Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer to play/watch most?
Disc golf courses; wooded, natural object 94 93.07%
Ball golf courses; long, open fairways 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,715 Times in 842 Posts

Separate thoughts:

As is the case with most of life's important questions, the correct answer is not “Either/”Or” but “Both, Between, and Beyond”.

It takes surprisingly few trees to shape disc golf shots. Look at the most heavily wooded hole you can find – just a few trees will have most of the marks from being hit by discs. If you took out all the other trees, that hole would play almost the same, while providing good visibility. The effect can be replicated by the few trees that you find at the edges of the fairways on ball golf courses.

I don’t want all courses to have maximum variety. If you sample every dish at the buffet every time you visit, you always have the same meal. We need some courses that are completely open, fully wooded, perfectly flat, and totally hilly. For the sake of, you know, variety.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 574 Times in 302 Posts

The future of disc golf viewership depends on open fairways. Disc golf hole design needs to be large open fairways with a couple tight windows to hit or sweeping doglegs. Steve has the right idea with less total trees but the same impactful trees.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Folks, I'm sorry, but I don't get this whole "ball golf courses are the future of disc golf" crap. .
Sometimes it seems like this has been going on since disc golf first had a future. Reese Swinea (?) (Fly18) was promoting it ages ago.

I get the feeling there's a bit of Golf Envy involved. Golf has beautiful manicured land and wonderful amenities and, dare I say it, TV, and some folks think how great it would be if disc golf had all of those things, too. The next leap of logic is, Whatever works for golf, will work for disc golf too!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,538 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
The future of disc golf viewership depends on open fairways. Disc golf hole design needs to be large open fairways with a couple tight windows to hit or sweeping doglegs. Steve has the right idea with less total trees but the same impactful trees.
Assuming, of course, that disc golf viewership has any future, at all.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 574 Times in 302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Assuming, of course, that disc golf viewership has any future, at all.
Assuming
Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 147 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate22 View Post
Love the discussion!

As an owner of a mixed but mainly tight wooded course, I am loving this revolt against these open boring courses.

I am also really against obs especially bloody ropes...we have fences that are ob as its a property line or a fence leading to animals/higher traffic areas...but have no actual ob lines. My philosophy is punish bad shots, not penalize.

Id much rather try and fight my way to save a shot after a bad tee, then be told my disc went a meter over an imaginary line so I get a penalty stroke and play from where it crossed that line.

Disc Golf to me is those moments where you are forced to stretch around a tree, barely room emough to just snap your wrist, but land it perfectly under the basket to save par...boo yah!
Agreed 100%. I like a mix of open/tight, long/short, up/down, etc. but if I could only pick one type of course it would be wooded, park, forest, whatever, not gorgeous, manicured, ball golf (if I wanted that I would still be playing that).

As someone who doesn't really keep up with the pros or even care, I don't really care about viewership, making the sport more tv-friendly, etc. It's a sport I like to play, not watch. That being said, if I were to watch it, I would want to see great lines through tight spaces over 500 foot bombs to an open basket.

P.S. Completely agree about the o.b. My feeling is that if I put myself in a bad spot, then my next shot is the punishment. I should have to come up with something unorthodox to save the hole, not get called o.b. Kind of my feeling on mandos, too. Set the course up the way you want and let me play it the way I want.

Last edited by Pymm; 06-15-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

Sounds like there's more than one type of disc golf. Compare it to fishing, there are multiple ways to catch fish: rod & reel, net, noodling, dynamite. Each has its proponents.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 56
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
I'd rather play a wooded course, but the best courses, to me, include a bit of both. Grand Central, my home course up in Clemson (no, I don't count Y Beach or MtnView as my home course), does a good job of combining both. Some holes (#6 for the most part, #10) are basically wide open, while #12 is pretty much cut from the woods. A lot of the others either play in and out of the woods or use many trees to define gaps. Ball golf courses, to me, are too wide open to really be a great disc golf course. Except for the Japan Open courses, that is.
Totally agree with you and I love that course as well. Definitely my favorite in the area.

Too many tournaments are held on ball golf courses and are sooooo boring to watch. Long bomb after long bomb is dumb and bad for the sport. The only thing they do to make those courses difficult is make the pars smaller and put OB EVERYWHERE. It's dumb to hear the commentators: "The green is OB, behind that line of trees is OB, cart path is OB, the bunker is OB, the creek off to the left is OB..." all for the same hole. What a severe lack of imagination. It's an embarrassing to see that this sport has come to think that 500ft par 3's are okay and wide open holes full of OB is okay for tournament play.

A great course to me:

All par 3's are ace-able (doesn't mean they should be easy), anything over 350 on a flat hole is pushing it and it starts to become a middle ground hole. Not short enough for a true 3 and not nearly long enough for a 4.

All greens have some obstacles and good use of terrain and elevation to make them challenging. Not just surrounded with OB.

Par 4's and 5's have fairly obvious safe landing zones and riskier routes for someone with more distance to take advantage of. Placement shots are a fun way to make a shorter hole into a 4 or 5.

I compare disc golf to ball golf a lot. Even if you drive a short 275 yards in ball golf, you still have a good chance at birdies on every hole on the course. Because ball golf has figured out a way to make the game a challenge for everyone but still keep the holes distances within reach for even newer players. Disc golf has that same potential with the use of terrain, trees, bushes, creeks, ponds etc. It's disappointing to see these big time pro tournaments played on wide open courses where the only real challenge is the distance and avoiding the OB.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 245 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Neither. I prefer variety---fairly open holes with some obstacles and/or O.B., and wooded holes, all on the same course.
This would have been my vote, had it been an option

Old 06-29-2016, 02:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 245 Times in 128 Posts

There's a nine-hole ball golf course (Emerald Lakes GC in Elk Grove, CA) I drive by on my way home from work (and have played dozens of times). Every time I drive by, I think it could be converted to a fantastic disc golf course (probably would need to plant some trees in the driving range to get the last few holes to make a full 18) and start imagining where the chains and teepads would go. Maybe when I hit the lotto, I'll buy it and make my dream DG course.