#1  
Old 10-02-2017, 03:26 AM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,153
Niced 705 Times in 551 Posts
Default Does ESP FLX plastic suck?

OK. Over the years I've tried a few different FLX drivers, mainly Surges. Never been a fan of the plastic. Its super gummy and tends to not fly very well.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I found a FLX Nuke SS in some thick weeds. OK, sounds intriguing. A Nuke SS that might be a hair more stable than a Z Nuke SS...
Nope. MASSIVELY overstable. The thing flies like a Flick. Zero glide and no distance to speak of. It flies like a dinner plate. Probably the crappiest representation of a mold I've ever seen in a disc.

The plastic blows. None of the FLX discs I've ever thrown have flown as advertised. They don't glide and are overstable as hell.

Anyone else feel the same?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 AM
swhite swhite is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: central Mass
Posts: 953
Niced 834 Times in 401 Posts
Default

I think the FLX Nuke SS that you found in the weeds may be in Z FLX plastic rather than ESP FLX. Yes, the Z FLX discs that I have handled were gummy and more flexible than what I like. Never thrown a Z FLX Nuke SS myself. Perhaps the one you found is a mutant along the lines of the 2015(?) FLX Ledgestone Trackers that were infamous for their overstability. Or, maybe it says Nuke OS? The Nuke OS should behave like a Flick.

Answering your post question of whether the ESP FLX plastic sucks; it has been discontinued, so apparently it wasn't selling well enough. When I was throwing Buzzzes, I bagged a white 177g ESP FLX that started out straight, and over the course of a year, beat in to a reliable turnover midrange shot. It was a good disc, but I am trying Comets right now, so they have that spot.

Last edited by swhite; 10-02-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2017, 05:40 AM
kuubik kuubik is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 93
Niced 14 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I have thrown z flx Surge that was a lot more OS than its Z counterpart. Then I threw a z flx Undertaker and it was really understable (only 168g, but still not even close to Z's flight). I'm not a fan.. The only z flx I would buy is a zone or buzzz OS.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 AM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,475
Niced 902 Times in 400 Posts
Default

Not sure that FLX plastics are objectively bad, but they're certainly not for everyone. Like so many things in disc golf, it comes down to personal preference and what works for you.

I've thrown CryZtal FLX Zones and had some success with them. They were mega OS, but since they're Zones I'm not sure if that can be blamed entirely on the plastic. Also, mega OS is what I was looking for to place shorter approach shots. And I'm generally comfortable throwing more flexible discs for putters & mids. (However, I did switch to Jawbreaker Zones because they have so much better grip. If they made a Jawbreaker FLX Zone, I would almost certainly buy one.)

Haven't personally thrown ESP FLX, but a friend bags 3 Challengers in that material that handle all of his putt & approach throws. He has great touch throwing those things FH, BH, grenade...pretty much everything. I've held them and my thoughts on the material are that most opaque blends that flexible have a lot more grip. For example, recent JK Pro Aviars are similarly soft, but are also much grippier. I don't get the impression that those ESP FLX Challengers are crazy OS, but he does have a cycle from somewhat new to super duper beat in.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2017, 12:50 PM
F. Howl's Avatar
F. Howl F. Howl is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,894
Niced 1,071 Times in 595 Posts
Default

I hate it for higher speed discs, but in blunt rimmed throwing putters and mids it doesn't feel floppy. Z FLX is my preferred plastic for my non skipping Zones and during fall and winter I bag a Glo FLX BuzzzOS. The plastic is nearly indestructible and skips and crazy tree kicks are rare.

Otherwise I think this blend might have been intended just to make a wintertime bag. Any super flexible plastic (FLX, Frost, Gstar) seem to result in the most inconsistent runs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,117
Niced 4,368 Times in 2,305 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I hate it for higher speed discs, but in blunt rimmed throwing putters and mids it doesn't feel floppy. Z FLX is my preferred plastic for my non skipping Zones and during fall and winter I bag a Glo FLX BuzzzOS. The plastic is nearly indestructible and skips and crazy tree kicks are rare.

Otherwise I think this blend might have been intended just to make a wintertime bag. Any super flexible plastic (FLX, Frost, Gstar) seem to result in the most inconsistent runs.
Yea I would think the softer the plastic, the harder it would be to keep the wider rimmed discs from deforming when cooling.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 PM
F. Howl's Avatar
F. Howl F. Howl is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,894
Niced 1,071 Times in 595 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Yea I would think the softer the plastic, the harder it would be to keep the wider rimmed discs from deforming when cooling.
I'm not looking to bag any floppy discs, but seeing your sig, just out of curiosity, do Plasma discs have a stiff overmold with just the flight plate being flexible?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-02-2017, 02:12 PM
brutalbrutus's Avatar
brutalbrutus brutalbrutus is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the nati
Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,117
Niced 4,368 Times in 2,305 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I'm not looking to bag any floppy discs, but seeing your sig, just out of curiosity, do Plasma discs have a stiff overmold with just the flight plate being flexible?
The rim might be a touch more flexible but I don't think its really all that noticeable. At least, not the one I have.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Twmccoy Twmccoy is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,153
Niced 705 Times in 551 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
I think the FLX Nuke SS that you found in the weeds may be in Z FLX plastic rather than ESP FLX. Yes, the Z FLX discs that I have handled were gummy and more flexible than what I like. Never thrown a Z FLX Nuke SS myself. Perhaps the one you found is a mutant along the lines of the 2015(?) FLX Ledgestone Trackers that were infamous for their overstability. Or, maybe it says Nuke OS? The Nuke OS should behave like a Flick.

Answering your post question of whether the ESP FLX plastic sucks; it has been discontinued, so apparently it wasn't selling well enough. When I was throwing Buzzzes, I bagged a white 177g ESP FLX that started out straight, and over the course of a year, beat in to a reliable turnover midrange shot. It was a good disc, but I am trying Comets right now, so they have that spot.
The disc in question is definitely ESP FLX. I have also thrown a Z FLX Nuke and it flew much the same. Ridiculously overstable and glideless. I have zero clue what's up with it, but its about as far from the advertised flight characteristics as a disc can get.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:00 PM
ThrowBot's Avatar
ThrowBot ThrowBot is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,475
Niced 902 Times in 400 Posts
Default

That's interesting. I typically go stiffer blends for my drivers anyway, but some mold minimalists might be interested to know that ESP FLX can mold up as freakishly overstable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discraft Zone: Cryztal FLX Z or ESP FLX bigdan The Marketplace 4 09-06-2013 02:36 AM
DISCRAFT: LE FLX Drone, ESP Surge, ESP Buzzz...cheap!! pablo.diablo The Marketplace 8 09-29-2011 02:46 PM
wanted:esp zone.flx drone.esp comet.z xtreme olemiss5931 The Marketplace 10 09-08-2011 10:14 PM
ESP FLX Plastic KNole Discs 13 04-14-2011 01:50 AM
Brand New ESP/FLX, GLO, Z Plastic KAK3990 The Marketplace 14 08-04-2010 12:28 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.