, pearly champ-like plastic, microbeaded)

The shot I'm looking for is a <200' forehand hyzer approach. I tested each of the above on probably 10-20 of these shots over the course of a few days, along with some short forehand flex approaches to really test out low speed overstability. I also tossed them all on short backhand skip lines to see how much each of them would be willing to skip forward off target/roll vs hit and stick.

Let me first say, that aside from different hand feel and slight differences in release consistency, each of these (except for the DX rhino) fly remarkably similar at these types of distances (surprise!...?) Unless otherwise mentioned, each of these handled a simple hyzer, could gobble up a little OAT here and there and would nestle up to the basket with very little ground play. Each of these were also able to fight out of whatever flex line I put them on given enough height.

I was not getting consistent releases with the DX rhyno and combined with the reduced stability thanks to wear, it was turning over. First one to be cut.

The CFR Rhyno held up much better - it could be that I tested that DX rhyno the first day and the CFR on the third, and my form had improved. This is likely the case to some degree, but one way or another I got zero ugly OAT with the CFR. Flat top and stiff I think is the way to go when attempting to FH rhynos. Solid 2/2/0/2.5

The caltrop as I mentioned before was quite impressive, and held up to my not terrible but not stellar short flick form better than expected. Of all the discs I tried, this one was most prone to flutter, but had the stability to avoid flipping. A taller, unbeaded rhyno from trilogy. Note that this along with the rhyno skipped least, which is saying something for opto/champ. 1.5/2/0/2

The Harp was a lot more overstable than I expected - it fights out of a flex earlier than a Zone I think, if not a little less quickly. The availability of this one in baseline is nice as I imagine they beat into stable flyers. Not the comfiest to flick, but not the worst. 3/2/+1/3

The AviarX3 is taller and deeper dish than I expected - same height as the Caltrop, actually, with a similar profile. I'm not sure about the production run but the protostars are a somewhat gummy but slick type of Star with a puddle top. People have described these as less beefy than Zones and Harps, which is likely more clear the faster or sloppier you throw them. This was not an issue for me, as this was coming out quite smoothly. Not the least skip, not the most. 2.5/2/0/2.5

The zones, ah yes, the zones. Similar profile to many popular OS putters and mids (or vice versa) but very short and shallow. I would say for any BH dominant player looking for a pocket get-out-trouble forehand to use once a round, start with a Zone - FH feels awkward at first, but the Zone makes it less so. Most noteworthy here is that the ESP Zone skips a little more than any of the field, and that both variants stay straight a little longer on a flex shot before a hard fade allowed them to land on a hyzer angle. 3/2.5/0/3

The most interesting things about the Mortar - A. it flew pretty much the same as the rest of these on this type of shot, B. it skipped a lot less than I expected and C. the profile is super duper comfy. Distance potential is likely a little greater with this one as opposed to the tweeners, and it's possible that the wider rim would cut through a headwind more effectively. 4/3/0/3

I would happily bag any of these, although I'll say the caltrop and rhyno may overlap with a stable driving putter, and faster discs of the bunch may overlap with say, a Verdict, but less so with a roc of some kind.

I would also like to try a Justice or any other extremely overstable variant of gator or drone, etc. I could see potentially pairing a worn jawbreaker Zone with one of these and have slightly different shots covered, but I bag a FAF firebird for immediate FH flexes and silly things like that.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by Alexplz; 05-08-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Your form improved enough in two days for that to be what kept the premium Rhyno from turning over? I think it was probably just the added stabilitt of the champ plastic and maybe your form was more on point that day.