Old 12-05-2018, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarwig View Post
if they went through all that trouble to establish themselves as a manufacturer,they could have put some marketing budget money aside and come up with something creative and easy to remember for people interested in their brand.

Maybe their next product line can be in binary or morse code...
They should just go with braille printed into the disc. You can just reach into your bag and know what you're grabbing, after as much learning curve as the current system.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 349 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Going to the number system for Discmania was an improvement, though. That scandinavian death metal theme Jussi wanted to go with, was at best, ironically cool.
Actually you've got it backwards. Jussi wanted clean cut look. Simple naming system, straightforward stamps, clean design.

Dave Dunipace didn't believe a P2 or a PD or an FD would sell, but a Psycho and a Freak would. So Dave created the theme around "Mania" with Psycho, Maniac, Frenzy, Freak, Chaos, Jackal...

Jussi is now established and a few years ago moved all the stamps back to the clean cut look.

Interestingly... they've also established "throwback" stamps that will unexpectedly drop over the coming years and we'll all go crazy for em.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,350 Times in 1,817 Posts

Discmania's naming scheme is also vague enough to allow for mold variances...whereas Prodigy's just make them look sloppy when you get an F7 that's more OS than a F2 or whatever.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,072 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga54 View Post
Actually you've got it backwards. Jussi wanted clean cut look. Simple naming system, straightforward stamps, clean design.

Dave Dunipace didn't believe a P2 or a PD or an FD would sell, but a Psycho and a Freak would. So Dave created the theme around "Mania" with Psycho, Maniac, Frenzy, Freak, Chaos, Jackal...

Jussi is now established and a few years ago moved all the stamps back to the clean cut look.

Interestingly... they've also established "throwback" stamps that will unexpectedly drop over the coming years and we'll all go crazy for em.
Ah, you're right. I just re-read that interview.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 706 Times in 381 Posts

If you look at it, the theme was obviously "mental disorders" or some such. Kinda like DD has the legal system thingy. I am glad Discmania moved away from it, although sometimes I like to think what a PDX f.ex. would be had they continued it. I think Chaos(PD2) and Jackal(FD) were the last ones, and they were already away from the lunacy theme.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
I have always wondered how much Ricky doesn't like doing social media vs. he is horrible at it. Of course he would get better if he did it more, but he may just hate doing it. He seems very introverted to me. I have a buddy that talks a lot and naturally with friends, but is incredibly socially awkward with people he does not know and does not go anywhere near social media.

Ricky is not one of my favorite players because of this, although I certainly don't dislike him in any way. But I definitely enjoyed watching disc golf in previous years when he and McBeth had more head to head battles. Disc golf is more fun to watch when the McBeast has someone consistently going back and forth with him.
Ricky posts on social media a lot. His insta stories are pretty hilarious usually. Nikko freestyling for example. Even my wife watches his stories.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,983 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcastillo17 View Post
I guess disc golf is the only sport that needs to name their equipment after animals or mythical monsters in order to be cool enough for people to buy them. Take ball golf for example, standard clubs, 3-9 iron ect, but the club names read like a model number. Taylor Made's new irons arent the "Taylor Made King Kong Irons" They are Taylor Made P760. Their model number can be compared to the plastic type of our discs, and the type of club is standard. Pretty simple IMO. Maybe not as "cool" or "creative" but its clean, simple, and professional.
Callaway had the Big Bertha. And now their runs are "Epic" & "Rogue". So... kinda?

Old 12-05-2018, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,384 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcastillo17 View Post
I guess disc golf is the only sport that needs to name their equipment after animals or mythical monsters in order to be cool enough for people to buy them. Take ball golf for example, standard clubs, 3-9 iron ect, but the club names read like a model number. Taylor Made's new irons arent the "Taylor Made King Kong Irons" They are Taylor Made P760. Their model number can be compared to the plastic type of our discs, and the type of club is standard. Pretty simple IMO. Maybe not as "cool" or "creative" but its clean, simple, and professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
Callaway had the Big Bertha. And now their runs are "Epic" & "Rogue". So... kinda?
Epic, Rogue, Big Bertha, Great Big Bertha, X, X2, X2Hot...that's just Callaway

Golf equipment sales aren't the best model to follow. TaylorMade especially is the company that many feel is responsible for the major decline.

...and also Taylormade has been bought and sold multiple times in the past few years (not in a good way), so they're not exactly a shining beacon of success right now.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,812 Times in 740 Posts

My bet: Ricky to MVP

Old 12-05-2018, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,167 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
My bet: Ricky to MVP
I have been wondering this as well. MVP likes keeping their deals quite. Matt Dollar and Elain King both came out of the blue.

If it was not for some on here claiming to have insider info saying he was going to Innova, I would think this more.

Should MVP do this, Michigan would become the defacto Disc Golf capital.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 12-05-2018 at 04:24 PM.