Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 787 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
At Eureka, I wouldn't think he really takes all that much more time than the average player but at Northwoods, I can imagine him taking 3x the amount of time hacking his way thru those woods looking for errant shots.

I guess it really comes down to is how is he bad? Does he just throw 150ft noob hyzers? Or does he throw 250-300ft but has no control over where its going?...
Or is he really really bad at Putting? Like getting a 4+ on every single putt attempt.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,825 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
You are incorrect on why the USGA and PGA have qualifying standards. It has nothing to do with money/field size and everything to do with protecting the players. here's a good piece on US Open qualifying bans. https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/pa...pen-qualifying
That may be the story they give now, but that column is hardly proof that that was the original reason they instituted the qualifying bans 100 years ago or whenever it was. Unless you can produce something that proves the rationale you're arguing was indeed the primary reason they set up the qualifying criteria, I'm not buying it.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 978 Times in 375 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

re: Volunteering touring pros:

There was a tournament where McBeth had to do some course work the day before and people went nuts over that. Poor Paul got his hands dirty.

Another tournament when the winner stayed to help with course clean up and there was an article about it on some disc golf publication. People were saying how great this was and should happen more often.

Now in this thread I'm being told they all do it. What an amazing turn around.

Did I pull all of that out of my ass also?

btw, giving a clinic is nothing compared to 3-12 months of work preparing to run or help out on a tournament while getting nothing in return.

If the touring pros are doing a lot of volunteer work why aren't we seeing or hearing about it more? I would think that's something you want others to know because of, well you know, grow the sport and all.

I waited so long to reply to this because I was working, yanno, at my job. Some people on this board need to try that sometime.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 39 Times in 19 Posts

I've seen a number of references to ball golf's US Open and the USGA's qualifying standard. The handicap index of 1.4 or less only applies to amateurs. Any professional can enter. So, if people are using the USGA's example to support the PDGA's decision, their issue should be how a player of Lloyd's caliber is allowed to be registered as a professional.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 132
Niced 602 Times in 285 Posts

"hE gAvE uS mOaR mOnEy." - PDGA

Niced: (2)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,572 Times in 931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
re: Volunteering touring pros:

There was a tournament where McBeth had to do some course work the day before and people went nuts over that. Poor Paul got his hands dirty.

Another tournament when the winner stayed to help with course clean up and there was an article about it on some disc golf publication. People were saying how great this was and should happen more often.

Now in this thread I'm being told they all do it. What an amazing turn around.

Did I pull all of that out of my ass also?

btw, giving a clinic is nothing compared to 3-12 months of work preparing to run or help out on a tournament while getting nothing in return.

If the touring pros are doing a lot of volunteer work why aren't we seeing or hearing about it more? I would think that's something you want others to know because of, well you know, grow the sport and all.

I waited so long to reply to this because I was working, yanno, at my job. Some people on this board need to try that sometime.
I mean you get into the give and take thing.

For me I've TD'ed tourneys and ran leagues, found sponsors and donated prizes, showed up on work days and cleared courses, designed temp courses and showed up before the sun was up to set out baskets, run a kids program to teach disc golf...I given a lot. I really haven't received much in the way of anything tangible in return, so I get to be in the "giver" category.

Now a touring pro had to practice more, focus on their own success to play better, and their hope is to win prize money and take that resource out of the game and put it in their pocket. By the very definition of what they do, they are in the "taker" category.

I don't think you can ever get around that. Paul McBeth can't volunteer for enough work days to even out what he has "taken" from the sport if that is how you are defining it.

In an alternate view, Paul McBeth does more for the sport by being Paul McBeth than a whole army of small-time local volunteers like I have been could do. He gets youtube views, he gets on ESPN, he drives disc sales...just by the act of being him he promotes the sport in ways a small-time local volunteer can't.

Plus I've done what I've done knowing I wasn't getting anything tangible in return and that was never the goal. It doesn't really matter how much I've volunteered to the game, I decided to do that. Other people have decided to do more, and I respect those people, but I don't own them anything. Just like someone who has volunteered less than me doesn't owe me anything.

So touring pros take resources out of the sport that others put into the sport. That's the deal. That's what having touring pros is. The people putting those resources in are OK with that or they wouldn't do it. It's the deal we make.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,368 Times in 2,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttlikeablowfly View Post
I've seen a number of references to ball golf's US Open and the USGA's qualifying standard. The handicap index of 1.4 or less only applies to amateurs. Any professional can enter. So, if people are using the USGA's example to support the PDGA's decision, their issue should be how a player of Lloyd's caliber is allowed to be registered as a professional.
He would still have to go thru local, sectional and regional qualifiers... I think the mention of the handicap standard is because Weema is worse than a lot of AMs and is only a "pro" because he paid an extra $25 to be one...

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 PM

I think this 900 rating rule is a step like the two top tier tours are like the top tour in other sports and competitions, even Corn Hole that have a way to qualify for the top tour. You need to qualify to get in to play, this just makes it so the low cash guy is 900 to about 935-950 for these 25-26 events. There are other top events that all Pro players can play that are run almost as well as a NT event with some like the Minnesota Majestic being a former event on the NT. PT events are of a different level and as of up to this year have some side things with the tour like the disc vendor/disc trade booth that travels with the PT.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 10-17-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
"hE gAvE uS mOaR mOnEy." - PDGA
EESOROE or HGVUMAMNY

Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 39 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
He would still have to go thru local, sectional and regional qualifiers... I think the mention of the handicap standard is because Weema is worse than a lot of AMs and is only a "pro" because he paid an extra $25 to be one...
Yep, understood about the qualifiers. My point is that he would still be eligible to qualify for their biggest championship by virtue of being considered a professional by the organizing body and its partners.