Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses > Course Design

View Poll Results: On a 300 foot hill, would you rather...
Climb to the top, throw mostly downhill holes, end at the bottom. 19 57.58%
Play mostly uphill holes to the top, throw one reachable downhill 800 foot hole. 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2019, 02:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
If I have to walk uphill for any reason you had better let me throw down. The worst is throwing an uphill hole and then walking down to the bottom to throw uphill again. Ugh.

(There’s a local course that does this, so I’m triggered)
My home course has a couple holes this way. It was a redesign forced by errant down hill shots disturbing a neighbor. To keep the course from getting pulled the down hill got reversed. Casual rules are throw both drives and walk up the hill once to putt out on one then the other.

Just because the hole is uphill doesn’t mean it sucks. Would much rather play uphill uphill uphill then back down than hike all the way up in one shot. Have had a few shotgun starts that are on near the highest elevation holes to start the round and hate it. Would rather play my way to the top every time.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 988 Times in 379 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
My home course has a couple holes this way. It was a redesign forced by errant down hill shots disturbing a neighbor. To keep the course from getting pulled the down hill got reversed. Casual rules are throw both drives and walk up the hill once to putt out on one then the other.

Just because the hole is uphill doesn’t mean it sucks. Would much rather play uphill uphill uphill then back down than hike all the way up in one shot. Have had a few shotgun starts that are on near the highest elevation holes to start the round and hate it. Would rather play my way to the top every time.
Yes it does.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 167
Niced 478 Times in 220 Posts

I would hope that the course designer would evaluate other options besides those listed. Drive to the middle, play a mix of uphill, downhill, side hill, diagonal, etc. holes.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-28-2019, 06:49 PM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 267 Times in 169 Posts
Cool

Downhill is amazing for internet distance so you say you threw a 500 ft hyzer when in reality you really throw 350
Old 05-28-2019, 09:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 116
Niced 212 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
300 foot hill. Would you rather:

Climb to the top, throw mostly downhill holes, end at the bottom.

or

Play mostly uphill holes to the top, throw one reachable downhill 800 foot hole.
I think this is a trick question...climb to the top ? Climbing while throwing of not throwing?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 183
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

Elevation change in disc golf can (rarely) turn into too much of a good thing. Finding a balance between the two is part of what makes a great course. One of my favorite local courses, Orange Crush, has an epic stretch from hole 10 to 16. Hole 10 is a gentle/long downhill, 11 is a pretty steep one, 13 is another steep downhill, and 16 another steep one. Any one of these could be a signature hole at most courses nation wide, as those excellent steep downhills are some of the most memorable on the course. I've always just accepted that some of those holes (12 in particular) are bound to be "ordinary" or maybe less enjoyable/memorable because you need to gain elevation again.

Now the OP is getting at the philosophy of uphill versus downhill. In terms of course design, well-designed uphill shots fill in a course with a unique challenge while bringing us back to the higher tees. I respect that. There's one course I remember in southern California, Brengle Terrace, that seemed to go out of its way to prevent downhill shots. I think that made the course safer for pedestrians, but it was frustrating and even insulting as a disc golfer, because the design forced you to walk up lots of hills without being able to throw down any (okay, MOST) of them.

TLDR: if you're a designer, accept the challenge. Use the up of your hills just as well as the down.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 183
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

The other extreme are ski courses. I haven't played many, but most (Wisp Resort at Deep Creek, MD, is one) solve the problem by letting you ride a lift to the top. That particular course has a >15 minute lift ride and then 9 decent holes to the bottom. Only two are "top of the world" type of shots, with around four other less dramatic downhill variations. The top of the world shots make the course, that's for sure, but I'd still take a better designed up-and-down type of course. The terrain in this part of the country (western Maryland, western/central Virginia, southwestern Pennsylvania, West Virginia, eastern Kentucky) lends itself really well to that kind of up/down sort of course, and it's really a waste not to use it.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:35 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 519
Niced 710 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
300 foot hill. Would you rather:

Climb to the top, throw mostly downhill holes, end at the bottom.

or

Play mostly uphill holes to the top, throw one reachable downhill 800 foot hole.

I have played many ski resort courses and mountain courses. A lift to the top to play all the way down is awesome but not always an available option. For the mountain courses without lifts, the most enjoyable to play are those that TRAVERSE the landscape. It still allows the opportunity for couple of mostly up holes and/or a couple of mostly down holes. Great example is Sky High, CA. 27 holes, each 9 wraps back to the lodge/parking area.

If I do have to hike to the top (no lifts), I prefer a gentle traverse to the top like Kirkwood Ski, CA or Jackson, WY Of course a couple of really long finishing holes are the super fun reward for the trek up. I really don't like throwing a hole straight up and then walking over and playing one straight down or vice versa.

Craig Getty in the Lake Tahoe Region is an excellent designer of courses with elevation changes including ski resorts. I am sure he would be willing to share design advice with you. Please PM me if you want his contact info.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,839 Times in 1,584 Posts

Best use of a hill in a course is to get as wide a variety of shots as possible, same as any other landscape. Uphill, downhill, sidehill (in both directions), flat. Much rather have an equal share of all of those than either of the options in the poll.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

Seems not many people understand the concept of "would you rather"...

More from my angle. Many of the courses in my area have a bit of a walk to the first hole. Some if you don't pay to park you have to walk up a hill to start. Quite a few reviews i've seen ding a course for having to walk to the first hole. seems odd to me since you are about to walk a few miles while playing... but meh... opinions and all that. Then as well my home course those that park at "the bottom of the hill" ish for free, most rather than walk up choose to start at hole 3 or 6 depending on where they parked.

My guess is that most people would rather not start a round by walking up a hill, but rather play up and down.
i mean there are lots of hills I think it would be cool to throw a disc from the top... but i'd rather go play a course than walk up to the top of the hill for the sole purpose of throwing the disc down.