Old 04-17-2019, 01:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 59
Niced 142 Times in 84 Posts

Don't forget that the PDGA is supporting the DGPT, nearly a quarter of the world ranking is an average of your four best results. That'll get the best players there. The higher they're ranked the more leverage they'll have to negotiate with their sponsors.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,711 Times in 840 Posts

Performance Tracks

They look quite wiggly, indicating a lot of chances for big swings.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jonesboro2019PTs.jpg (80.1 KB, 214 views)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
As often occurs you are putting a whole lot of words in someone else's mouth. I directly addressed points you made on 2 specific events and the next thing i know I am claiming all sorts of things about how companies spend advertising dollars. Hint- arguing from the specific to the general is a logical fallacy known as illicit transference.
Let me apologize, it wasn't my intent to put words in your mouth.

It seems that you are saying there is little value to events in having video coverage. That those events have recognition without it.

I'm saying that there is value there, and I'm saying it based on what happens in the real world and with real-world research. For future reference, if I think someone has said something, I will write, "you said this." If I write something in a post, in reply to something someone posted, it doesn't necessarily mean that I've directly felt they addressed that issue. Simply that I'm providing information. Not everything that gets written on a thread, or even in reply, directly pertains to every person who has written a comment on that thread, or even in a post, at least by my perception. I could be wrong though...

Last, as I've written at least three times now, I think the point is moot, regardless. It doesn't matter if video coverage provides value to an event. What matters is that there is a pool of fans who watch the videos and who directly pay the video producers. There appears to be enough revenue there to justify their production. If by no other measure, then by the measure of, they're still doing it.

Please note, I don't think that every sentence here was in response to something you directly said, or even to a position you might have held or do hold. My perspective on why this happens is in response to numerous comments by multiple folks. I just happen to have posted it in a reply to one of your comments. If this bothers you then once again, I apologize.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Let me apologize, it wasn't my intent to put words in your mouth.

It seems that you are saying there is little value to events in having video coverage. That those events have recognition without it.

I'm saying that there is value there, and I'm saying it based on what happens in the real world and with real-world research. For future reference, if I think someone has said something, I will write, "you said this." If I write something in a post, in reply to something someone posted, it doesn't necessarily mean that I've directly felt they addressed that issue. Simply that I'm providing information. Not everything that gets written on a thread, or even in reply, directly pertains to every person who has written a comment on that thread, or even in a post, at least by my perception. I could be wrong though...

Last, as I've written at least three times now, I think the point is moot, regardless. It doesn't matter if video coverage provides value to an event. What matters is that there is a pool of fans who watch the videos and who directly pay the video producers. There appears to be enough revenue there to justify their production. If by no other measure, then by the measure of, they're still doing it.

Please note, I don't think that every sentence here was in response to something you directly said, or even to a position you might have held or do hold. My perspective on why this happens is in response to numerous comments by multiple folks. I just happen to have posted it in a reply to one of your comments. If this bothers you then once again, I apologize.
You know what, I reread my post, and you're correct. I was to direct in replying to you. You were correct. Sigh.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

If a disc goes in a basket and Jomez isn't there to tape it, does it make any sound?
So let's try again. What is the point of this comment? I just want to make sure I understand. Are you saying that Jomez brings no value to an event that it tapes? It feels that way, based on the language. Is my interpretation correct?
Old 04-17-2019, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,143 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
So let's try again. What is the point of this comment? I just want to make sure I understand. Are you saying that Jomez brings no value to an event that it tapes? It feels that way, based on the language. Is my interpretation correct?
My point is that the value of video coverage is a bit overblown at this point in the game. Events can and do run to the satisfaction of their TD's and staff and their players with or without it. For many TD's/events that is sufficient to meet their personal goals (which differ widely from one to the next). Obviously there is value in video coverage but it is not the be all end all it is portrayed as on the interwebs. It is just one part of a complex equation.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

If a disc goes in a basket and Jomez isn't there to tape it, does it make any sound?
Oh yeah, and to directly answer this question, one way or the other, well, the guys on the card hear it. If they have any friends with them, those guys might or might not hear it, if they're paying attention, and possibly, if the card has pros on it, some fans might hear it, a couple of hundred or so. If Jomez is there, I hear that 100,000 or so folks hear it.

I wonder if any of them buy discs?
Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
My point is that the value of video coverage is a bit overblown at this point in the game. Events can and do run to the satisfaction of their TD's and staff and their players with or without it. For many TD's/events that is sufficient to meet their personal goals (which differ widely from one to the next). Obviously there is value in video coverage but it is not the be all end all it is portrayed as on the interwebs. It is just one part of a complex equation.
Great points. Personal goals should be the top of all our priorities. Do you think that there is a long term growth potential in the expansion of video? As a note, and I'm not saying you've addressed this, it's a piece of info for you to consider. Last time I looked, the growth of views over a three year period, up to this year, went from an average of about 25,000 views per video to over 100,000, for Jomez. I think CCDG is behind that, although for a while they were up there too. Ian has personal goals, family I think, that means he can't do what Jomez does.

Last, thanks for your patience.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,143 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Great points. Personal goals should be the top of all our priorities. Do you think that there is a long term growth potential in the expansion of video? As a note, and I'm not saying you've addressed this, it's a piece of info for you to consider. Last time I looked, the growth of views over a three year period, up to this year, went from an average of about 25,000 views per video to over 100,000, for Jomez. I think CCDG is behind that, although for a while they were up there too. Ian has personal goals, family I think, that means he can't do what Jomez does.

Last, thanks for your patience.
IMO there is certainly potential for growth in media. It is sort of a chicken or the egg thing though as to whether the growth of the player base follows the growth of the media or vice versa- in reality I am sure it is some of both. I am both getting old and a bit of a Luddite so my perception of it is not going to be the same as that of someone half my age. I have however been heavily involved in almost every aspect of disc golf for a long time so like to think I can see how we got where we are currently with pretty good perspective.

Will there be more and better disc golf related media and will it become more popular? Unquestionably.

Will we ever see engagement/big dollars from folks outside the game? Much less likely. (not that there is anything wrong with that) YMMV.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,368 Times in 2,305 Posts