Old 06-20-2017, 11:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,717 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Actually, benefit of the doubt, which I heard first when I was seven in 1967, is a fallacy. There is no benefit of the doubt. The umpire makes the call and he is correct 100% of the time. That's how they train referees. This isn't the same, but the call is the same. The majority of the card makes the call. If there is no consensus, the player essentially makes the call, iirc. No benefit, just a majority call. In the event there is doubt, the official on the course makes the call. At no time is there the call, "well, we don't really know so we'll give it to the player."
Guess I've been doing it wrong for over 20 years of competitive play.

Every tournament, every weekly doubles, we've played it " Benefit of the doubt goes to the player "
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Guess I've been doing it wrong for over 20 years of competitive play.

Every tournament, every weekly doubles, we've played it " Benefit of the doubt goes to the player "

Show me the written rule and I'll be a confirmed believer. I played Sandlot ball by the same rule. Worked there, but it isn't in the baseball rulebook.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:52 AM

Years Playing: 23.5
Niced 41 Times in 12 Posts

Lyle, check 805.1A

Old 06-21-2017, 12:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,596 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Show me the written rule and I'll be a confirmed believer. I played Sandlot ball by the same rule. Worked there, but it isn't in the baseball rulebook.
I was definitely trained as an umpire to make the call. Every call has a correct call and stick to it. The call you make is the correct call. There is no such thing as a tie. Plus what benefits the runner does not benefit the fielder (the runner likely just hit a crappy ground ball, that the fielder then had to get into position, catch, transition, and throw cleanly...so what is one player's benefit sucks for the other guy who actually made a better play). Drives me nuts when people say "tie goes to the runner". No it doesn't and there aren't ties.

The first time I heard someone say the "blades or grass" thing in a round after I started getting more into playing more tag/real rounds, I thought they were making crap up. Turns out that's actually how it works at the "pro level" of this sport. I thought it was a joke then and I think it's a joke now.

Edit: ^Saw that link just now. Fine for local/whatever rounds but it's pretty crazy that that's how it works for actual tournaments.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 345 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Something tells me Cat would be all smiles while kicking the asses of the majority of people in this thread.
Still doubt it.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Olde Am View Post
Lyle, check 805.1A

See, as I've said before, I learn new things here all the time. Thanks Ye Old,

However, there's a reason why most sports don't do the benefit of the doubt thing. It leads to long term arguments about certainty. I'm willing to bet this wording came about from the casual growth of disc golf. It's like the honor code in Ultimate. That's given way to referees because while it works in a casual setting, in more competitive settings it doesnt. Eventually, you're going to have an argument. Someone is going to say something like Catrina said and the other side isn't going to take it well. In a passive fashion, she accused her card of ganging up on her. If a marshall makes the call, and it's absolute, there's no room for argument. And yes, I know, we're not there yet.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 144 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
The only thing with Westside is they don't seem to have any sort of team. I mean, even a small promotional team. All you hear is DD and L64, but never Westside except for their discs. I mean, I agree with you, but considering how they haven't added any even moderate names, let alone a big name, since Barsby left (I heard he was sponsored by Westside before Diety Discs, dunno if that's true), so I just don't see them as someone who would pick a name up.

Although, adding one of the top two or three women in the game would certainly be one way to start your sponsored team.

Like I said, seeing as they have no team to speak of, at least as far as big names on feature cards, so adding her to kick start a new team might be a good boost for sponsor and sponsee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 416 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Not me. Val or Des can kick my butt. Both smile a lot, are very friendly and rock the discs.
Imagine "smile a lot" being a determining factor for which dude you want to play a round with.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorseymatt View Post
Imagine "smile a lot" being a determining factor for which dude you want to play a round with.
I don't know about you, but yeah. That would be for me. Pleasant demeanor, and smiles a good bit matters to me. Male or female. Call me silly that way. BTW, each is a determined player too, but that matters less to me. Same goes for men on my cards.

It's why Barsby is one of my favorite Pro players. Simon is up there too. Nate is my favorite. He jokes, laughs and is serious at times. But i define his demeanor by his pleasant nature.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 144 Times in 94 Posts
Default Catrina Allen Prediction Thread

It's not about "smiles a lot". I mean there are plenty of dudes I'd totally love to play with who don't smile a lot. How often does McBeth smile when he's in the zone? Who really does? When people are on camera we see about .00001% of who they are. So regardless of what you see on camera doesn't take away she is a killer golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (2)